Shortlees vs Hurlford Thistle - Ayrshire cup semi final

The Mouth

22 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Surely the standard of refereeing at Amateur level (unless completely incompetent  and not a few wrong calls or players/coaches not fully understanding the LOTG) can't be complained about - the referee's, just like the players are also amateur?

Do the refs not get paid at amateur ? Everyone makes mistakes , but it’s always the same ones that causes the controversy and are completely incompetent . And keep getting big games . 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s amatuer level at the end of the day and refs do get a hard time but I must admit some decisions beggar belief. I believe that if u had played the game then u would know if someone for example went into a challenge with intent to hurt the other player or if a player was playing for a foul coz from a players point of view you would know coz you’ve been in that situation before.

2 hours ago, 4-3-3R said:

It’s amatuer level at the end of the day and refs do get a hard time but I must admit some decisions beggar belief. I believe that if u had played the game then u would know if someone for example went into a challenge with intent to hurt the other player or if a player was playing for a foul coz from a players point of view you would know coz you’ve been in that situation before.

I believe the match fee (not a salary) is for the amount of effort that's going in especially at amateur level - sometimes refs are driving for hours to get to the match and then have all the inspections, team lines etc to handle (I bet every game there is at least one issue with one of the teamlines) then there's half the abuse they get during the game and then all the paperwork afterwards. Not to mention the sub-par changing rooms 9/10 times - how much times have you seen a ref getting changed in the public toilet?

2 hours ago, 4-3-3R said:

You're right although the lack of knowledge from players and coaches even at pro level doesn't help the situation - look at the number of people this weekend who didn't know that if a foul starts outside the box but ends inside the box it's a penalty?

16 hours ago, petethejakey said:

Do you think referees fall into  The catergory previously mentioned of “everyone in ayrshiRe amateur football “ and are sick of HT dominance ? 

What a stupid question.

Referees, like players come in all qualities, some are brilliant while some are utter pish.

Its amateur football we're talking about here and therefor  the quality of referee, like the players, is what it is.

I have never in all my 19 years of refereeing Ayrshire Ammys (long retired by the way) come across any ref  delivering an openly biased performance (utter pish, yes).

Most are just happy to get away from the wife for a couple of hours........give them a break FFS.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

What a stupid question.

Referees, like players come in all qualities, some are brilliant while some are utter pish.

Its amateur football we're talking about here and therefor  the quality of referee, like the players, is what it is.

I have never in all my 19 years of refereeing Ayrshire Ammys (long retired by the way) come across any ref  delivering an openly biased performance (utter pish, yes).

Most are just happy to get away from the wife for a couple of hours........give them a break FFS.

I honestly can't agree. I wouldn't ever do the disservice by mentioning names on a public forum but in my opinion there is at least 3 referees, one has recently quit, in Ayrshire who in my opinion have shown extreme bias in matches and I won't ever have my mind changed on that 

Maybe times have changed since I shoved my whistle up my arse but while I was regularly accused of being biased, I was only just being pish.

I mentioned a story some time ago on P&B when I was refereeing a Shortlees game at Kilbirnie and was accused of being a homer (I think thats what he called  me) by a Shortlees player.

He had the good grace look embarrassed when I informed him that  I actually lived in Shortlees and grew up with some of his team mates,

Pish?.... aye, biased .....naw.

On 5/12/2018 at 22:19, petethejakey said:

Thistle by far the better team . If same shortlees turn out in next couple of weeks they could end up with noting . hearing shortlees  never beat them over 90 minutes ? What about standard of refereeing ? 

I thought the referee was ok?

On 5/13/2018 at 21:30, Crusher said:

The abuse shouldn’t happen, but it’s just the nature of the game.they won’t get everything right some are incompetent, others think it’s all about themselves and some are good, same applies for players at that level

For what it’s worth.I thought the ref had a decent game on Friday, tried to let the game flow when he could.the only criticism I would have was when he allowed play to go on when the hurlford gk was down injured.if shortlees had scored there would have been no fair play or integrity in that.

Agree with this, again I thought the referee was ok.

On 5/13/2018 at 22:04, das scooter boy said:

Saying Hurl£ord in the same sentence as "fair play" and "Integrity" ?? emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Think he said "Shortlees" in the same sentence as fairplay and integrity.  I'm not for a minute saying that Shortlees put themselves out as some kind of moral highground for football but two wrongs don't make a right.  You can't say "but it was Hurlford Thistle" when you decide not to put the ball out when the goalkeeper is down.

For the record I wouldn't have put the ball out either and I don't blame Shortlees for trying to score.  As a neutral I hoped you did score as it would've no doubt led to a big rammy :thumsup2

It could b but why have it on a Monday night when both teams have a free Saturday 
after Sunday shortlees have only Cumnock and James Scott final the week after the finak

Cumnock have another league game to play and are in a semi final on Friday, Hurlford Thistle are in the Ayrshire final and are in a semi final this Saturday, and Shortlees have a Scottish Final, 2 league games and the James Scott final to play...

The game will be played when it can be slotted into a hectic schedule.

Archived