Squads Thread

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMG_0585.thumb.jpg.43d3e69c42162b76a83cb14cfb0798a2.jpg
England’s.
This looks incredibly weak compared to some of the other squads announced. Quite surprised not to see Shelvey there ahead of Loftus-Cheek - his reputation must have let him down as he has been immense for Newcastle since January.

That England team is hideous, They are defo getting papped out by Poland in the round of 16. Pleasing.

Atrocious squad. They will obviously make it to the knockout stages but I feel the Quarters is there very best chance.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

The lack of quality in that midfield, specifically the lack of a Paul Scholes type attacking/creative midfielder is pretty stark.

Yep, nae creativity whatsoever in there.. actually think Wilshere has been decent for Arsenal this season, he could have added something, shelvey although not amazing by any means, could have at least given them something different, can see a pass ect.. 

Dier and Henderson are alike in style, that leaves Lingard and loftus cheek to provide the spark? Sterling is more of a right sided forward too and not the creative sort.. 

Kane and Vardy are lethal but need the service, cannot see that midfield providing that.. especially in later rounds R16 ect..

It's poor all over but when you see it like that, as others have said, it's the lack of a midfield that really stands out. Their 2006 squad had Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves, Beckham and Carrick, not to mention a retired Scholes who was still up there with those players and had retired due to being punted onto left wing. That's 6 Champions League winners. In just over 10 years they've gone from that to Delph, Dier and Henderson.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's poor all over but when you see it like that, as others have said, it's the lack of a midfield that really stands out. Their 2006 squad had Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves, Beckham and Carrick, not to mention a retired Scholes who was still up there with those players and had retired due to being punted onto left wing. That's 6 Champions League winners. In just over 10 years they've gone from that to Delph, Dier and Henderson.

Delph will be one of their three left-backs. 

More than a quarter of their squad are full-backs :lol: 

Three Kasimpasa players are heading to the World Cup. Centre backs Kenneth Omeruo of Nigera and Ben Yousseff Syam of Tunisia have been keeping each other out of the starting eleven this season so it surprised me they made it. Then I saw that Syam has Mohsni for competition so it's all starting to make sense.

The other member is Trezeguet whose value I expect to rocket if he keeps up his form from this season. He can play either wing, normally switching between them during the course of a game, makes great runs, has a fair bit of pace and knows how to find the net. With an easy group and all eyes on Salah I can see him getting quite a bit of attention.

Watch this cracker from his two goal, three assist performance against Trabzonspor from the other week then gain status at work by tipping him as a player to watch. Why he chooses to hit it with the outside of his boot I'll never know, but fair play to the lad.

On 14/05/2018 at 23:37, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Keep up to date with the who did and did not make the plane here. Brazil to kick us off, No Dani Alves (RIP) and I had to google to see who Geromel was

DdLKyMHV0AAyIsS.jpg

As good a Brazil squad as theyve had for decades. 

Aye going forward Brazil look incredible. It would be interesting to see how Neymar, Coutinho and Firmino fit in together.

England, on the other hand, while not the worst squad (the one that failed to get to USA 1994 was truly awful), isn't great. I wonder, however, if the lack of expectation surrounding them might work in their favour. They can relax a bit and go as a plucky underdog?

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Aye going forward Brazil look incredible. It would be interesting to see how Neymar, Coutinho and Firmino fit in together.

England, on the other hand, while not the worst squad (the one that failed to get to USA 1994 was truly awful), isn't great. I wonder, however, if the lack of expectation surrounding them might work in their favour. They can relax a bit and go as a plucky underdog?

In fairness they probably will go down the building for the Euros route with this tournament.

I think being the underdog would work much better with this team if they had a decent manager, can't see Southgate building too much momentum

Senegal. This looks very good, on paper at least.

A big f**k-off centre back in Koulibaly (Napoli), quite a lot of dig in midfield (e.g. Kouyate), lots of pace in attack (e.g. Sadio Mane).

Although I'm not sure who or what "Stock City" is.

18 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

In fairness they probably will go down the building for the Euros route with this tournament.

I think being the underdog would work much better with this team if they had a decent manager, can't see Southgate building too much momentum

They said at the last Euros the squad was building towards this World Cup, yet only 11 of that squad are in this squad.

I never buy into that viewpoint about 'building for the next tournament'. Very few players' careers have a steady upward trajectory. They'll have huge peaks and dips in form, injuries, or just not progress at all how people thought. Therefore no tournament should ever be about building for another one as it's more than likely that a huge chunk of them wont be in contention 2-4 years later. Apart from anything else it's a complete cop-out to just say you are building for the next tournament.

Archived