Why? [emoji23]

Who scored more last season? I’ve not looked but I’m sure Gallagher got more than 1? Gallagher is a wee pacey bullish player, Loy is anything but.

Same goes with Baird, who actually had a not too bad return, how is saying he’s a better signing so ridiculous when he scored more in the same league last year?

I’m not sure what’s so daft about what I am saying here. Its the only reason I’m replying, stats all backing me up. It’s like Rangers fans getting excited over Kranjcar or Alves, going off past reputation and the name.

You’ve got Falkirk fans in here saying he was terrible last year and he’d struggle to get a game for the Shire. Boys that have watched him all season.

He’ll be a good player and it IS a good signing but there’s a shout of 25 goals ffs... His goal last season shouldn’t even count, it was against Brechin.

You can bend stats any way you like to fit an argument and based on those alone I can't argue with you. But I'm sure there were sides last year in the UK that would for example have conceded less league goals than Celtic, but it doesn't mean they're a better team does it? (It's a wild example I know, but it's the first one that comes to mind to disprove your straw-clutching statistic drive.

Gallagher is a solid squad player whereas Loy could prove to be outstanding for us at this level. And I doubt you'd find many championship or League One fans who'd openly choose SealGal over Loy.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hope Rory does well for you next season. He was fantastic first time round with us but sadly things didn't work out for him second time round.

If he gets his head back in the game he could be a cracking signing.

All the best for next season.

25 goals is hardly a ridiculous shout. One bad season, the season previous he was excellent on loan at St Mirren at a higher level. Lawrence Shankland only managed 4 goals in 33 appearances before signing for Ayr!

Shankland a pacey strong young player with a point to prove. I don’t think you’ll get a better attacking side than Ayr in this league for a long time. Absolutely superb going forward.

Loy on the other hand has never been that kind of player and is coming to the end of his career. Like I said I think Baird is better suited to League 1. If Loy hits 25 I’ll come on here and apologise.

If I was a Dumbarton fan I would very much be looking forward to this season, on paper they’ve made some very solid signings and they should be at the right end of the league. You don’t get much better at centre half at PT than Dowie and Barr, Hutton should be solid in the centre of the park alongside a very good player in Forbes and you’ve got pace in the team with Gallagher and Barr. There’s even a good goalscorer hiding in Loy somewhere. [emoji6]

Everything very positive. I’m just not surprised to see Loy in this league, it seems like the next natural step with the way things have gone for him so far. I think he’ll do well, just think some of the shouts have been a bit OTT. That is all.

Have a good evening and get this bookmarked for when he scores 40.

25 goals is hardly a ridiculous shout. One bad season, the season previous he was excellent on loan at St Mirren at a higher level. Lawrence Shankland only managed 4 goals in 33 appearances before signing for Ayr!

This is very true.

However I would add that while Dumbarton fans are getting themselves very excited over Loy, which is expected considering he’s done well at a higher level, most Ayr fans looked at the Shankland signing as very uninspiring. We’ve never been more wrong.

Whether Loy can have a similar season to Shankland is up for debate. Imo they are two completely different strikers but it wouldn’t be a huge shock to see Loy bang in 20+ goals and be the difference in who wins the league.

To clarify I’m pretty impressed with how Dumbarton have gone about their business. If they managed to get Stirling back on loan they’d be doing pretty well ahead of a big season.

26 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Really hope Rory does well for you next season. He was fantastic first time round with us but sadly things didn't work out for him second time round.

If he gets his head back in the game he could be a cracking signing.

All the best for next season.

Take care of Froxy. 

Not that he's our player anymore, but the latest on Nade's trial is in today's Record - clicky. Didn't realise that his girlfriend was Durrant's niece. 

I’m fairly confident he’s not guilty based on the other info I’ve heard, but, that would have one hell of an awkward atmosphere in the dressing room.

5 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

I'm glad Loy has signed for you guys rather than a team in our division. I really hope he finds his form again for yous. Was fantastic for us first time round and pre season and the first 20mins of the opener against St Mirren. Got injured then a downward spiral followed which I believe was due to circumstances off the field. Wish him all the best and will be looking out for your results next season to see if he can get his confidence back and concentrate on what he is good at. 

It makes me wonder if there was a clause in what definitely was a pay off for him from us, in that he could go but not sign for a team in our division, I know that its a bit outlandish but I don't think anyone seen him signing for Dumbarton.

3 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Any striker who claims to be a goalscorer should easily get 20+ goals in this league

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Loy on the other hand has never been that kind of player and is coming to the end of his career. Like I said I think Baird is better suited to League 1. If Loy hits 25 I’ll come on here and apologise.

If I was a Dumbarton fan I would very much be looking forward to this season, on paper they’ve made some very solid signings and they should be at the right end of the league. You don’t get much better at centre half at PT than Dowie and Barr, Hutton should be solid in the centre of the park alongside a very good player in Forbes and you’ve got pace in the team with Gallagher and Barr. There’s even a good goalscorer hiding in Loy somewhere. emoji6.png

Everything very positive. I’m just not surprised to see Loy in this league, it seems like the next natural step with the way things have gone for him so far. I think he’ll do well, just think some of the shouts have been a bit OTT. That is all.

Have a good evening and get this bookmarked for when he scores 40.

Loy is 30 ffs and has been a very fit player in the time bar last season with us, his work rate was phenomenal in his first spell, he of course has had a few bad injuries over the years which wont help his case in his later years but at 30 and spending the summer I believe getting himself fit should see him easily score 20+ goals at this level.....if his head is in the right place

I wish Loy all the best, part of me still had an inkling that he may remain a Falkirk player and get back to what he did in his first spell but the head knew him and Hartley didnt see eye to eye and it was a case of when he was leaving.

I honestly and sure many Dumbarton fans never seen this happening, I thought he would remain in our league or at worse for us, rot on his big contract.

A little question for sons, is there a parachute payment for teams who get relegated from the championship ?

4 hours ago, MrDust said:

It makes me wonder if there was a clause in what definitely was a pay off for him from us, in that he could go but not sign for a team in our division, I know that its a bit outlandish but I don't think anyone seen him signing for Dumbarton.

Any striker who claims to be a goalscorer should easily get 20+ goals in this league

Loy is 30 ffs and has been a very fit player in the time bar last season with us, his work rate was phenomenal in his first spell, he of course has had a few bad injuries over the years which wont help his case in his later years but at 30 and spending the summer I believe getting himself fit should see him easily score 20+ goals at this level.....if his head is in the right place

I wish Loy all the best, part of me still had an inkling that he may remain a Falkirk player and get back to what he did in his first spell but the head knew him and Hartley didnt see eye to eye and it was a case of when he was leaving.

I honestly and sure many Dumbarton fans never seen this happening, I thought he would remain in our league or at worse for us, rot on his big contract.

A little question for sons, is there a parachute payment for teams who get relegated from the championship ?

No parachute payment. As has been said, it looks like our stadium sponsors have played a big part in this by giving him a job on the railways. He apparently had offers from Dunfermline and Raith.

No parachute payment. As has been said, it looks like our stadium sponsors have played a big part in this by giving him a job on the railways. He apparently had offers from Dunfermline and Raith.
Our chairman also thanks them on our OS on the article about Loy signing. Having a partner who can offer players well paid full time work is massively helping us bridge the gap.

I fully expect our squad will now be filled out with cheaper loans and backup players, bar Carswell (where the f**k is he?) and a 1st choice right back. I'm absolutely fine with that tbh, we have got a really strong starting 11 for this level and we may get lucky and uncover a gem in the loan market. Last season we ran with a massive squad of average/shite Championship players (bar 2 or 3) with zero quality in attack other than Froxy who was either wasted out wide or left on the bench. The fact we've addressed that so early is encouraging.

FWIW I'm not remotely expecting us to win this league, I'll be hoping for the playoffs. Despite the doom and gloom from Raith fans they will add some more players and the full-time fitness advantage over the course of a season is huge.

Maybe the guy fancied a change? By all accounts he was suffering depression last year, maybe a step back from football day in day out is what he needs. Or maybe he's completely finished despite being a perfectly good Championship striker in 2017. Nobody knows for certain, but you can't sit there and tell me that if Arbroath had signed Loy you wouldn't be ripping the heid right aff it right now.
He said the same on our thread about Daryl Duffy.

9 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Bourkey was PE teacher at St Columba's in Crosshill I think. Bobby Brown (manager of the 1967 Wembley side) was my PE teacher for a while.

It was Holyrood Secondary he taught me at, yes it was in Crosshill though. 

45 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our chairman also thanks them on our OS on the article about Loy signing. Having a partner who can offer players well paid full time work is massively helping us bridge the gap.

I fully expect our squad will now be filled out with cheaper loans and backup players, bar Carswell (where the f**k is he?) and a 1st choice right back. I'm absolutely fine with that tbh, we have got a really strong starting 11 for this level and we may get lucky and uncover a gem in the loan market. Last season we ran with a massive squad of average/shite Championship players (bar 2 or 3) with zero quality in attack other than Froxy who was either wasted out wide or left on the bench. The fact we've addressed that so early is encouraging.

FWIW I'm not remotely expecting us to win this league, I'll be hoping for the playoffs. Despite the doom and gloom from Raith fans they will add some more players and the full-time fitness advantage over the course of a season is huge.

Not sure which article I read but Atiken said the Carswell deal was verbally agreed but he’s away on holiday so the paperwork will be filled out when he gets back.

(Would have thought by now it would be emailed over they sign in and email it back, job done) 

20 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Not sure which article I read but Atiken said the Carswell deal was verbally agreed but he’s away on holiday so the paperwork will be filled out when he gets back.

(Would have thought by now it would be emailed over they sign in and email it back, job done) 

The Carsy deal is, unless something's changed dramatically in the past week, just a matter of formality. He's on holiday at the minute, so it's just a case of waiting until he's back and then organising a time to get down to the stadium to complete the paperwork as far as I know.

I think he'll have to physically sign it and, unless he can find a fax machine in the hotel, that'll be why it's not official yet.

Archived