Partick Thistle vs Livingston - Playoff Final

3 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Think you’ll find I was giving them credit where it’s due , and for Hopkin also but they are average can’t say there’s an amazing player of world class player in there , used to watch Hearts on regular basis and miller was usually below average so take from that what you will , still hope you guys do well on Sunday 

Depends how you're classing average really, most British players are average against world class ones but still pretty good players. We've a few def good enough for SPFL Premiership level, so in that context they aren't just average. Halkett  was in the shortlist for PoTY and him and Alexander were in the Championship team of the year. Lithgow, Gallagher, Pittman and Byrne could easily have been in it too, they've all been good enough. Rafa has already played at that level but got injured against Utd.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first leg pretty much went the way I suggested, the second leg will work out like this; Thistle will change their setup, possibly using 5 in the midfield to get behind Livi's full backs - this is the method chosen by United, and like United it will work for about 40 odd minutes with commentators and pundits giving it the "well Thistle have learnt from the previous leg and are looking to take this tie now". Livi will look unimpressive up until half time. The second half with the score either 0-0 or 1-0 to Thistle will then play out with Livi getting stronger to the point they score in round about the 60 minute mark, forcing Thistle to attack, allowing Livi to pick them off.

I was concerned that Thistle might have too much for Livi, but it seems that there really isn't much between them. You could argue Thistle never turned up in the first game (and in many ways they didn't) but that only highlights how little there is of a difference between the teams at present.

Spoiler
8 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

The first leg pretty much went the way I suggested, the second leg will work out like this; Thistle will change their setup, possibly using 5 in the midfield to get behind Livi's full backs - this is the method chosen by United, and like United it will work for about 40 odd minutes with commentators and pundits giving it the "well Thistle have learnt from the previous leg and are looking to take this tie now". Livi will look unimpressive up until half time. The second half with the score either 0-0 or 1-0 to Thistle will then play out with Livi getting stronger to the point they score in round about the 60 minute mark, forcing Thistle to attack, allowing Livi to pick them off.

I was concerned that Thistle might have too much for Livi, but it seems that there really isn't much between them. You could argue Thistle never turned up in the first game (and in many ways they didn't) but that only highlights how little there is of a difference between the teams at present.

There is a big difference between the teams - one is decent and one is shite.......why Livi are 3/1 tomorrow defies logic but £7 on this will cover my admission tomorrow

Still a bit demoralised after our dismal showing but slowly growing hopeful that we'll get a narrow win on Sunday to take the game to extra time.

I was impressed with Hopkin and his team. They were well drilled, physical, hungry and not short on quality - all the things that we weren't. Archie seemed to imply that the tactic of aimlessly punting the ball was adopted by the players rather than instructed by him. I was, and remain, rather dumbfounded by this - it was an admission that he had no control over his own players and the tactics that were employed.

I sound like a broken record but this season's performance can be traced right back to Archie's failure to sign a centre mid. 

A problem all season long has been the laborious switches of play - in previous seasons, we've had Paton, Forbes, Fraser and Welsh who have all been able to switch play quickly; even O'Donnell could do it. It allowed us to shift our opponents from left to right, opening up the spaces that players like Lawless, Erskine and Dools thrive in. This year, the ball has to stop at every station before getting to the other flank.  For well organised teams (like Livi appeared to be on Thursday), it makes it extremely difficult to break them down.

We also have no players who are going to break the lines in the way that Pittman did for Livi's second; our midfield runners are non existent which makes our approach to punt long even more bizarre as we're unlikely to pick up the second ball.

I thought our best spells of possession on Thursday almost entirely came through Lawless until he was subbed. You have to expect that we'll see more of the ball tomorrow and Lawless' probing and composure on the ball could be crucial; he has to start. As does Erskine if he's fit which I'm sure we're all praying he is. I would bench Sammon for a multitude of reasons but namely that he's been absolute guff for weeks and his presence seems to make everyone default to launching it long.

I don't think many folk are giving us a chance tomorrow and who could blame them after Thursday. We're going to have to find a hunger and desire to match Livi or else we're going to go down with a whimper.

With so many players about to be out of contract (with rumours linking some to other clubs) or returning to their parents, I fear the hunger and desire we need will be thin on the ground. 

Archie, in his post match interview, was unequivocal, the players did not carry out his instructions. For so long we have lacked a leader on the pitch. I'm not sure what the captain's role is if not to influence those around him. There is no chain of command. Livi's strength is that they are well drilled. We, I'm afraid, seem to be drifting, rudderless.

33 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I was impressed with Hopkin and his team. They were well drilled, physical, hungry and not short on quality - all the things that we weren't.

What amazes me is that Thistle (whether the team or the manager) and even some pundits seemed surprised that Livi played in exactly the same way they have done for the last 8 months or so. It's not like they weren't forewarned by just about anyone who had seen them.

Whether it's true or not, I heard in the commentary that Archibald claimed he'd watched them a few times; the strategy and line up used would suggest that was not the case.

12 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

With so many players about to be out of contract (with rumours linking some to other clubs) or returning to their parents, I fear the hunger and desire we need will be thin on the ground. 

Archie, in his post match interview, was unequivocal, the players did not carry out his instructions. For so long we have lacked a leader on the pitch. I'm not sure what the captain's role is if not to influence those around him. There is no chain of command. Livi's strength is that they are well drilled. We, I'm afraid, seem to be drifting, rudderless.

That has to affect how much a player puts into a game, when Murray was going to Hibs you could see he was holding a bit back in the final play off game last season. I don't think any of ours has had offers yet so we should be ok. Hoppy is the only one being linked with a move but a win here would only enhance his portfolio, so that wont affect him either.

It is genuinely an unexpected delight to get this far and be one game away from promotion to the top tier, and not doing so wouldn't be seen as a failure because we really only wanted Championship survival this season, but I would be absolutely gutted if we don't do it with us being so close, really think our players want it far more than Thistle's players too, the hunger we have is akin to a boxer who has come from the backstreets and Thistle's are more the old Champion that has enjoyed the good life a little too much losing his hunger. Not to say they don't still pack a punch that could knock us out though.

Anyway, that's enough of the boxing analogy, i'm as nervous as f**k about this game and there will be absolute scenes if we win promotion tomorrow.

Mostly punting balls forward because no 1 wanted the responsibility of losing the ball and shat it because Livi were all over them.  
Seemed to think punting it forward to Sammon was the answer. 
The only chance we have of winning is if we manage to keep the ball on the deck and try and play football. And hope Erskines back and had one of his Unplayable days.

If Woods could bother his arse, your midfield should run rings around Livingston’s. He should have the class to dominate games like that. Instead he disappeared completely. As he did countless times for County.

The one big game he didn’t hide in, he utterly bossed Celtic in the cup and looked a star.

He might turn up in the second leg. Wouldn’t bet on it though.

If anyone can explain Archibald’s tactics, that’d be grand. Just because Livingston play long balls most of the time, I’m not sure why Partick Thistle needed to do it as well.

7 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

What is the justification for them taking half? Seems mental.

I think it was all agreed when they restructured the leagues, and this covers the increase of the prize money in the Championship and extra parachute payments if 2 Premiership teams get demoted with the play offs being introduced too. Same with the TV money for these play offs all going to the SPFL

Wise move by Thistle changing to a cash gate for their fans too, sure as feck seemed like there were more fans at our game against Utd and Thistle than the attendance figures say.:whistle

Just now, Savage Henry said:

If Woods could bother his arse, your midfield should run rings around Livingston’s. He should have the class to dominate games like that. Instead he disappeared completely. As he did countless times for County.

The one big game he didn’t hide in, he utterly bossed Celtic in the cup and looked a star.

He might turn up in the second leg. Wouldn’t bet on it though.

If anyone can explain Archibald’s tactics, that’d be grand. Just because Livingston play long balls most of the time, I’m not sure why Partick Thistle needed to do it as well.

Only we don't, it just gets bandied about that much everyone now believes it. 

It's quite simple, our players pressured Thistle into panicking and hitting long balls, and as Michael Stewart pointed out on sportscene, even when they had time to look up and pick out a pass they didn't, because we had made them panicky and they were stuck in a punt to get rid of the ball mindset all game.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

What is the justification for them taking half? Seems mental.

Mate it’s probably greed! It meant when the likes of Hibs and Rangers were in the playoffs they got half the gate there as well - a very nice payday for them

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Only we don't, it just gets bandied about that much everyone now believes it. 

It's quite simple, our players pressured Thistle into panicking and hitting long balls, and as Michael Stewart pointed out on sportscene, even when they had time to look up and pick out a pass they didn't, because we had made them panicky and they were stuck in a punt to get rid of the ball mindset all game.

I’d say your players were more up for it, more playing as a proper team and more determined to have a fighting spirit than ours. I said in the January transfer window I’d have happily shipped several of ours out and instead bring in several of yours 

Just now, third lanark said:

I’d say your players were more up for it, more playing as a proper team and more determined to have a fighting spirit than ours. I said in the January transfer window I’d have happily shipped several of ours out and instead bring in several of yours 

I could go on all day about our players, all most fans want is for their players to give it their all, nothing worse knowing a player can do better but just doesn't bother his arse, or is really inconsistent, haven't seen any of ours look like they can't be bothered in a game this season..

Archived