1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Correct, through James's wife Anne of Denmark but as you say he remained 73rd in the line of succession.

No his granny was Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of James VI.

However it doesn't really matter what part of the lineage they came from, once the Stuarts had buggered off to London all of their descendants were imposters to Scotland.

23 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

We should also appreciate that the Royal Family is responsible for lots of tourists coming here.

After all, France does not have a king or queen and does Paris get lots of tourists - I ask you.

Uh oh.  Maybe somebody can explain this better than me.

The old argument that the Monarchy brings and abundance of tourists to offset the monarchial costs is absolute tosh.

Buckingham Palace official visitor figures were 513,000 last year.

The Tower of London saw 2,894.000 visitors. Giving a total to the two main royal  establishments of  3,407.000.

In comparison Paris with no monarchy had the following visitor attendances;

The Louvre had 9,334,000 visitors.

The Palace of Versaille had 7,527,000 visitors, Giving  Paris a total of  16,861,000 visitors in one year, thats around 12 million more visitors visiting a city that has no monarch.

As I posted earlier the Queens income last year was just under £100 million, and then you have Charlie's income from the Duchy of Cornwall which also runs into millions, so from that it would appear that their income outweighs the income from tourism.

Time for a change n'est pas?

9 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

However it doesn't really matter what part of the lineage they came from, once the Stuarts had buggered off to London all of their descendants were imposters to Scotland.

Wasn't Elizabeth's mother Anne of Denmark.?

Totally agree with you  on the Stuarts deserting Scotland.

Anyway I've ranted enough and I see some of those goody bags the wedding invitees got are now on sale on E Bay, for up to a £1000.

Edited by SandyCromarty

44 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

We should also appreciate that the Royal Family is responsible for lots of tourists coming here.

After all, France does not have a king or queen and does Paris get lots of tourists - I ask you.

8 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

The old argument that the Monarchy brings and abundance of tourists to offset the monarchial costs is absolute tosh.

The Tower of London saw 2,894.000 visitors. Giving a total to the two main royal  establishments of  3,407.000.

The Palace of Versaille had 7,527,000 visitors, Giving  Paris a total of  16,861,000 visitors in one year, thats around 12 million more visitors visiting a city that has no monarch.

As I posted earlier the Queens income last year was just under £100 million, and then you have Charlie's income from the Duchy of Cornwall which also runs into millions, so from that it would appear that their income outweighs the income from tourism.

A whoosh of Royal proportion!

19 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Much like lots of the Scotland International players.

I think you’ll find the queen generates 20m a year in tourism and we’d be sleeping on the streets like in Dublin without her.

On 21/05/2018 at 18:38, Fullerene said:

So what your saying is we need a Eurodisney and decent cheese?

On 22/05/2018 at 02:14, SandyCromarty said:

That's hardly a compelling argument

I think not. We would all be living on 10 pound giro, don't you know. Same as Ireland.

• 5 weeks later...