Save Leith Walk

There's a proposed development planned for the sandstone building between Stead's Place and Jane Street for student flats. There's a lot of strong feeling in the area against this and Leith losing a lot of what makes the area so good.

Regardless of your football team please lend a bit of support to the cause against it. This is a welcoming area of the capital city and no matter what team you support you'll always meet a friend here.

https://www.facebook.com/saveleithwalk/

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a proposed development planned for the sandstone building between Stead's Place and Jane Street for student flats. There's a lot of strong feeling in the area against this and Leith losing a lot of what makes the area so good.
Regardless of your football team please lend a bit of support to the cause against it. This is a welcoming area of the capital city and no matter what team you support you'll always meet a friend here.
https://www.facebook.com/saveleithwalk/

Is that the block where the Leith Depot is?

15 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Football rivalries aside, you're a cretin.

Bit harsh.

I think people love the idea of Leith Walk, and see it as some glamorous part of the city when in all honesty most people will be passing through it looking at phones, waiting for buses etc. Apart from the (falsely imho kwam) romanticised notion that it's one of the last bastions of cultural significance in Edinburgh, there isn't anything genuinely enthralling about the area. A trinket shop you may use once every two years pales in significance to the housing need of students, young families etc. 

Leith is shite.

I was just thinking the other month when I was down the walk for the first time in ages that Leith is fucked when the gentrification gets to the bed shop. It's great when you have a mix of the old shops, crazy locals and auld man boozers with the new cafes, restaurants and bars but it goes past a tipping point and the sense of place just becomes generic.

Unfortunately due to the tax breaks that are now in place for building students accommodation we are going to see more and more of them being built.

The walk used to be great in the 70’s and early 80’s. Had a lot of great clothes shops and Indian material shops for people who used to make their own clothes. Mind you, that is a dying art now. Years back there used to be loads of places that sold designs for clothes. When I got married, we bought the material and then had the bridesmaids dresses hand made for a fraction of the cost of buying them ready made.

10 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

There's a proposed development planned for the sandstone building between Stead's Place and Jane Street for student flats.

Excellent.  Hope all goes well with the development.  Certainly when we lived in Edinburgh there was no point in going beyond Valvona and Crolla.  Trust that this will now change.

26 minutes ago, supermik said:

Google is your friend. Search for tax breaks on purpose built student accommodation 

Cheers, but I didn't see anything that wouldn't apply to any other commercial properties. Are there specific tax breaks for purpose built student accommodation?

9 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Cheers, but I didn't see anything that wouldn't apply to any other commercial properties. Are there specific tax breaks for purpose built student accommodation?

Maybe you have answered your own questions. Do private property builders get the same breaks as commercial?

Archived