Dundee United 2018/2019

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Where are the Tam O'Ware rumours coming from? A year ago he was being linked with the Old Firm and Wolves so I assumed he'd move on to bigger things.

Was In the paper the other day that us, St mirren and Hamilton were after him.

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

What are the rumours?

Out: Tam Scobbie to Falkirk, Billy King to St Johnstone

Unless your paying Scobbie to wear our Fergus the fox mascot suit next season, he won't be anywhere near Falkirk.

I think St Johnstone hit it on the nail last season with offering him less money and pay as you play bonus. The injuries have caught up with him and doesn't seem to have the hunger he once had

30 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

No news so far today, but it is the anniversary of finally getting over the "Final Hurdle".

I was in the hampden press box that day. Was great to see big Derek Johnston nearly greeting.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I was in the hampden press box that day. Was great to see big Derek Johnston nearly greeting.

Would have been a double treble for ****. Doubt we'll ever see that being achieved in Scotland now.

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Made some quality saves against us at EEP.

Not sure I'd trust a guy who's so thick he got injured celebrating, though.

The other guy was so shite he couldn't kick the ball into the middle of the pitch. Or perform a routine save. Or catch a cross. Or be a commanding goal keeper.

A thick goalkeeper will do if thats all thats wrong with him.

Let’s set the record straight.  We started the season with a 19 year old on loan goal keeper.  He did OK to start with but was not given the protection a 19 year old professional footballer playing at this level needs.

Deniz was eventually given a chance and performed better than most of us hoped/expected.  In truth he should have been given a chance about 10 games earlier than he was.

The fact that Lewis continued to start when he desperately needed dropped was down to the same guy who is tasked with getting us promoted next season.

Anyone wanting to take a pop at Lewis needs to rethink their rationale.

Laszlo should have dropped him at least 10 games earlier but Lewis was awful. Pretty poor all round and had a tendency to get himself into stupid situations instead of hoofing it. 

And most of his goal kicks went straight out the park.

7 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Laszlo should have dropped him at least 10 games earlier but Lewis was awful. Pretty poor all round and had a tendency to get himself into stupid situations instead of hoofing it. 

And most of his goal kicks went straight out the park.

I agree with Granny on this one.  Lewis is young and still developing.  The kicking issue is easily sorted - get someone else to take the goal-kicks while Lewis works on his kicking for a few months.  The decision-making will come with experience too - but I'd rather that experience didn't come in the senior team.

1 hour ago, The DA said:

I agree with Granny on this one.  Lewis is young and still developing.  The kicking issue is easily sorted - get someone else to take the goal-kicks while Lewis works on his kicking for a few months.  The decision-making will come with experience too - but I'd rather that experience didn't come in the senior team.

I'd agree with that. Lewis was a perfectly decent young keeper and may well develop into a very good keeper. But he's very young and when his confidence went his game dropped off markedly. Mental to have him as unchallenged first choice in a team hoping to win the league. A bog standard experienced keeper would have been a much better choice.

1 hour ago, The DA said:

I think that there is a balance to be struck between the 2 arguments.

Lewis simply wasn’t good enough imo, (in pretty much all departments) to be playing in our first team that was under the pressure we were under, and like anyone playing for us, is open to criticism from the stands when they don’t meet the standards expected of a United player. (See Coll Donaldson)

That being said, he’s hardly likely to chap the manager’s door and tell him that he isn’t good enough; it is up to the manager to spot this, and Laszlo clearly did, several weeks too late.

I have no problem anyone having a pop at both Csaba and Lewis here for overall substandard performance.

ETA - I was very impressed with Lewis’ interview in the Tully when he admitted that he was astonished at having been given their POTY award, given his horseshit second half of the season.

Edited by MacArab

37 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd agree with that. Lewis was a perfectly decent young keeper and may well develop into a very good keeper. But he's very young and when his confidence went his game dropped off markedly. Mental to have him as unchallenged first choice in a team hoping to win the league. A bog standard experienced keeper would have been a much better choice.

It’s no surprise that’s the two teams that won promotion out of the Championship this year had experienced keepers.

ETA   I am happy to see Deniz sign an extension but if we start the season with him as our first choice keeper it will reinforce my concerns for the year ahead.  

Edited by Granny Danger