Partick Thistle vs Livingston - Playoff Final

6 minutes ago, Davy Jones said:

Teams in the championship play off spots, asuming they still have aspirations of finishing 2nd, play a full strength squad and battle to the last game (good). They then go into the playoffs knowing that if they wish to return to the top flight, they must win ovet 2/3 ties. Playing 4/6 games, with the six matches in 19 days, on top of playing a full strength team for weeks on end in the hope to reduce this to the 4 games with a 2nd spot finnish (this is fairly unfair as well). Spl team on the other hand play a maximum 2 bounce games, even though they have clearly not produced what is expected to stay in the league.

#2down 

Thistle weren't confirmed as in the play offs until the final day, when they managed to win to secure 11th. Where were the bounce games? 

Partick played 5 games in 16 days over the course of their final league games and play off games. Livingston played 4 games in 17 days. 

Livingston got six days rest between their second leg agaisnt Dundee United and the first leg against Thistle. Thistle got five days rest between their final league game and the first leg. 

This "advantage" is a complete fucking myth peddled by morons desperate to feel hard done by. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

I believe they only need to get rid of the 3rd VS 4th play off.

If they Have a  2nd VS 3rd play off and then a final at a neutral venue both teams in the final would have played 38 games prior to the match.

The most disadvantaged team in the play offs is 3rd by a mile.

They have to play 2 extra games than 11th if they make the final.

4th I believe is not good enough to constitute a place in the Premiership. 

A stat to reinforce my point is that 4th has never ever beaten the team that has finished 3rd in the quarter final since the play offs were introduced. 

This is valid. Its ridiculous that the fourth placed team in a ten team league can get promoted. Its literally mid-table. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thistle weren't confirmed as in the play offs until the final day, when they managed to win to secure 11th. Where were the bounce games? 

Partick played 5 games in 16 days over the course of their final league games and play off games. Livingston played 4 games in 17 days. 

Livingston got six days rest between their second leg agaisnt Dundee United and the first leg against Thistle. Thistle got five days rest between their final league game and the first leg. 

This "advantage" is a complete fucking myth peddled by morons desperate to feel hard done by. 

What was the reason for Partick to play 5 games in 16 days? Any games called off due to to unplayable surfaces by chance! As apose to it being enforced.

Bottom 2 teams still have played well below par over the whole season, yet get a get out of jail clause.

#2 down

2 minutes ago, Davy Jones said:

What was the reason for Partick to play 5 games in 16 days? Any games called off due to to unplayable surfaces by chance! As apose to it being enforced.

Bottom 2 teams still have played well below par over the whole season, yet get a get out of jail clause.

No, those were the scheduled dates.

The "bottom two" dont get a second chance, Ross County were relegated outright.

You seem to be complaining about a process you literally have no clue about.

#2 down

12th does not get a ‘get out of jail clause.
To have no automatic relegation is ludicrous. (See League 2)
The reason for a Play Off between 11th and the Scottish Championship is to evaluate if the Championship side is good enough to compete in the Premiership.

I don't think there is any particular favour of the Premiership team but I do think that there is an advantage when the team in 11th knows that they are in that spot before game 38. The two teams that are "secured" 11th on the last day of the season have both went down deservedly over the two legs, so does that game of being able to rest players/play in a dead rubber match help them? 

It's interesting to see that next season's five post split games all fall on Saturdays, so no midweek fixture where the Quarter Final and Semi Final first legs take place. Therefore the team in second place in the Championship will have played an extra game, in that time period, when the final comes around but if you are good enough/want it enough you should prevail over two legs regardless of fatigue IMO.

Was pishing myself at Conor Sammon until it dawned on me that he has still got a year left on his Hearts contract.

I like big Sammon as he is an honest player but it’s absolutely mental to think that he moved from Kilmarnock to the English Premier League and then proceeded to play semi-regularly down there for a couple of seasons before Wigan went down.

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, those were the scheduled dates.

The "bottom two" dont get a second chance, Ross County were relegated outright.

You seem to be complaining about a process you literally have no clue about.

Not forgetting - Livingston got an extra days rest as they pumped United on the Friday before Partick had to secure 11th.

I agree that in previous years it was edging towards favouritism for the premiership side in the playoffs but can’t say that this season. 

We had the opportunity to rest players in our final two games against Inverness and Dundee Utd as we had already secured 2nd spot. 

Partick thistle on the other hand had to go all out to get results in there final two games to avoid bottom spot altogether. 

Our playoff games against Dundee Utd were a Monday and Friday, Patrick’s final game was the Saturday so technically we had a days extra rest as well. 

The fact that we had secured second place with 2 games to spare and the Quarter final days we actually had a bit of an advantage over Partick Thistle the way it worked out.

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

I agree that in previous years it was edging towards favouritism for the premiership side in the playoffs but can’t say that this season. 

We had the opportunity to rest players in our final two games against Inverness and Dundee Utd as we had already secured 2nd spot. 

Partick thistle on the other hand had to go all out to get results in there final two games to avoid bottom spot altogether. 

Our playoff games against Dundee Utd were a Monday and Friday, Patrick’s final game was the Saturday so technically we had a days extra rest as well. 

The fact that we had secured second place with 2 games to spare and the Quarter final days we actually had a bit of an advantage over Partick Thistle the way it worked out.

Yep, injuries took more of a toll on us than the way the playing schedule was worked out, but that's just your Donald duck. In hindsight we should never have played Hardie in the last league game with it being against Utd, and them being a likely semi final opponent, not believing it was coincidental he was taken out in that game, but we gave them the chance to do it.

By the final game we were struggling putting a striker on the pitch with just Lee Miller left, but it worked out not too bad as we had goals spread right through our team and were still able to get goals from guys like Mullin, Pittman and Jacobs in midfield, and Lithgow from defence. I really think  you either need to be 2nd in the league to start from the semi's or have a huge squad of decent quality to be able to rotate them cause it takes too much out of them with knocks and niggle injuries.

Archived