How many Junior clubs will start next season?

theesel1994

11 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Dunipace are leaving the West Region.

? clubs are leaving the East Region.

Inverness City are taking a year out.

I don't know of any that are joining.

So........what's the numbers for next season?

You can subtract Lewis United for sure - they've folded. Rumours (TBC) that Newburgh Thistle and Spey Valley United are away as well.

Maybe down as much as 20+  on the 160-odd that started last season.

24 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Maybe down as much as 20+  on the 160-odd that started last season.

I think this season it was 60 east, 64 west and 34 north, for a total of 158. 

There won't be many games in the first round of the Scottish.

Are Bonnyrigg one of those clubs leaving? What happens to the East Regions spot in the Senior Scottish Cup if they win the League? Does it go to the runners up? That isn't fair to the clubs finishing runners up in the West and North. Or isn't it used?

11 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Are Bonnyrigg one of those clubs leaving? What happens to the East Regions spot in the Senior Scottish Cup if they win the League? Does it go to the runners up? That isn't fair to the clubs finishing runners up in the West and North. Or isn't it used?

Pretty sure they take it with them. Kelty used theirs this season to lose to their near-nemesis, LTHV, 1-0 in Preliminary Round 1.  The north spot wasn't used this season and won't be next season, because the league was won by Banks O'Dee who are licensed anyway. 

6 hours ago, theesel1994 said:

I think provisionally there are 47 East, 63 West and 32 North so you’d only have 14 ties in the first round of the Scottish. If Newburgh and Speyside folded and a couple more East teams left for EOS then it could easily be single figures for first round ties.

3 hours ago, ShrimpLok said:

I think provisionally there are 47 East, 63 West and 32 North so you’d only have 14 ties in the first round of the Scottish. If Newburgh and Speyside folded and a couple more East teams left for EOS then it could easily be single figures for first round ties.

It’s kind of a provisional round anyway so it’s no big change. If it went below the 128 mark, then it would be significant with one round less.

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

It’s kind of a provisional round anyway so it’s no big change. If it went below the 128 mark, then it would be significant with one round less.

The big change is so many bigger east teams leaving the juniors, this weekends final will be the last credible winner in my opinion.  With the west teams not taking matters into there own hands I honestly fear for the future of the west juniors teams having the SJFA negotiating on there behalf it will go 1 way they will keep it as it is. The outcome will be that scottish cup and league winners will no longer get a pop at the big scottish as those places will get eaten up with teams who have joined the pyramid and got licensed.  

20 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Didn't they fold the 2nd time as they had no support owing to having no local players?

Good to see them back if true, brings it back to 4x16 as well which is nice.

Correct.

Just to be rubber stamped at AGM so I'm reliably informed.

Only fly in the ointment is they want to use Tileworks  Park which means a groundshare arrangement with Royal Albert( as if the fixtures aren't complicated enough)

3 hours ago, kenny131 said:

The big change is so many bigger east teams leaving the juniors, this weekends final will be the last credible winner in my opinion. 

Since it's a decade since an East team won the Cup I think yet another  winner from the west will remain very credible.

The big change is so many bigger east teams leaving the juniors, this weekends final will be the last credible winner in my opinion.  With the west teams not taking matters into there own hands I honestly fear for the future of the west juniors teams having the SJFA negotiating on there behalf it will go 1 way they will keep it as it is. The outcome will be that scottish cup and league winners will no longer get a pop at the big scottish as those places will get eaten up with teams who have joined the pyramid and got licensed.  
Good point. Also think the east teams have nowt to lose as their leagues are not as strong as in the west

3 hours ago, Khufu2 said:

Since it's a decade since an East team won the Cup I think yet another  winner from the west will remain very credible.

Makes no difference the cup will be poorer without the big east teams simple as that we already have a west cup.

Bonnyrigg, Kelty, Musselburgh have all been in latter stages or finals in very recent memory, and Camelon had some Junior Cup finals (winning one) in the 90s. These clubs leaving have weakened the East's contribution to the SJC considerably. *If* Linlithgow and Bo'ness were to follow in due course, it would be compounded.

22 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Bonnyrigg, Kelty, Musselburgh have all been in latter stages or finals in very recent memory, and Camelon had some Junior Cup finals (winning one) in the 90s. These clubs leaving have weakened the East's contribution to the SJC considerably. *If* Linlithgow and Bo'ness were to follow in due course, it would be compounded.

I really thought pollok would be the 1s to show the way in the west, out all the junior clubs east and west I think pollok would have progressed further than anyone the potential at your club is huge and could easily seen you in the spfl pushing for the championship over time. 

Archived