Is Junior Football to Cheap?

parkcircus

5 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

One aspect I would like to see is doing away with spliting the gate for cup games which would allow clubs to really push there season tickets which would allow entry at any home game which in turn would hopefully give clubs a financial boost at the start of the season after a few months of no money or very little coming in for many clubs

I don't think you'll get much support for that idea.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, passbackdave said:

Has any junior clubs ever done the "pay what you can" at there home games? Remember albion rovers doing it 3 year ago n doubling there gate there chairman said it was a sucess.

Mon the papers

Their Chairman was an arse and it cost them thousands.

59 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

The question for me kennie is
Do we just want to be an extension of the senior game or do we want to be radically different and adopt a whole new approach to the junior game ?

Senior teams can approach things differently, see the prices in the Lowland League:

Also from what I can find the East of Scotland League had prices ranging from Kelty at £6, to Burntisland and Coldstream at £3. I assume Junior clubs can set their own prices?

6 minutes ago, passbackdave said:

Care 2 explain?

Mon the papers

He got moved on later and the new board found the real costs and had to pick up the pieces. I think it was touch and go. Someone on the Rovers thread could give you more detail. I remember he was also a Director of the local call centre/sweat shop, he got hunted from there as well and they lost sponsorship from them.

He got moved on later and the new board found the real costs and had to pick up the pieces. I think it was touch and go. Someone on the Rovers thread could give you more detail. I remember he was also a Director of the local call centre/sweat shop, he got hunted from there as well and they lost sponsorship from them.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Mon the papers

3 hours ago, parkcircus said:

Kilwinning Rangers do t charge kids with an Adult and Dalry give under 14s free burger and chips.

Have you seen the size of the teenagers in Dalry! The last thing they need is free burgers and chips!! Only joking my little China people!

2 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

One aspect I would like to see is doing away with spliting the gate for cup games which would allow clubs to really push there season tickets which would allow entry at any home game which in turn would hopefully give clubs a financial boost at the start of the season after a few months of no money or very little coming in for many clubs

You really have to retain split gates for cup ties which are 'one off' games (except where there are replays of course). It would be very unfair to a club which has a run of away draws in a cup, especially when very often the bulk of the crowd is with the team away from home. In the case of league games where the home team keeps all of the gate, nothing to stop them charging less than the recommended  prices?  But hardly likely!

2 hours ago, passbackdave said:

Has any junior clubs ever done the "pay what you can" at there home games? Remember albion rovers doing it 3 year ago n doubling there gate there chairman said it was a sucess.

Mon the papers

Less successful over time - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33562810

"Albion Rovers manager Darren Young says the club's pay-what-you-can season ticket offer last season was "catastrophically bad" for the club's finances, with fans paying just £27 on average for blanket access to all home games. (Herald)"

Think £5/6 is probably the limit for Junior football outside of a semi final or final. Notice on the Pollok website mention of £125 per adult season ticket for 2018/2019. That get's you entry to all games. You could forget trying that with the majority of Junior clubs. I've seen games were £125 was for the entire gate!!!

6 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Think £5/6 is probably the limit for Junior football outside of a semi final or final. Notice on the Pollok website mention of £125 per adult season ticket for 2018/2019. That get's you entry to all games. You could forget trying that with the majority of Junior clubs. I've seen games were £125 was for the entire gate!!!

That figure also includes a donation to club funds - most STs are a discount for buying up front, but at Lok that's not the case.

I think that the current pricing is very cheap . Especially if you get yourself a season ticket which most working folk can afford at well under £100 in most cases. Fans at the Juniors are far more likely to put my hand in my pocket for extras as a consequence of the good will felt when not feeling fleeced I would imagine. 

I did a quick scan of what I've spent on senior football this season and it must be 5 or 6 times my Junior outlay. I really enjoy both but it's often hard to justify what I spend on senior football. Tbh anything over £20 for a run of the mill match is excessive. Having said that I'd pay more for junior games without grumbling too much as it's where I've seen some of the best games this season. 

Blackburn United are opening the gates today for free entry, last home game in the Juniors. Free programme as well. A thank you for people supporting us this season.

Not sure what the charge will be next season. No set rate in the EoS.

Archived