Have you ever found yourself in a pickle?

Tips like these are what keeps me coming back to P&B.

Pig ears with a side of Greek mushrooms sounds like a winner. Will report back with the wean's verdict.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You fucking pervert. The ones I had were hairy and you could see the lobes. Pure gristle and the most disgusting thing I've tried to eat after whelks, rubber with puss bursting out in the middle.

Pigs tail is also quite tasty if a bit full of wee bones.

Utopenec - 'the drowned man' - is a pickled pork sausage wildly sold in pubs/supermarkets in Czechia/Slovakia:

Related image

Image result for utopenec

They also pickle a camembert-style cheese, sometimes with paprika and chilli peppers to give it a bit of heat:

Image result for nakladany hermelin v octe

Both look absolutely vile but make for superb eating with bread and gherkins and washed down with a couple of beers.  

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Utopenec - 'the drowned man' - is a pickled pork sausage wildly sold in pubs/supermarkets in Czechia/Slovakia:

Related image

Image result for utopenec

They also pickle a camembert-style cheese, sometimes with paprika and chilli peppers to give it a bit of heat:

Both look absolutely vile but make for superb eating with bread and gherkins and washed down with a couple of beers.  

Both look tremendous imo.

Used to like a pickled egg , used to like a pint of guiness until I had a horrendous session of guiness with a good few pickled eggs . Was ill for two days afterwards, never have I mixed the two since. Not recommended.

Pickled gherkins , pickled onions , jalapenos , mussels and cockles. Just realised I'm quite the pickle person. Apart from the eggs they things are fuckin* rank.

Agree with this, pretty much most pickled stuff is nice, but pickled eggs are rank!

Pickled Jalapenos are nice but Banana Wax Peppers are the best. Serrano peppers are good as well. I also like picked Habanero peppers but these have to be used cautiously, usually sliced up a little with a piece of Cheddar, or in scrambled eggs.

I like pickled jalapeños but prefer them non-pickled. The pickling seems to take the heat out of them.

Joe Bay [emoji1]

3 hours ago, ah-dee said:
7 hours ago, Fullerene said:
Pickled Jalapenos are nice but Banana Wax Peppers are the best.
Serrano peppers are good as well.
I also like picked Habanero peppers but these have to be used cautiously, usually sliced up a little with a piece of Cheddar, or in scrambled eggs.

thanks fpr the culinary education i will try. do common supermarkets stock these or will i have to go hunting?

Go hunting in Glasgow or Edinburgh.  The shop is called Lupe Pintos.  313 Great Western Road in Glasgow.  24 Leven Street in Edinburgh.  It would be nice if there was somewhere in Inverness. 

Go hunting in Glasgow or Edinburgh.  The shop is called Lupe Pintos.  313 Great Western Road in Glasgow.  24 Leven Street in Edinburgh.  It would be nice if there was somewhere in Inverness. 
^^^ good man! not sure if my pickle intrigue will take me as far as glasgow but if im on tga area will certainly visit.

Big fan of pickled condiments. 

Gerkins, beetroot, red cabbage, jalapeños, onions, cucumber, capers....Do branson pickle and piccalilli qualify? Never tried pickled egg, mussels or herring despite liking each in other formats.

My old man used to cut the rolls twice and put gerkins and beetroot in one with ham, cheese, salad etc in the other.....sensational! 

Kimchi is not bad but generally the Far East way of pickling isn't to my liking. 

Big fan of pickled condiments. 

Gerkins, beetroot, red cabbage, jalapeños, onions, cucumber, capers....Do branson pickle and piccalilli qualify? Never tried pickled egg, mussels or herring despite liking each in other formats.

My old man used to cut the rolls twice and put gerkins and beetroot in one with ham, cheese, salad etc in the other.....sensational! 

Kimchi is not bad but generally the Far East way of pickling isn't to my liking. 

never having had a pickled egg is outrageous! a supper from the chippy isnt complete without one. branson pickle is the tits, especially with roast beef, but unfortunately i think it falls into the dressing category.

^^^ That reminds me...can you pickle mushrooms?

Never seen them pickled but button mushrooms marinated overnight in red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic and dill are sublime.

ETA. I may have had pickled mushrooms one time in Japan. I know I had saki that night but other details are hazy.

22 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

never having had a pickled egg is outrageous! a supper from the chippy isnt complete without one. branson pickle is the tits, especially with roast beef, but unfortunately i think it falls into the dressing category.

I've always gone for the pickled onion option at the chippy to be honest. I'm heading back across for a visit in August so will try one then.

Think you're right about Branson pickle and piccalilli BTW. Both are Doss :)

4 hours ago, sjc said:

I've always gone for the pickled onion option at the chippy to be honest. I'm heading back across for a visit in August so will try one then.

Think you're right about Branson pickle and piccalilli BTW. Both are Doss :)

A few years back we had a couple of Japanese visitors at the work for a few months. Before they left they put on a bit of a Japanese night for me and a couple of colleagues. The fodder was tremendous and included pickled squid innards which were, thinking back on it, quite nice. 

Is this a Japanese thing or were they taking the piss?

40 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

A few years back we had a couple of Japanese visitors at the work for a few months. Before they left they put on a bit of a Japanese night for me and a couple of colleagues. The fodder was tremendous and included pickled squid innards which were, thinking back on it, quite nice. 

Is this a Japanese thing or were they taking the piss?

Definitely a Japanese thing. Not just with their pickling, you can buy offal and even fish heads to eat here. I'm not a big fan of their pickling as it lacks the punch of ours in my opinion. Kimchi isn't bad though as it's spicy and goes well with rice.

ETA: One of the delicacies of the puffer fish is actually its sperm!

Definitely a Japanese thing. Not just with their pickling, you can buy offal and even fish heads to eat here. I'm not a big fan of their pickling as it lacks the punch of ours in my opinion. Kimchi isn't bad though as it's spicy and goes well with rice.
they are a strange bunch of folk those Japanese

3 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
11 minutes ago, sjc said:

they are a strange bunch of folk those Japanese

You want to try being married to one of them!

Archived