Windows Update

Anyone had issues with the new update ?

I went into the Rollback loop, then it started updating again and now left with no files at all (just a recycle bin icon on screen when I log in)

????????????

On 20/05/2018 at 12:33, G-MAN said:

Anyone had issues with the new update ?

I went into the Rollback loop, then it started updating again and now left with no files at all (just a recycle bin icon on screen when I log in)

Is it the aniversary edition? I had loads of problems with that, it wouldnt recognise the NVIDIA graphics card. I spent a while rolling it back, looking for a way to stop it. Simply put, there isnt one and the only way I could resolve it was to reinstall windows from scratch <_<

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Is it the aniversary edition? I had loads of problems with that, it wouldnt recognise the NVIDIA graphics card. I spent a while rolling it back, looking for a way to stop it. Simply put, there isnt one and the only way I could resolve it was to reinstall windows from scratch <_<

Sure you've tried it but if you google Block Windows 10 Update there appears to be ways of stopping it, no idea if they work. Just got my first update notification for which I clicked "ask again later". I've got an HP laptop so I found this which says it has been tested with the update so hopefully it will be fine. Going to risk it I think to keep the security patches up to date at least. Await a full blown rant in a couple of hours.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sure you've tried it but if you google Block Windows 10 Update there appears to be ways of stopping it, no idea if they work. Just got my first update notification for which I clicked "ask again later". I've got an HP laptop so I found this which says it has been tested with the update so hopefully it will be fine. Going to risk it I think to keep the security patches up to date at least. Await a full blown rant in a couple of hours.

None of them work, and believe me I tried them all. Even postponing it only works for so long, as eventually you'll switch on your PC to find that its done the update without you knowing.

26 minutes ago, Mr X said:

None of them work, and believe me I tried them all. Even postponing it only works for so long, as eventually you'll switch on your PC to find that its done the update without you knowing.

Bit the bullet and did it, didn't take long. Had to update some Intel stuff, not sure if they completed successfully but everything seems back to normal.

25 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

My laptop is fucked. Can't get into Windows so I'm stuck in an infinite repair loop in Safe Mode. There's no restore points getting found so I can't try that and for some reason the 'Reset PC' option isn't there.

I'd get on to your manufacturer.

Same here. Have you managed to get it fixed?

No still fucked.

Looks like taking it into a repair shop and getting them to reinstall windows is the only option.

You can try restoring the desktop folder.
Open File Manager and go to Desktop
Click Properties then go to the Previous Versions tab and see if you have a restore point saved.

For some reason I can’t even get that far to even log in. I just get to the blue screen with options for System Restore, trouble shooting etc.

7 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

No still fucked.

Looks like taking it into a repair shop and getting them to reinstall windows is the only option.

Fixed (!) now. I had to fool the Laptop into thinking it couldn't start up, go through the troubleshoot options and reset my PC. Kept my files but any apps that weren't with the original computer gone. I'll find a link with instructions for the jiggery pokery for you.

ETA: @G-MAN http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3690328/dell-inspiron-windows-issue-update.html

1 minute ago, G-MAN said:

For some reason I can’t even get that far to even log in. I just get to the blue screen with options for System Restore, trouble shooting etc.

I've seen a few things about this since I posted that. Looks like it is a common problem if you used 3rd Party Anti-Virus.

The easiest thing to do is re-install Windows via a USB stick. Don't wipe your Hard Drive and everything should be there.

Fixed (!) now. I had to fool the Laptop into thinking it couldn't start up, go through the troubleshoot options and reset my PC. Kept my files but any apps that weren't with the original computer gone. I'll find a link with instructions for the jiggery pokery for you.
ETA: [mention=50013]G-MAN[/mention] http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3690328/dell-inspiron-windows-issue-update.html

Cheers Mate.

That’s me started to reset (chose the option to keep files). All I have on it saved is loads of music and Football Manager that I can retrieve so no big issue if they are gone. I was using it more as an extra TV as consoles take priority in this house as far as kids are concerned !

Taking a while to start resetting though, take it I keep the internet off for this ?

1 minute ago, G-MAN said:

Cheers Mate.

That’s me started to reset (chose the option to keep files). All I have on it saved is loads of music and Football Manager that I can retrieve so no big issue if they are gone. I was using it more as an extra TV as consoles take priority in this house as far as kids are concerned !

Taking a while to start resetting though, take it I keep the internet off for this ?

I think so. And it did take a while. I did it at work so I was disconnected the whole time anyway.

I've got hundreds of tunes which was my main worry, but they are all still intact.

You are a genius !!!! Thanks again.

Now fixed. After trawling through the net for a week and asking folk at work. P&B delivers !

Archived