Gaelic Gaelic

I'm with David Mitchell on this. It's not in any way high on my interest list but if a language can't support itself then it should be left to die.

Plenty of art, books, culture, and history tied up with Gaelic, but ultimately a language needs to be able to keep going without state funding.

Is there a single book of any significance that was first published in Gaelic?

5 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Official language of China, big place between Japan and India, lots of people, not too many Pandas, you must have heard of it!

Its a group of languages and dialects. 

Perhaps you mean Mandrin. 

33 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Is there a single book of any significance that was first published in Gaelic?

The Book of Deer? Haven't read it but it sounds riveting. Also it depends what you mean by publishing. If you mean printed works then most of the biggies were probably first published in Latin or German. If you mean written and copied then Arabic, Latin and Greek.

The Book of Deer? Haven't read it but it sounds riveting. Also it depends what you mean by publishing. If you mean printed works then most of the biggies were probably first published in Latin or German. If you mean written and copied then Arabic, Latin and Greek.

If we’re talking about the same book of deer then that’s in Latin with notes scribbled in Gaelic in the margins

http://bookofdeer.co.uk/

15 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If we’re talking about the same book of deer then that’s in Latin with notes scribbled in Gaelic in the margins

http://bookofdeer.co.uk/

I don't think it's fair to slam a language that was mainly used and remembered in oral form and whose priests wrote in Latin for not setting up a publishing industry in Stornoway  or wherever. There was a few mad monks writing fictional history in England before they nicked the printing press from Germany, but that was about it, apart from a few Germanic poems or Viking folk tales. err or shit like the Magna Carta etc... :shutup

Edited by welshbairn

• Kejan changed the title to Gaelic Gaelic
9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think it's fair to slam a language that was mainly used and remembered in oral form and whose priests wrote in Latin for not setting up a publishing industry in Stornoway  or wherever. There was a few mad monks writing fictional history in England before they nicked the printing press from Germany, but that was about it, apart from a few Germanic poems or Viking folk tales. err or shit like the Magna Carta etc... :shutup

I wasn't actually asking about ancient tomes.  I meant "Has the been a single book ever"

@pandarilla had suggested there were "Plenty of books tied up with Gaelic"  I was expressing scepticism about the existence of a worthwhile Gaelic Literature 

25 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I wasn't actually asking about ancient tomes.  I meant "Has the been a single book ever"

@pandarilla had suggested there were "Plenty of books tied up with Gaelic"  I was expressing scepticism about the existence of a worthwhile Gaelic Literature 

There has been lots of poetry and a fair few novels and plays. Wiki  But considering the Gaelic speaking population is under 60,000 it's a bit like asking if any great novel has come out of Livingstone, that only people in Livingstone could read. Any Gaelic speaking writers in the last few centuries would have written in English if they had any hope of getting published

I understand there are some Welsh people who have Welsh as a first language, English second. Does anyone in Scotland have Gaelic first and English second? If not, there doesn't seem much point in putting it on signs etc - anyone who speaks it will also speak English anyway. Whoever said it's largely for tourism is probably not far off.

On 21/05/2018 at 20:59, DrewDon said:

It seems to annoy the right sort of person, so, on that basis, I'm all for it. 

On 21/05/2018 at 22:30, chomp my root said:

Happy for the teuchtars to hold on to it if it suits them but I'm not for the rewriting of history that its some great Scottish lingua franca-esq part of our history. No problems with train stations etc having the dual languages oop norf but not too sure about some of the lowland ones, especially New Towns it a bit revisionist for this cat.

o.jpg

21 hours ago, banana said:

Absolute waste of time unless you live in a Gaelic area. Better off learning Latin, Chinese, or Arabic.

DrewDon, spot on.

31 minutes ago, nsr said:

I understand there are some Welsh people who have Welsh as a first language, English second. Does anyone in Scotland have Gaelic first and English second? If not, there doesn't seem much point in putting it on signs etc - anyone who speaks it will also speak English anyway. Whoever said it's largely for tourism is probably not far off.

It's about keeping a language and culture alive, not just passing information.