Dundee United 2018/2019

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

To win championships you need players that score against every team though and not just the lesser ones. The big difference of course that clark will be on peanuts compared to mcdonald i would expect. After two seasons pishing a huge budgetary advantage down the drain it now would appear that united are shopping in the same shops as the rest of the league which can only be good for the rest of the league.

Looks like a fantastic league next year anyway.

24 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

To win championships you need players that score against every team though and not just the lesser ones. The big difference of course that clark will be on peanuts compared to mcdonald i would expect. After two seasons pishing a huge budgetary advantage down the drain it now would appear that united are shopping in the same shops as the rest of the league which can only be good for the rest of the league.

Scott Mcdonald was probably on what Gavin Reilly and Cammy Smith were on combined and they scored over 20 between them and coasted the league. It's about time we bring In hard working players who know this level anyway. Had for too many expensive duds.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I’d say Aird is much better than McMullan. Expected we’d lose him to a Premiership team so United are probably chucking him a decent wedge. 

Folk use it as a criticism against him but there are few better players than Clark when it comes to burying the lesser teams,

However, Shabba seems very adept at creating a team poorer than the sum of its parts, whereas Livi are on the brink of successive promotions with guys like Byrne and Robinson who were anonymous in League One.

Yep Aird was on the radar of premiership teams so much so he agreed verbally to sign on at the pars for a year.....

Clark scoring against part timers all his career, I'll give him that and funnily as I predicted no one higher up than this level interested in Clark and there is a reason for that.

Im surprised at the freeing of Moshni, I think there is a player in there when his head isnt on the glue and has that wee bit of swagger that you probably like when he is your player and think he is a bigger dick when he isnt your player. The example of that was the back heel against Livvy, he also won everything in the air against Livvy 1st leg tho his head was on glue 2nd leg, still I think you couldve used a chair and it improved the centre halves at United.

I still think its a very open league next season and 8 teams will be looking to at least pushing for play offs, probably same last season but 8 have a genuine chance and it wouldnt surprise me if the 2 I'm ruling out may surprise a few of us

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Yep Aird was on the radar of premiership teams so much so he agreed verbally to sign on at the pars for a year.....

Clark scoring against part timers all his career, I'll give him that and funnily as I predicted no one higher up than this level interested in Clark and there is a reason for that.

Im surprised at the freeing of Moshni, I think there is a player in there when his head isnt on the glue and has that wee bit of swagger that you probably like when he is your player and think he is a bigger dick when he isnt your player. The example of that was the back heel against Livvy, he also won everything in the air against Livvy 1st leg tho his head was on glue 2nd leg, still I think you couldve used a chair and it improved the centre halves at United.

I still think its a very open league next season and 8 teams will be looking to at least pushing for play offs, probably same last season but 8 have a genuine chance and it wouldnt surprise me if the 2 I'm ruling out may surprise a few of us

Mohsni wasn't freed. He was out of contract and will be looking for a better gig. If somehow he fails to get a better gig then he'll be welcomed back with open arms.

4 hours ago, FifeArab said:

Scott Mcdonald was probably on what Gavin Reilly and Cammy Smith were on combined and they scored over 20 between them and coasted the league. It's about time we bring In hard working players who know this level anyway. Had for too many expensive duds.

Again murdoch, durnan, stanton,mcmullan,scobbie ,king,keatings, toshney,mohsni,fyvie,mehmet and gillespie are a team and a sub who all know what this levels all about and yet you want to bring in more.

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Again murdoch, durnan, stanton,mcmullan,scobbie ,king,keatings, toshney,mohsni,fyvie,mehmet and gillespie are a team and a sub who all know what this levels all about and yet you want to bring in more.

Who should United be bringing in? Get to the point. English lower league pish like 8th placed Falkirk? Foreign imports?

22 minutes ago, thommohawk said:

I don't really understand your "joke". 

He's alluding to most people knowing Elvis Presley is dead and equating it to everyone already knowing Laszlo the waffling buffoon is staying, despite your golf exclusive.

Hope that makes sense.

Scottish football, especially below the top five (who I think can and will pull away from the rest of us quite comfortably) is, in my opinion, almost exclusively about having two or three very decent players that stand out and then being able to motivate, organise and manage a larger group of players who are all of a fairly similar ability level. Whether it is Killie in the Premiership, Livi in the Championship, Alloa in League One or Montrose in League Two the power of having a capable manager, decent recruitment and a decent blend of players is enough to elevate a team beyond what it should be able to achieve on paper. Someone like Fraser Aird, in the right environment, could quite feasibly play in most squads from bottom six in the top flight downwards but that depends on the management and those around him. Scottish football is not rocket science (breaking in to the top four or five is a different matter). It is isn't a bloated system with leagues of 20-odd teams and thousands of players. We play the same teams, with pretty much the same players season in and season out with very little travel or scouting needed. Once you have a good formula and you know how the other teams in the division play then you can navigate your way through the season effectively if you have the right people in charge. 

All of this means I still have very little faith in Csaba Laszlo and his 'vision' regardless of who we sign this summer. 

8 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Who should United be bringing in? Get to the point. English lower league pish like 8th placed Falkirk? Foreign imports?

Andres Iniesta and Gianluigi Buffon are looking for new clubs.

Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibernian appear to have finally begun to utilise their potential over the last few years and look to be striding ahead of the rest on and, crucially, off the park for the first time in decades. Whether they can keep it up is a different matter but Aberdeen look to be in their strongest position since the 80s and the Edinburgh clubs in their strongest positions since the 50s/60s.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Scottish football in the next few years. I can see there being a top 5 and the rest (similar to England) but that always should have happened but has never quite materialised.

The rest is a much of a muchness as Stumigoo says and a good manager can make a huge difference.

Laszlo is not the answer for Dundee United and it is horrifying to think our board of directors have any faith that he can take us forward.

I am beginning to think that a terrible start to next season will be the best outcome in the long term, in that it will hopefully see Laszlo sacked.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

21 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

He's alluding to most people knowing Elvis Presley is dead and equating it to everyone already knowing Laszlo the waffling buffoon is staying, despite your golf exclusive.

Hope that makes sense.

Fair enough, hadn't looked through this thread recently so I'll not tip my toes in the water again.