Muse

Devon Warrior

What do you think of Muse? They come from my home town, and Seaside Rendezvous a few years back was something else. But, I think I probably wouldn't have paid them much heed if they weren't Teignmouth beys.... 

Early stuff was phenomenal and their performances were excellent, but the longer they go the more they morph into a choreographed pop act on stage and their music is fast disappearing up Matt Bellamy's arse.

Early stuff was phenomenal and their performances were excellent, but the longer they go the more they morph into a choreographed pop act on stage and their music is fast disappearing up Matt Bellamy's arse.
cant argue with this. origins of symmetry was a fantastic album

Think there's plenty of good stuff on the later albums, and they were always pretty far up their own arses. They were just better at it. Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes and Revelations are absolutely brilliant and Absolution isn't far behind. The rest is pretty decent IMO. The Resistance is probably as close as they have to a properly shite album, but there's three or four songs on there that salvage it.

1 hour ago, ah-dee said:

cant argue with this.

We can and we will.

9 hours ago, Ross. said:

the longer they go the more they morph into a choreographed pop act on stage 

What does this actually mean? Pretty sure that their Drones tour of 2016 wouldn't have been easily confused with a fucking One Direction concert.  

33 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

The Resistance is probably as close as they have to a properly shite album, but there's three or four songs on there that salvage it.

The Third Law is the worst album by quite some distance and probably the only one that is genuinely shite. Drones was a return to form IMO but their idea of ditching the album format altogether is probably wise. 

The world needs a anniversary Absolution set like they did with OoS. 

10 hours ago, virginton said:

What does this actually mean? Pretty sure that their Drones tour of 2016 wouldn't have been easily confused with a fucking One Direction concert.  

Clearly not going to be confused with One Direction but it's not unlike you to use extremes to make a point . I think it is fairly obvious what I meant. Everything about the last live performance I seen was too clean, too smooth and too nice to pass for rock and roll. If you were to describe the kind of set up and performance you would expect in a hypothetical situation that saw someone giving Simon Cowell a year to put together a rock band and put them on stage, their gig in the Zürich leg of the Drones tour was exactly what you would expect to see.

It's not fairly obvious at all; not least when you're using ridiculous claims like 'their performances are too smooth!'  as either i) a criticism or ii) indicative of a genre of music. Vastly experienced musicians in doing their job properly on a world tour shock!

19 hours ago, virginton said:

It's not fairly obvious at all; not least when you're using ridiculous claims like 'their performances are too smooth!'  as either i) a criticism or ii) indicative of a genre of music. Vastly experienced musicians in doing their job properly on a world tour shock!

Yes, I'm an absolute philistine for wanting rock music to be a little rough around the edges rather than devoid of passion/enjoyment from the performer.

11 hours ago, Ross. said:

Yes, I'm an absolute philistine for wanting rock music to be a little rough around the edges rather than devoid of passion/enjoyment from the performer.

Define 'rough around the edges' please; none of these statements actually mean anything - which is not exactly useful when you're making sweeping judgements about music being either 'rock' or 'pop' on that basis. Having well-executed sets is not even remotely an issue for a professional artist of any genre; if anything, doing a half-arsed job of it signifies contempt for the fanbase that pays to watch performances, not authenticity. 

Hysteria is one of my favourite songs and riffs of all time, and I haven't liked a single other thing they have done.
mine aswell mate. the song screams of raw emotion and power. they have had many decent songs though

Showbiz was a brilliant album,I'd say their best work. Very heavily championed by the media, especially Kerrang as the future of rock when it was released. I suppose you could say they have been certainly in this country although given that rock music isn't at its strongest now that perhaps isn't the title it once was.

Great band live right enough,and as has been mentioned the last album was a return to form after some complete guff.

Absolution*

Origin of Symmetry

Showbiz

Black Holes

*STRATOSPHERIC GAP*

Everything else since.

*I'm aware people would probably have it 3rd below Showbiz here, but it is my favourite on personal level when I was growing up.

Archived