Gaelic Gaelic

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Scandalous that Scots isn't taught in schools and we are the only nation in the UK lacking a primary indigenous language (Gaelic only ever being confined to a small part of the country).

I am not sure Scotland ever had a primary indigenous language universally understood and spoken across all areas other than English, so it's hardly surprising that our regionally native languages aren't taught across all schools. 

The same could be said of France, Italy and Germany. Each region of those countries traditionally has had different languages or very distinct dialect to effectively make it a different language, where the nationally spoken and taught language is the universal language.

At one point Gaelic was spoken in every part of Scotland as a community language and the language of church and state other than Shetland, Orkney and probably Roxburghshire.

It's southern boundary in the 19th century would have been the Clyde, Forth and Earn. Pre- industrial revolution this would have been a significant part of the Scottish population, not a kick in the arse of 50%.

By all means teach Scots though.

I'm not sure what the issue is with never having one indigenous universal language. Save that pish for weird little ethno states.

The fact Scotland has at least 5 languages spoken as community languages over the last 1000 years is cool as f**k and more should be made of it.

On 04/10/2022 at 14:54, lau03143 said:

I am not sure Scotland ever had a primary indigenous language universally understood and spoken across all areas other than English, so it's hardly surprising that our regionally native languages aren't taught across all schools. 

The same could be said of France, Italy and Germany. Each region of those countries traditionally has had different languages or very distinct dialect to effectively make it a different language, where the nationally spoken and taught language is the universal language.

This sentence could apply to all languages (including English). Scots became the official language of Scotland in the mid 14th Century.

I'm not criticising Gaelic in the slightest, if anything it's a template that Scots could also follow. There's no doubt that for the almost of the last 600-700 years there has been more Scots speakers than Gaelic speakers in Scotland.

On 04/10/2022 at 18:31, DiegoDiego said:

Well that's simply not true.

You're right, sorry, it was widespread in the country around 1000 years, and still relatively widespread around 500 years ago.

They first measured total Gaelic speakers in 1891 and it was 6.3% of the population.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Duolingo have updated their app and it's absolutely atrocious, not user friendly at all, don't think I'll be continuing my subscription next year, will need to find another outlet to learn 

https://speakgaelic.scot/

I salute anyone with the patience to thole the wacky jokes repeated again and again and again on duolinguo.

Duolingo have updated their app and it's absolutely atrocious, not user friendly at all, don't think I'll be continuing my subscription next year, will need to find another outlet to learn 
Duolingo do seem to have made some poor choices over the last few years. Perhaps it's been helping their bottom line but I'm not sure it's been helping people learn languages which is their stated aim.

The browser version has always been far superior to the application.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Duolingo do seem to have made some poor choices over the last few years. Perhaps it's been helping their bottom line but I'm not sure it's been helping people learn languages which is their stated aim.

The browser version has always been far superior to the application.

The web browser version has went the same way as the app