SPL/SPFL/Premiership

Why do folk still refer to the top league in Scotland as the 'SPL'? It hasn't been the SPL for 5 years now. Also some refer to the top league as the SPFL. That's the name of the league body, also formed 5 years ago.

The top league in Scotland is called the Premiership. 

None of this is difficult. Why do folk struggle with it?

Why do folk still refer to the top league in Scotland as the 'SPL'? It hasn't been the SPL for 5 years now. Also some refer to the top league as the SPFL. That's the name of the league body, also formed 5 years ago.
The top league in Scotland is called the Premiership. 
Folk still call Snickers Marathons.

CHANGE IS NOT GOOD

See also; Opal Fruits 
Precisely.

The list is endless and we all do it. You probably just cant think of the thing you do it with, but there will be one. For me its pubs.

Although I havent been for a while, my most frequented nightclub in Falkirk is the Maniqui. This despite it having been called Storm since before I was old enough to go.

I used to regularly drink in The Canteen. I never once had a pint in it when it was called the Canteen.

Get the name "Premiership" straight into the sea and the next opportunity.
It's an embarrassment.

We're our own nation and we have our own league. We don't need to cosy up to England in the hope that we can feed off their scraps.

It has been a disastrous bit of rebranding. When the top league became the SPL, it was fresh and unique. There wasn't a requirement to change the names of the divisions in 2012 but when they decided to do so, they made terrible choices. We went from a situation where Scotland had set the trend with Premier Division and then SPL to simply trying to copy England. SPL had been so successful that many down south referred to their top tier as the EPL.

I would go back to SPL but unfortunately I worry the whole thing would become a tiresome new club/old club argument considering the timing of the change. There were other issues during the SPL era (overspending for example) but as a name, it was ideal. Even a change away from Premiership now wouldn't make much difference as SPL is ingrained on the minds.

Not sure what the answer is but the current situation is amateur. The blame doesn't lie with folk that can't, for whatever reason, get their head around the names but with those that came up with them. As said, a disastrous piece of rebranding that would likely cost someone their job in a business environment.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It's not difficult but it is awkward. Which do you prefer? Saying, "SPL" or "SPFLP"? I do sometimes call it the Premiership but that just sounds English. I also continue to call the Championship the 1st division, and the lower leagues I call incrementally (ie: what I call the 3rd is really the 2nd).

Anyway, that's my answer, it's not that people struggle but find the naming conventions awkward and default back to the easiest.

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

It's an embarrassment.

We're our own nation and we have our own league. We don't need to cosy up to England in the hope that we can feed off their scraps.

The top flight in England hasn’t been known as “The Premiership” since the 2006-07 season. 

And in fact, the league has always been officially “The Premier League”, with “Premiership” only used for sponsorship reasons in those first 15 years. 

9 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

No idea why people get worked up about this when there’s a league called the ‘Championship,’ with Falkirk and Partick Thistle* in it. Now that’s a riddy. 

*amend to Dunfermline at 5.15 if things go wrong.

Falkirk,Partick,Dunfermline? Just need Dundee for bingo. 

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

It's an embarrassment.

Find this odd, considering the English top flught is widely called the EPL, or English Premier League. 

So surely moving away from the SPL meant we're further away from them... 

The football leagues rebranding was hailed as a huge success at the time, sensible people looked at it and said that very little has actually changed here. 

The clubs had a chance to actually change things but they didn't really want change.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Find this odd, considering the English top flught is widely called the EPL, or English Premier League. 

So surely moving away from the SPL meant we're further away from them... 

I have lived in England for 8 years (until last summer). In that period, I have never heard any English person referring to the Premier League as the EPL, only the odd person from Scotland or elsewhere, and then mainly to make clear which country they are talking about.

Archived