Qs about travelling to/through the US

MangoBroccoli

I'm planning to see some good friends in a couple of different states before the year is out. One is in Montana, one is in Idaho, and a few in Arizona. I'd like to go for about 3-4 weeks.

I've never been before so I'm unsure of how to go about planning. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Main points are:

-- Outbound flight(s)? (pretty sure I want to start up North and work my way down - my friend will probably take us on a road trip further south) Not sure the best way to get to Oregon/Montana -- Is flying from Scotland/ Dublin/ London etc more convenient? Should i transfer in Iceland and/or different states? Just general advice needed here

-- How easy is it to travel between states? (e.g. long distance buses) Thinking about comfort, price, journey time.

I know the US is huge so I'm not expecting a swift megabus/polskibus connection.

--Renting a car? I probably won't need this, but just wondering how easy/cheap it is

I originally thought about flying to Portland, Oregon (after about four different flights: GLA - Iceland - Chicago - Portland) and then renting a car and going through to Montana, then my final destination would be Phoenix or Austin to fly home from.

I have no idea if that plan (or something similar) is at all feasible with the transfers, the rental, the drive time. I'm used to Europe where travel is super cheap and convenient :/

Thanks in advance :)

First off all you will need to apply for a visa https://www.esta-official.co.uk/
And for travelling about there is https://www.greyhound.com/
Also there are cheap airlines south western/jet blue and spirit
So if i was you id get your route nailed down and then work out the cheapest/quickest or easiest way to get between cities
Hiring a car would probably be more cost efficient over all and there are deals for long time hires ie 1 month
The car option also gives you the freedom to stop off in places that flights etc wont give you as some of my best nights in the states have been in some random towns just off the highway
As for your transatlantic flight just get the cheapest to your chosen destination.Iceland air are good and now you have the norwegian air no frill cheap flights to boston/new york(think glasgow prestwick type of airports) so it migh worth checking them out and connecting onto an american low cost airline to get to the west coast for a cheaper price

In terms of the flights, if you dont want to do 4 flights best thing to do is either via dublin to san fran/lax or do via london to seattle etc. Ive not been on the amtrak but i seem to remember hearing its a really reasonable way to travel and you can get tickets to go cross country for a few hundred. Id thoroughly recommend spending time in Austin, great city, amazing food. Id recommend catching a Texas State american football game if you’re there during the season.
Car hire very widely available, however there are one way costs outside of California and Florida, think its around £100. If you are finishing up in Austin, BA fly there daily so might be your most cost effective route option. If you’re heading Arizona way and havent been to vegas before it’s always worth the detour for a night or two just to experience it before returning to normality.

• 2 weeks later...

It used to be legal to drive at 100 plus mph using your knees on the wheel while swigging from a bottle of JD with one hand and firing a revolver in the air with the other, so long as you did so safely. My kind of state.

Archived