Dundee United 2018/2019

53 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

How many more players do we need? IMO:

2 x goalkeepers

1 x experienced right back

3 x centre backs

2 x central midfielders

1 x winger

Hopefully Edge and Scobbie are gone soon, never to return.

I don't think we need another winger. McMullan and King have both shown enough at points to suggest, to me, that they can do a job. Aird, King, McMullan and Smith is enough on the wings, I think. I'd be looking at another couple of strikers though. Smith's better on the wing and God knows what we'll get from Keatings.

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I don't think we need another winger. McMullan and King have both shown enough at points to suggest, to me, that they can do a job. Aird, King, McMullan and Smith is enough on the wings, I think. I'd be looking at another couple of strikers though. Smith's better on the wing and God knows what we'll get from Keatings.

We need a target man.  We need a target man.  We need a target man.  We need a target man....

Just watched chairman Mike Martin's interview.

- He expects another 9 players to be signed for the first team. Going forward we will have a 22-man squad including 4 academy graduates.

-Aim is to win the league

- Contracts being more incentive based and players will be rewarded for success. No longer rewarding failure. Players need to live within 25 mile radius of Dundee.

- Implementing changes to attain elite level status within Project Brave

-Around 4550 season tickets sold last season. Anticipating a 10% reduction but sales up on last season and over 2600 sold so far

-Seems to be on board with Laszlo's "vision".

-Changes to the scouting and coaching structure and implementation of a "United way" (cringe) from youth to the first team

-Money being spent upgrading hospitality facilities to offer United fans a better "product" and to generate more income

-Positive talks ongoing with investors but cannot say too much due to confidentiality. "Nothing bad" has happened

Have probably missed a lot but 30+ minutes is a long time. I like Martin. If he had binned Laszlo I would be feeling relatively positive for next season.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

11 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I hate Billy King so think we need someone else. Makes the wrong decision 9 times out of 10.

I think McMullan would be a very good player in a positive, attacking team.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We need a target man.  We need a target man.  We need a target man.  We need a target man....

Do you think we need a target man?

4 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Just watched chairman Mike Martin's interview.

- He expects another 9 players to be signed for the first team. Going forward we will have a 22-man squad including 4 academy graduates.

- Contracts being more incentive based and players will be rewarded for success. No longer rewarding failure. Players need to live within 25 mile radius of Dundee.

- Implementing changes to attain elite level status within Project Brave

-Around 4550 season tickets sold last season. Anticipating a 10% reduction but sales up on last season and over 2600 sold so far

-Changes to the scouting and coaching structure and implementation of a "United way" (cringe) from youth to the first team

-Money being spent upgrading corporate facilities to offer United fans a better "product" and to generate more income

-Positive talks ongoing with investors but cannot say too much due to confidentiality. "Nothing bad" has happened

Have probably missed a lot but 30+ minutes is a long time. I like Martin. If he had got rid of Laszlo I would be feeling relatively positive for next season.

Laszlo doesn’t have a ‘vision’; Laszlo doesn’t have a clue.

I like the 25 mile radius idea; it was similar to Jim McLean’s position Though I thought it will be harder to attract certain players I think it’s a good idea.

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Do you think we need a target man?

I think you’re reading too much into my post.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I like the 25 mile radius idea; it was similar to Jim McLean’s position Though I thought it will be harder to attract certain players I think it’s a good idea.

If you take away the glaring Laszlo-shaped elephant in the room things would be looking a bit more positive.

It's a joke we were allowing the likes of Cammy Bell to travel up from bumpkim Borders country for training and matches. If you don't want to live in Dundee/Angus/Perthshire/progressive north Fife then f**k off. 

3 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

If you take away the glaring Laszlo-shaped elephant in the room things would be looking a bit more positive.

It's a joke we were allowing the likes of Cammy Bell to travel up from bumpkim Borders country for training and matches. If you don't want to live in Dundee/Angus/Perthshire/progressive north Fife then f**k off. 

I would like to be more positive about our signings but so far I’m not.  With the exception of resigning Robson, which I think was a mistake, I’m pretty neutral.  Not bad signings, but mediocre; certainly not what we need to guarantee (or as close as a guarantee that is possible) promotion.

Like I said, I support the 25 mile radius thing but asking a player who might only be at a club for 2 years to relocate his family is not something that all players will accept.

I'll repeat what I've said a number of times but I think that the major factor in us getting promoted is having a manager that can get an extra percentage of effort out of players and is someone who knows how to win football matches (see Livingston). We have made some decent signings and the chairman seems to be able to talk a good game but having Laszlo as manager is the thing that will more than likely hold us back. I hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

23240685-900x540.jpg

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think you’re reading too much into my post.

Make them live in Sandeman Street or whatever its called. At least that way you will only get players who actually want to play for the club.

2 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I hate Billy King so think we need someone else. Makes the wrong decision 9 times out of 10.l

Technically, I think King is excellent. Very two footed, can beat a man either side, can shoot and can cross with either foot. Against that he's a pussycat and is far too quick to give up on a contested ball. With a little bit of dig though, or in a decent team, I think he could make plenty of chances.

2 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Aye, nobody should be commuting more than 45 mins/an hour to training. Bell was excellent but it's no use spending 4/5 hours a day sitting in a car as a professional athlete. That's a shit life and shit preparation.

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

2 x goalkeepers

3 x centre backs

2 x central midfielders

1 x winger

Given Murdoch's 'flexibility' positionally I don't know if the club will necessarily target another fullback. The central defenders and goalkeeper are now critical for me and should be a priority. Beyond that I'd think another central midfielder, potentially wide player and target man. Sounds like we are budgeting for at least another 7 or 8 signings though.

2 x goalkeepers
3 x centre backs
2 x central midfielders
1 x winger

I think just one keeper, wouldn’t say we need another right back or winger. A target man striker instead. Agree on the rest though

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Technically, I think King is excellent. Very two footed, can beat a man either side, can shoot and can cross with either foot. Against that he's a pussycat and is far too quick to give up on a contested ball. With a little bit of dig though, or in a decent team, I think he could make plenty of chances.

Don't always agree with you but pretty spot on here. Think King is very much a confidence player but even during a poorer spell at the end of the season he still chipped in with a couple of assists. 

Given Murdoch's 'flexibility' positionally I don't know if the club will necessarily target another fullback. The central defenders and goalkeeper are now critical for me and should be a priority. Beyond that I'd think another central midfielder, potentially wide player and target man. Sounds like we are budgeting for at least another 7 or 8 signings though.

Pretty much the same for me, I’d say we need at least 3 central defenders of sufficient quality. I think at least one of Edge and Scobbie will end up staying put.

13 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Mike Martin is trolling us, surely?

13 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

- Contracts being more incentive based and players will be rewarded for success. No longer rewarding failure.

Ahh wait, i see, dont sack Laszlo so no payoff - wont win league so dont have to pay bonus money - save on cash to splash out and win League 1 at a canter next season.

reece.jpg.b9076a3e26665ff26766c45eff0ac94a.jpg

Seriously though, we need one utter machine and one organiser at CH.

And a goalkeeper who isnt made of wet tissue paper would be handy. 

A big f**k off target man - an 8'6 Eastern European with a metal plate in his skull for headering concrete type lad would be brilliant. 

Then teach our wingers to kick the ball higher than the grass but below the roof of the Shed and we're nearly there.

An average left back would be too simple so lets cross our fingers and hope Robson is just better this season. Im assuming thats what Laszlo is thinking with that one.

Other than that...

Champs in waiting. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch

12 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Mike Martin is trolling us, surely?

Ahh wait, i see, dont sack Laszlo so no payoff - wont win league so dont have to pay bonus money - save on cash to splash out and win League 1 at a canter next season.

reece.jpg.b9076a3e26665ff26766c45eff0ac94a.jpg

Seriously though, we need one utter machine and one organiser at CH.

And a goalkeeper who isnt made of wet tissue paper would be handy. 

A big f**k off target man - an 8'6 Eastern European with a metal plate in his skull for headering concrete type lad would be brilliant. 

Then teach our wingers to kick the ball higher than the grass but below the roof of the Shed and we're nearly there.

An average left back would be too simple so lets cross our fingers and hope Robson is just better this season. Im assuming thats what Laszlo is thinking with that one.

Other than that...

Champs in waiting. 

I wouldn't joke about winning League 1.  I woke up this morning convinced that we'd just been relegated in the play-offs... by Brechin.  The feeling of shock and hurt will live with me until after breakfast.