(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

39 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Didn't realise Wenger, Pochettino or Conte were in for the St Mirren job. Understandable though. I mean this gig only comes up every couple of years.

just call it the Steve Clarke effect...

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m struggling to believe we are replacing JR with Stubbs. What a shite appointment.

Oh

Enjoy your season back in the top flight..

If you stick with him, he could give the Championship a good go in 2020

I don't see the pressing need for the new manager to have experience of Scottish football. Things like language barriers need to be considered but there is plenty of resource available (assuming the club already have scouts/analysts) to quickly build up a good knowledge of the Scottish game and its clubs if St Mirren did look down south or abroad.

Jim McIntyre, for example, is a decent manager but not exactly an appointment to set the pulses racing.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Stubbs is the best of a bad lot of those remaining. Assuming Mellon is out the running. 

Certainly better than Caldwell or Mcintyre. 

You think? Stubbs seemed like a complete failure at Hibs who was verging on being sacked before winning the cup, he then jumped ship at the first opportunity, to the relief of Hibs fans. 

Judge him on league results only and I'm not sure he looks good at all. 

Stubbs had us playing some good football but we routinely fucked up against teams who would battle and defend like f**k for 90 minutes. We had a good record against Premiership sides in the cups and against Rangers in the Championship but finishing below and then being beaten by Falkirk in the playoffs was a minter. 

He’s a legend at Hibs but I don’t think i’d want him back if Lennon was to leave.

You think? Stubbs seemed like a complete failure at Hibs who was verging on being sacked before winning the cup, he then jumped ship at the first opportunity, to the relief of Hibs fans. 
Judge him on league results only and I'm not sure he looks good at all. 

Agreed. From the outside looking in cup win aside, Stubbs seemed to be doing a very unremarkable job at Hibs.

Archived