Trophy day. Celtic v Aberdeen

12 minutes ago, The OP said:

They were joining in with the zombie nation hand actions too. Tbf at that point I think everyone thought there was a chance Sevco would lose 6-0 which would've united Scottish football in sheer joy. 

I just assumed they fancied watching the fireworks and confetti. 

I felt slightly uncomfortable with the 'Hibees' chant when it was 3-0 at ER.  To find out Hibs had then pissed it away in about 15 minutes made me throw up a bit in my mouth (metaphorically).

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I felt slightly uncomfortable with the 'Hibees' chant when it was 3-0 at ER.  To find out Hibs had then pissed it away in about 15 minutes made me throw up a bit in my mouth (metaphorically).

I remember the "Hibees" chants at Tynecastle in '95 after they scored a last minute winner at Tannadice (and we had won 2-1). We could have gone down that day.

Sounds nauseating yesterday though right enough.

On 5/11/2018 at 20:04, Illgresi said:

As you've said elsewhere, it correlates to money of course but there are modifiers which make that correlation more, or less accurate. For example, if you look at league position purely within Scotland relative to outgoings, most clubs have the relative points total/position you'd expect. There are major outliers (as there always are), those being Celtic (should be much further in front), Rangers (should be clear in 2nd), and probably Dundee Utd (although I admit I've forgotten all about them, and have no idea where their finances are these days). All-in-all, a fairly accurate correlation.

The correlation becomes less distinct when you cross international lines. For example, if you placed each Scottish team within the English setup, the Scottish teams would in general far outperform the English relative to current resources. The reasons for this are numerous but perhaps one of the most important is that Scotland attracts a large number of players who are attracted to a greater opportunity of winning things, playing in Europe, and of course, most simply originate here. There are other contributors, mainly financial which can (but very much not always) contribute, such as not paying tax (Sevco), buying out referees (Sevco), infiltrating the governing body (Sevco still to this day).

However, from a player's perspective moving to the English Championship is a very attractive proposition. Those clubs don't generally have a turnover that is excessively greater than Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs; around the same as Sevco (supposedly). They do however, spend anywhere up to 166% of turnover on wages, meaning they are paying far in excess of us on wages. There is also the possibility of gaining promotion to an undoubtedly better league.

Overall, there is undoubtedly a financial gap, but there is also a rule of diminishing returns, and it is far too simplistic to say 'that league has more money, so it must be better'.

Not sure I agree with all that although I could of misunderstood. When you say the Scottish team would far outperform the English relative, do you mean in comparison to where they'd finish in the league structure and in regards to living within their means? There are examples both sides of the border of clubs overspending I'd say.

It's an interesting point to think where SP clubs would place in England (with current squads not on financial and marketing capability obviously Celtic and Sevco would use the increased income to rip their squads apart). For me the current Celtic team would be high end Championship, possibly yoyo into the SP (looking at the difference in player quality, wage budget and where their best players are linked in the EPL) Sevco and Aberdeen might scrap into the Championship but would be very much in a relegation dog fight. Hibs, Hearts and maybe Kilmarnock in L1. Rest I'd imagine L2. 

In regards to attracting players, I don't know if the attraction is more in Scotland. If it is, it would be just Celtic and it would be correlated with bottom 5-7 EPL and Championship clubs. I'd also say that attraction is likely eroding away given they might win trophies but they don't win 'competitions.'  as there isn't any in Scotland.

As for players originating here, for me it's very worrying the quality coming through. Scotland used to be one of the top nations in the world. Now our next crop of youngsters (few noted exclusions to this) are playing for Barnsley, St Mirren and Kilmarnock at 20-22 years old.

In summary I don't think anyone can argue the lack of quality up here in Scotland, everything points to it. From our teams performances in Europe, our national team, players performance when they leave Scotland and lack of real interest from quality teams to take our top performers. Not to mention actually watching games. 

I'm not sure the arguments about whos better than who in Scotland and England holds much water tbh nor does the discussion about Scottish teams surviving in England. There is no comparison really it's simply money. Our clubs play in Scotland with little TV money and in the PL there is lots of TV money which allows clubs to generate more income on the back of it. Man City, for example, had a turnover of £473 million in 2016/17. Celtic had a turnover of £90 million, a difference of five times as much. That's what talks. If you are trying to match up clubs in Scotland to the equivalent in England then Aberdeen would be similar to Blackburn Rovers, for example, in terms of turnover excluding tv money. but it's not a comparison that's worthy of discussion except in the playgrounds of Scottish schools. The book to read if you need convincing is called Soccernomics which explains in simple terms just why clubs are successful in today's footballing world.

Spoiler

It's to do with money! :)

I do think that if Scottish clubs joined the PL or Championship in England they would do as well or as badly as the others but that's not an argument is it?

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:00, Dons_1988 said:

It was embarrassing. As was the love in with Celtic fans, which made me feel sick.

Aberdeen's appeal against the red card shown to Shay Logan at Celtic has been dismissed.

Logan was sent off after his side's 1-0 win at Celtic Park on Sunday when he became embroiled in a set-to with Celtic players.

Mikael Lustig confronted him after the Dons player celebrated in front of Celtic fans and Logan appeared to make contact with the Swede's face during an angry confrontation.

The defender then exchanged words with other Celtic players before being given his marching orders by referee Craig Thomson.

Aberdeen appealed the decision and the case was heard by an independent panel on Thursday but the Dons' plea has now been thrown out by the game's governing body.

IMG_1367.jpg

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

sfa decision confirms violent conduct was the offence. not celebrating in front of celtic fans.  Must have been for punching himself in the chest?

Or striking Lustig in the face.  One of the two I'd imagine.

25 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

Or striking Lustig in the face.  One of the two I'd imagine.

I think that the appeals panel simply toss a coin when having to make a decision. There was no “striking Lustig in the face” and it was certainly not as bad as the Noble/Pogba confrontation last midweek when they both got a yellow card. Scott “Brownie” Brown got his red card at the tail end of last season downgraded to a yellow after almost ending the career of Alex Schalk

Archived