Deadly animal experiences

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The brown snake can't help getting into trouble around humans, contact happens, there has been many a time where folks have had to call help to remove a brown snake from the back of a fridge or under items being stored in a garage.
All spiders have a poisonous bite, they need it to catch prey. To humans its all in whether they can break the skin or the type of poison and dose, even in the UK we have a small number of spiders who can break the skin but most aren't strong enough. Huntsman spiders will only bite if provoked extremely, it takes a lot to get them to bite, they are not dangerous in that way. The thing with huntsmans is their size and they are bloody fast. Imagine finding one in your bedroom, you look away for a moment for a container of size, look back and its gone, teleported to another part of the house, would you sleep in a room with that big bloody thing running free? They do have a habit of getting into cars and making themselves known to the driver at the worst possible moments. Because of their speed and a magic ability to escape containers they don't make good pets either. However they are good pest control around a house just as long as they stay out of bedrooms.
A red back bite can be serious especially for a child. Not mentioned yet but a Sydney Funnel Web Spider has a serious bite and can easily go through a gardening glove, not the best garden friend to have if you want to have a rockery.
The good thing is nowadays most if not all hospitals have anti-venom which means fatalities are rare.
Domestic dogs and bees are a more serious concern when it comes to animal attacks in Oz and then there are always Darwin award contenders who decide to swim in the wrong rivers regardless of the warnings about crocs.

Aye cheers Attenborough

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/05/2018 at 09:14, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Years ago when I was an inexperienced pest controller I was in a cherry picker treating what I was told by an unscrupulous salesman was a wasp nest 50 foot up the wall of a school. 

Turned out to be ferocious honey bees and about a minute after I pumped the poison in I was coated in a carpet of bees with nowhere to run. Half the school had turned out to see and they were all running for cover as I was slowly lowered down. I had all the gear on luckily as I sometimes don't wear it. Only the fact loads of people turned out to see it that I got suited up. 

Did ye aye?

On 5/18/2018 at 12:46, Shandon Par said:

I killed a pheasant in the car the other day. Unfortunately my daughter, wife and mother (3 separate people in case you were planning some Fife incest jokes) and they all had a go at me for it. c***s. 

I hate it when pheasants get in the car.  b*****ds never offer to pay petrol money either.

ETA: Beaten to it

On 5/18/2018 at 12:57, MEADOWXI said:

Most days you can't help it, daft buggers run out, stop, dart left, dart right then run up the road away from you,

Stupid suicical nutjobs

Last year I was driving to work, as I came round a bend saw loads of the fuckers stood in the middle of the road. Had a care behind me and one coming towards me on the other side of the road, couldn't do anything but go straight through. Not sure how many I killed but it was definitely on the mass murder scale. Why don't they move out of the way? 

Worst thing was, driving home that evening, saw a couple of the babies standing at the side of the road obviously looking for their parent. 

I'm reminded of that roadkill rating thread someone started a while ago. Recently I witnessed, in the middle of the road, a dead fox with its head utterly pristine and untouched, while the rest was just mangled gore and drenched blood. What a way to go.

2 hours ago, nsr said:

How did it get in the car?

1 hour ago, The DA said:

I hate it when pheasants get in the car.  b*****ds never offer to pay petrol money either.

ETA: Beaten to it

Half a greenie each. And I said pheasants, not peasants.

When I was wee, I was playing in the garden whilst my dad was cutting the grass. I noticed a wee frog and went over to have a look and I told my dad who proceeded to run it over with the lawnmower. 

I still feel sad when I think about it. 

Worked in America one summer when I was at Uni. Was based in a farm market in North Carolina and worked alongside other Brit students. Was packing peaches (not a euphemism) one day when I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye on the floor. Turned out to be a largish spider. One of the other workers started poking it with a stick and it was rearing up on its hind legs and looking scary as feck. The owner of the market happened to be passing so we asked him what kind of spider it was. 'Black widow' he replied and stamped on it. Needless to say nobody else poked any spiders after that.

1 hour ago, Karpaty said:

When I was wee, I was playing in the garden whilst my dad was cutting the grass. I noticed a wee frog and went over to have a look and I told my dad who proceeded to run it over with the lawnmower. 

I still feel sad when I think about it. 

So you told your dad there was a frog in the garden and his first instinct was to obliterate it as graphically as possible with a lawnmower, right in front of his young son?

How many prostitutes was it he eventually got convicted of murdering?

Archived