Gaelic Gaelic

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It would probably be better still for tourists if we had multilingual signage in languages that tourists read.

The vast majority of tourists can read Latin script and so pretty everywhere apart from Edinburgh looks exactly the same in their own languages. 

Couldn't care less about Gaelic either way but the status of Scots should be actively cultivated; three centuries of simpering, cultural cringing has been responsible for the decline of this old and distinct language of the country.

About two years ago I was on the subway and I overheard a guy looking at one of the "teach your kids Gaelic" signs and telling the woman he was with "aye that's Alec Salmond's gallic mafia that did that"

So my official position is that it's a complete waste of time, but I've no doubt the people who're annoyed by it in anyway deserve to be annoyed by this sort of thing as much as possible, so batter on.

The vast majority of tourists can read Latin script and so pretty everywhere apart from Edinburgh looks exactly the same in their own languages. 
Couldn't care less about Gaelic either way but the status of Scots should be actively cultivated; three centuries of simpering, cultural cringing has been responsible for the decline of this old and distinct language of the country.
Often wonder why the Highland clearances and the systematic destruction of various very distinctive Scottish ways of life doesn't still carry more weight than it does. Seems to be a little discussed footnote of history when in reality, it was a cultural genocide that goes hand in hand with the "union" we still endure.

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Compared to the neo-fascist policies of other governments, having "Police" written on police cars in a language not heard in this part of the country for about 700 years seems quite a harmless activity.  

Harmless, if also a bit pointless.

The Highland Clearances have brought about a lot of debate and interest; historians of Scotland like Tom Devine (Chapters 18/19 of The Scottish Nation) argue that similar, though less extreme changes to Lowland rural society have largely been overlooked as a result. But the agenda of those who still present the Scots' language as either an inferior alternative to 'proper' English or even as a 'ned' form of speech in recent decades is rarely acknowledged. 

55 minutes ago, HenryHill said:

Harmless, if also a bit pointless.

I don’t speak fluent Italian but if I was in Italy and saw a car that had what appeared to be two policemen in it and the word “Polizia” or whatever written on it, I’d guess it was a police car. Writing POILEAS in equal sized letters under POLICE on our police cars seems a bit patronising to the Gaels.

The Mod in Airdrie was universally accepted to be a complete disaster, even though pub opening hours were extended. They were full of hand knitted gonks yodelling and fiddling. Thankfully they won't be back, but we're still stuck with stupid street signs to remind us daily that these goons still drain our resources.

34 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The Mod in Airdrie was universally accepted to be a complete disaster, even though pub opening hours were extended. They were full of hand knitted gonks yodelling and fiddling. Thankfully they won't be back, but we're still stuck with stupid street signs to remind us daily that these goons still drain our resources.

Shame that the money that has been spent, and continues to be spent on these stupid street signs couldn't be spent on something useful like repairing potholes in the streets. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't know any Gaelic but it's easier to understand than Doric.

True.  I recall explaining to someone that "Fit like loon" is just somebody asking how you are.

To which, I was then asked "And how should you reply?"

I think that bi-lingual signs should be used to reflect that a place was bi-lingual - even if it is less so now.  If that meant English and some other language - then the sign should be that other language.  Places like Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Pitsligo, Gardenstown and elsewhere in the North East all have Doric names that have been used in the past and possibly in the present.  It makes more sense to use those authentic names and not Gaelic names that the natives have never used.

10 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I am sure there have been some tourists who wanted a taxi to the airport.

"Which one?"

"Port Adhair.  I think I saw a sign.  Yes.  That's the one we want."

The only Adhair that taxi drivers know is Johnny Adair.

Related image

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Best way we can get those types on board is for the Daily Rags to print the headline “NOW MORE ARABIC SPEAKERS THAN GAELIC IN SCOTLAND”

And then watch as they all say it’s a disgrace and we should all be speaking Gaelic.

Is there? Fucking liberty! Where can I learn this Gaelic shit?

9 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

True.  I recall explaining to someone that "Fit like loon" is just somebody asking how you are.

To which, I was then asked "And how should you reply?"

I think that bi-lingual signs should be used to reflect that a place was bi-lingual - even if it is less so now.  If that meant English and some other language - then the sign should be that other language.  Places like Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Pitsligo, Gardenstown and elsewhere in the North East all have Doric names that have been used in the past and possibly in the present.  It makes more sense to use those authentic names and not Gaelic names that the natives have never used.

I needed to buy something in a sports shop in Peterhead and the shop girls were chatting facing away from me behind the counter. I was utterly convinced they were Polish or some other Eastern European country. One of them noticed me and apologised in perfect RP with a mild Scots tang.

27 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Shame that the money that has been spent, and continues to be spent on these stupid street signs couldn't be spent on something useful like repairing potholes in the streets. 

A compromise

Pothole.jpg

I'm with David Mitchell on this. It's not in any way high on my interest list but if a language can't support itself then it should be left to die.

Plenty of art, books, culture, and history tied up with Gaelic, but ultimately a language needs to be able to keep going without state funding.

I'm with David Mitchell on this. It's not in any way high on my interest list but if a language can't support itself then it should be left to die.

Plenty of art, books, culture, and history tied up with Gaelic, but ultimately a language needs to be able to keep going without state funding.

What about languages that are deliberately targeted or oppressed?

29 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm broadly with you, I've no issue with a bit of assistance to a traditional language that's struggling (like Gaelic) but if its an ever decreasing circle then its sort of pointless, leave it as a curiosity.  The world changes and everyone wants to speak American. ;)

I had no idea the ex Dee goalie was as philosophical though, nice one.