Promoting west region

sctv

Need to make the running of the game slicker, it needs to move from a blazers type management style to a professional, transparent management style.
Clubs should be encouraged to invest in youth teams.
Playing midweek under floodlights etc is a must.
No cancellations for September weekends or sjfa international nonsense.
If clubs cancel games for stag do’s, ‘burst pipes’ or similar they should be papped out.
Taking a professional approach will in turn lead to sponsors etc finding the organisation an attractive prospect.
Immediately employ a business manager to explore all commercial opportunities and allow clubs access to them for advice and assistance in creating business plans/sponsorship letters/funding applications.
Full fixtures list with designated midweek dates for every fixture nov-feb.
No Scottish cup Nov-Feb, regionalise the first round.
Scrap the sectional cup or make it simple knock out.
Play midweek in August.
Better social media engagement with cup draws etc.
Do more to court media, youtube channel with each club encourage to contribute content.

Again who pays for the running of youth teams or floodlights
Club are surviving week to week so your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think clubs can fork out the kind of money for your suggestions

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New younger fans required, home & away games there are very little younger generations spectating or for that matter on committees, most committees no offence to anyone meant but are older gentlemen. Junior football needs to start appealing to the youth otherwise in 10/20 years time having a great product could mean very little as no one will be there to watch it. Tying in with local schools/authorities engaging them & maybe so many free tickets.

Social media has to be integral, most clubs engage through these platforms so a greater presence would help for all.

It seems like you are the only committee member interested in bringing our junior game into this century! Hat off to you for taking the time to try drive an issue that is clearly been needed for some time now. Hopefully opinions & suggestions on here are fed back.

You generally find the youth teams are self financing, my own team have 3/4 youth teams at various ages under the club name and I'm certain they are not a burden to the clubs financial position. The SJFA  facebook page could be and do a lot more to integrate all the clubs that have a facebook site.

5 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Club are surviving week to week so your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think clubs can fork out the kind of money for your suggestions

Didn’t speak down to anyone just dont accept negative people who only look one way.
Thanks for your input although ideally the discussion about league set up and the pyramid are left for other discussions I’m more looking how we improve our social media side to entice fans to our product,

You dont need to pay for the entire youth set up, developing ties with youth teams to have a platform for local player recruitment would be fine. But given youth teams already exist and self fundraise/pay subs etc its not going to lead to much of a financial commitment. Also having youth/academy set ups opens up new funding avenues under the likes of cashback and similar schemes which can help to pay for much of this to be implemented.

As for the floodlights im not saying every club should have them but those who do should use them. Your attitude is typical of the ‘way its always been’ defeatism which has left junior football in the state it is today.

To answer the original question I think we all agree about fixtures but what we can do straight away to promote the game is push the brand more on social media , vastly improve the official website and have it updated on daily basis so fans get the correct information and quickly.
Alex suggested video highlights which is a fantastic idea but this must include all divisions not just the elite as my club despite being in central division one have a support which blows most of the super league sides away and are miles ahead of most when it comes to promoting the club and the grade on social media so it would be more beneficial to showcase the entire league rather than just the choosen few

To answer the original question I think we all agree about fixtures but what we can do straight away to promote the game is push the brand more on social media , vastly improve the official website and have it updated on daily basis so fans get the correct information and quickly.
Alex suggested video highlights which is a fantastic idea but this must include all divisions not just the elite as my club despite being in central division one have a support which blows most of the super league sides away and are miles ahead of most when it comes to promoting the club and the grade on social media so it would be more beneficial to showcase the entire league rather than just the choosen few
Aye it should encompass all teams and the more clubs that contribute the better. Some of the content from teams all across the divisions is excellent and some are non existant but that could be improved by sharing ideas and knowledge to help the teams who dont have the knowhow or expertise to do so

The highlights I was on about are already there from clubs, that’s what would use not something that would cost the association, not every club does it at present but we need to start somewhere to grow.
Previously I did an amateur talk show on you tube “ talkin baws” wasn’t great but I’m not great at that sort of thing, I’d imagine there are a few out there that know how to do it and may be interested.
Start small

You dont need to pay for the entire youth set up, developing ties with youth teams to have a platform for local player recruitment would be fine. But given youth teams already exist and self fundraise/pay subs etc its not going to lead to much of a financial commitment. Also having youth/academy set ups opens up new funding avenues under the likes of cashback and similar schemes which can help to pay for much of this to be implemented.

As for the floodlights im not saying every club should have them but those who do should use them. Your attitude is typical of the ‘way its always been’ defeatism which has left junior football in the state it is today.

My attitude is of reality not delusions of grandure. I never said don't use them I said how can you afford them if you don't have them in reply to your own comment that ALL MIDWEEK GAMES MUST BE PLAYED UNDER FLOODLIGHTS.
We have went down the road of youth teams so despite more delusions of grandure it was not viable in fact we even had a ladies team at one stage and for various reasons it never worked one being cost

My attitude is of reality not delusions of grandure. I never said don't use them I said how can you afford them if you don't have them in reply to your own comment that ALL MIDWEEK GAMES MUST BE PLAYED UNDER FLOODLIGHTS.
We have went down the road of youth teams so despite more delusions of grandure it was not viable in fact we even had a ladies team at one stage and for various reasons it never worked one being cost

Ok ok I’ll qualify that by saying what was implied, midweek games played during winter should be played under floodlights.
Just because your own club couldnt sustain a youth set up doesnt mean it shouldnt be encouraged or indeed a stated aim. Just because one club couldnt do something one time doesnt mean it has to be ruled out forever. Perhaps having a more hands on governing body with assistance to clubs would help resolve this.
You talk about delusions of grandeur, if decent facilities, trying a new approach which seems to work in other set ups in Scotland, sustainable youth development and encouraging clubs to grow within their communities and employing someone to do that is deluded then yeh ok.

Aye it should encompass all teams and the more clubs that contribute the better. Some of the content from teams all across the divisions is excellent and some are non existant but that could be improved by sharing ideas and knowledge to help the teams who dont have the knowhow or expertise to do so
Absolutely some clubs would need some help in this regard we are lucky that we have one of the best in business who does it for free cos he is fan but obviously not all clubs would have someone with the skills set required and someone who does it for free.
Quick mention also to thorniewood it was like sky sports down there on Wednesday absolutely fantastic work by the boy who does there games and really if this is to be a goer then I suggest Alex takes the time to speak to these guys and get feedback from them

5 hours ago, SectionG said:

New younger fans required, home & away games there are very little younger generations spectating or for that matter on committees, most committees no offence to anyone meant but are older gentlemen. Junior football needs to start appealing to the youth otherwise in 10/20 years time having a great product could mean very little as no one will be there to watch it. Tying in with local schools/authorities engaging them & maybe so many free tickets.

Social media has to be integral, most clubs engage through these platforms so a greater presence would help for all.

It seems like you are the only committee member interested in bringing our junior game into this century! Hat off to you for taking the time to try drive an issue that is clearly been needed for some time now. Hopefully opinions & suggestions on here are fed back.

I've said on here before  that the issue isn't so much that of getting kids to come to games - you can hand out as many free tickets as you like, but there'll be minimal takeup and no actual new fans made. Virtually every team has tried it with approaching zero success at some point.

The real black hole in most junior supports are the 20-40 age range, and they're the ones to target, as so many of them have just got out of the habit of actually going to games and instead largely get their fix from the EPL on TV. Social media definitely is invaluable in getting this age group engaged.

Likewise committee members. In an ideal world there would be a wider age range represented, but the reality of the situation is that your average young adult quite simply has other fish to fry in their spare time, and is unlikely to step up to the plate...the demographic is always going to be skewed towards middle-aged and older.

The highlights I was on about are already there from clubs, that’s what would use not something that would cost the association, not every club does it at present but we need to start somewhere to grow.

Previously I did an amateur talk show on you tube “ talkin baws” wasn’t great but I’m not great at that sort of thing, I’d imagine there are a few out there that know how to do it and may be interested.

Start small

Alex, you should be commended for trying, there is so much to be looked at in order to change things for the better, everyone says the same thing... advanced fixtures list, Scottish played September till last week in October then start back up in March, scrapping of local cups and/or knockout scenario, Personally I think a trial for 3 season's of a season going from mid March till last Saturday in November, potential increase in crowds, better weather (I know in this country it's variable), increased involvement from local communities, additional committee help etc... Social media also needs to be used to drive it forward...

Ps I thought your talking baws was a good effort! [emoji6][emoji3]

Talkin bawd was a semi serious mostly piss rip look at the amateur game, if you can’t have a laugh what’s the point
I thought it was good effort with a bit of banter and laughs thrown in, more importantly it got people talking about the game. [emoji1360]

12 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Absolutely some clubs would need some help in this regard we are lucky that we have one of the best in business who does it for free cos he is fan but obviously not all clubs would have someone with the skills set required and someone who does it for free.
Quick mention also to thorniewood it was like sky sports down there on Wednesday absolutely fantastic work by the boy who does there games and really if this is to be a goer then I suggest Alex takes the time to speak to these guys and get feedback from them

Fantastic they have a media guy who produces a great video but they can’t put a team out today for a cup match.  All this talk of media productions is putting the cart before the horse. The basic structure needs changed, bin all the local cups, get a fixture list sorted and get a sponsor. Once that’s all sorted we might get McCoist and Sutton to do a weekly show. 

Sort out the fixtures  then we have something to build on. How can clubs be expected to advertise and find single match sponsors if they don't know who they are playing and when.

Games on YouTube is an obvious way of promoting the game but there has to be  some certainty of when the game is to be played to maximise income

Archived