Scottish Football - Worst Owners/Chairmen

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

He owns significant shares in your team and he's the chairman, he's an owner

He owns around a 14% shareholding, yer talking pish.

1 minute ago, bennett said:

Seeing as though I can't be arsed getting all hung up on terminology I'll change it to say Dave King is the worst current chairman

7 minutes ago, bennett said:

That probably says more about Sevco than anything else.  All smoke and mirrors.

Was thinking today about Kings claim to not have a UK bank account and no available money in Sterling.  Not my place to call King a liar but.........he's talking shite.

5 hours ago, ah-dee said:

calum Melville has to be mentioned. used dundee to stroke his ego. us fans fell for his bullshit promises.

Melville had to do a bolt from Aberdeen after ripping so many folk off. 

He is in the UAE now doing the same to the Arabs. Im ITK with this one and will soon have to flee there.

19 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

That probably says more about Sevco than anything else.  All smoke and mirrors.

Was thinking today about Kings claim to not have a UK bank account and no available money in Sterling.  Not my place to call King a liar but.........he's talking shite.

i expect that he doesn't like keeping cash here after it got impounded and sent back to SA before to pay for tax.

incidentally that was in early 2012, before valentine's day. I expect he'd had the funds earmarked for some sort of pre pack admin deal. My theory is that the asset freeze and court case scuppered the original plan and opened the door for the most comedy owner of all time. 

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F7d86457a-4c6b-11e7-8b46-aeb9dec90269.jpg

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Bill "Blobby" Hunter for ruining a good 1st division team and then moving them to a shitehole.

David Duff and Jim Gray for almost killing off the Hibees.

The pre-Bunnet Celtic board. I mean let's face it most people could make money running Celtic. They didn't seem to be able to.

Willie Harkness at QOS wasn't universally loved toward the end of his time as a penny pinching b*****d.

Cliftonhill is a monument to Tom Fagan's Albion Rovers chairmanship.

and Edinburgh City's fascist dictator James Lumsden for presiding over our meteoric rise to league status. What a b*****d.... :P 

The Kelly's made money whilst running Celtic.  Where the money was going, that was the problem.

Guest Moomintroll
Bill "Blobby" Hunter for ruining a good 1st division team and then moving them to a shitehole.
David Duff and Jim Gray for almost killing off the Hibees.
The pre-Bunnet Celtic board. I mean let's face it most people could make money running Celtic. They didn't seem to be able to.
Willie Harkness at QOS wasn't universally loved toward the end of his time as a penny pinching b*****d.
 Cliftonhill is a monument to Tom Fagan's Albion Rovers chairmanship.
and Edinburgh City's fascist dictator James Lumsden for presiding over our meteoric rise to league status. What a b*****d.... [emoji14] 
Pretty sure the pre bunnet board were making money, it was the club that didnt.
Also remember we had a lucky escape when the Fleetings & Moffats tookover as the rival bidder was a charmer called John Kerr iirc. Turned up to a supporters meeting with an RFC personalised number plate and proceeded to tell us if we gave him any grief he would bring the boys down from Glasgow to sort us out.
Looking elsewhere I am surprised Alan Mackin from East Stirling or those lovable old Steedmans havent had a memtion yet.

Guest Moomintroll
The Kelly's made money whilst running Celtic.  Where the money was going, that was the problem.
Beat me to it.

5 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
11 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

Beat me to it.

In the early 90's UEFA offered Celtic a grant to upgrade the stadium.  Part of the grant would be to remove the turnstiles at the time and replace them with electronic turnstiles.  The Kelly's refused.  Would appear that it's a lot harder to line your own pockets by lying about attendances  when you have an electronic trail.

7 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Claude Anelka - what a f**k up at Raith Rovers. Don’t know enough details to say much more but it was total Football Manager. Although he is I think responsible for bringing in a few players to Scotland who had good careers here.

:lol: Aye, so that was a fun time to start going to games. Essentially, we'd had some shady characters throughout the late 90s and early 00s and this was when it all came to a head. Before that, been sitting mid table first division after finishing 3rd in 98/99 season where we threw a couple of million a team with Jimmy Nicholl and Alex Smith (Terry Butcher came in as part of the backroom staff too).  We then lurched from financial crisis with some ridiculous stories coming through involving fraud, and betting scandals. 

We had some gangsters from Glasgow, and the likes of Colin McGowan who is still at Accies (and more recently as a voicepiece at Airdrie for their owner, where they threatened to put the club under again) who were intent on coming up with some ridiculous schemes. They got rid of the affable Antonio Calderon as manager and installed Claude Anelka as manager.  The fans were shitting themselves, but at the time he was warming himself to the more optimistic fans saying he could bring in the players to get us to the top flight and make us a 'third force in Scottish football'. 

Instead, we signed a collection of players who played at 8th tier football in France. It goes without saying that they were utter pish, and the fans were raging. Infamously, Gordon Dalziel met one of the players in his first week after taking the reigns, and the player (Herve Ebanda) confessed he'd never played a full 11s game in his life at a semi-professional level, but that as a joiner he could help with some of the handywork about the ground (hence @Ebanda's Handyman Services as a username).  We then spent the season getting bodied by various teams, before getting rid of the majority of players. 

It was probably the best thing for the club, as it allowed us to get rid of the gangsters at the club, and spend a few seasons cutting our cloth. We had the Reclaim the Rovers led by the likes of the late Ronnie Coyle and Ally Gourlay who set about organising fundraising events to buy them out. Eventually, the club came back into more respectable hands without the need for any administration event like other clubs have done more recently. 

Seasons like that, and the following season under Dalziel will always give me an appreciation for how things are. Even after getting bodied by Alloa in the playoffs, I said to my mate that it could be worse and that we've been spoiled over the last ten years compared to that period. 

It puts into perspective how lucky we are not to have a club where it's not a UK wide laughing stock (albeit, the 16/17 season did try to emulate that: Appointing Locke and Jackson, signing 37 year old Skacel, playing Ryan Stevenson in goals against Ayr for 90 minutes, loaning Lewis Vaughan to Dumbarton to relegate us, and losing in the playoffs to a Brechin team who couldn't win a game the following season, and had lost more than they won when they beat us...)  

Archived