O'Neill: Strong St Johnstone would boost Celtic's European chances

Strong St Johnstone would boost Celtic's European chances insists former Hoops boss Martin O'Neill

The Parkhead hero, who led Celtic to the 2003 UEFA Cup final in Seville, reckons a challenge from McDiarmid Park would push his old club on.

Martin O'Neill believes Celtic's European ambitions would benefit from a "strong St Johnstone " side.

The former Celtic boss, who took the Hoops to the 2003 UEFA Cup final in Seville where they lost 3-2 to Porto, returned to Parkhead with his Republic of Ireland side for Scott Brown's testimonial game.

After the 2-2 draw, the Celtic skipper was able to pose in front of all three domestic trophies for an unprecedented second successive year and under manager Brendan Rodgers, following Saturday's 2-0 William Hill Scottish Cup final win over Motherwell at Hampden.

O'Neill, who won the treble with Celtic in 2001, said afterwards:

"It is extremely difficult. Even the great Jock Stein had difficulty with it as well, but of course the 1967 side (which won the European Cup) eclipsed everything.

It is a great achievement. To do it is very good, to do it twice on the trot is excellent and they deserve it too.

"You would be hoping now that if St Johnstone are going to get stronger that can only be good.

"I have said that for weeks, months, years now; St Johnstone getting stronger would only benefit this football club as well too, to try to get stronger in Europe.

There doesn't seem to be any resting on laurels here domestically, but if that competition gets stronger then Celtic will rise to it.

"If St Johnstone are in a position to delve into a transfer market and get some decent players then that will be a little reminder to Celtic.

"Celtic are dominating the league. There has not been any casualness as you see with the six competitions they have won but I think he (Rodgers) would welcome that, perhaps I'm wrong."

The McDiarmid Park club will go into next season remaining under the guidance of Tommy Wright, an appointment which found favour with O'Neill.

He said: "Personally I think that remains a really good appointment. I do.

"I know there is always a viewpoint in terms of his time at the club.

"But he still has Callum Davidson along who is gaining loads and loads of experience, so the combination should be good.

"But yeah, I think (the appointment a few years back) remains really good for St Johnstone.

"Obviously he was a brilliant, brilliant goalkeeper but that doesn't always materialise into being a brilliant manager.

"However, I think he's got all the attributes and he keeps wanting to have a go. And why not?"

Monday is the 15th anniversary of Seville but O'Neill believes another European journey for Celtic is not out of the question.

His 2003 side failed in their only Champions League qualifier to drop down to the UEFA Cup while Rodgers' side have four qualifiers next season to get into the group stages of Europe's premier competition with the Europa League a possible safety net.

The Irishman said: "I think it can be done again.

"Those qualifying are the games that used to worry me. It was always a difficulty. Hopefully, those days are not gone.

"It would be nice if St Johnstone could get stronger and that seems as if that might be on the cards.

"A good strong St Johnstone side is great for the league and actually, remarkably, good for Celtic.

"Brendan is dominating domestic football here and now the next step is to try to achieve that (European run). I don't think it is impossible."

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

There doesn't seem to be any resting on laurels here domestically, but if that competition gets stronger then Celtic will rise to it.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You've spelled proddy wrong, m8.

On spelling, it appears Yanny's spelt wrong in the proddy post.

35 minutes ago, Estragon said:

The club should really make more of being Europe's 264th best football team - opportunity missed IMO.

Just to put this into context, the 264th highest grossing movie of all time* is Prometheus.

*http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/?pagenum=3&p=.htm - not adjusted for inflation.

f**k! that's a pretty cutting comparison, take it back.

Low blow man, low blow. :(

40 minutes ago, Estragon said:

The club should really make more of being Europe's 264th best football team - opportunity missed IMO.

Just to put this into context, the 264th highest grossing movie of all time* is Prometheus.

*http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/?pagenum=3&p=.htm - not adjusted for inflation.

There is absolutely no need for this, a hammer blow to the heart. :( 

Come on Mods - do your job.

51 minutes ago, Estragon said:

^^^ not in the top 500 type post. 

We should measure football crowds by gross takings unadjusted for inflation instead of actual humans in attendance.

coming soon: SPL* 18/19, the much anticipated sequel to the highest grossing SPL* ....EVER!

*this is what it's called. get over it.

Archived