The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

Some quite excellent research there Spidersmad which appears to fully justify the "stripes" description, or does it? My own research uncovered the following: 

Horizontal stripes were monopolised by rugby players, and vertical ones became the insignia of the Association player

So do we take Robinson as gospel? I honestly don't know! If I was to theorise then I would suggest that Robinson's description was correct for its time, but as rugby took a greater hold then football clubs used the term hoops to differentiate their tops from the horizontal stripes worn by players with odd shaped balls.

Whichever terminology one prefers, it's abundantly clear that "stripes" on its own is plainly insufficient, and that it's either "hoops" or "horizontal stripes". Historical considerations notwithstanding, I somehow can't envisage that we'll be hearing cries of " 'mon the glorious horizontal stripes" ringing out at Balmoor, Broadwood et all next season, can you?

Nonetheless my bowler hat is doffed in deference to your excellent knowledge of our history.

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Mr Braveheart will indeed be grateful. Your defence is justified. 

Indeed it is and (whether fortuitously or otherwise) I fully concede that Mr. Braveheart's description was technically accurate (if incomplete) and that we were both wrong to correct him. I therefore take this opportunity to offer my apologies to him, and am indebted to Spidersmad for his incisive intervention.

18 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Kind of like Mick1867 on a Saturday night then:whistle

I'm a fan of all the positions tbh but nae chance of getting any on a Saturday night

Edited by Mick1867

Indeed it is and (whether fortuitously or otherwise) I fully concede that Mr. Braveheart's description was technically accurate (if incomplete) and that we were both wrong to correct him. I therefore take this opportunity to offer my apologies to him, and am indebted to Spidersmad for his incisive intervention.

Good man. I expect by now this thread has gone viral and the twitter server is in meltdown.

Anyone got any news of players coming in. All I am hearing is players going out although still to be officially confirmed by the club. 

Gone are Brady, Galt, Donnelly, Docherty, Orr, McVey.

Loans finished Kenna,Gullan and Leitch although he has been released by St Mirren. 

Still there at the moment.

White, Millen, Foy, Cummins, Nimmo, McClaughlin, Burns, Gibson, Summers, Fotheringham, Mortimer, McPherson.

Young's guys Magee, Ruth, Miller. 

Although Ruth was on trial with Rangers. 

Anyone heard anything about anyone else leaving.

This is a hard season for Gus he has to totally rebuild our squad to ensure we are competitive. Lot of work to do between now and pre season.

Only one I have heard is a possible return if McKernon. 

Anyone got any news of players coming in. All I am hearing is players going out although still to be officially confirmed by the club. 
Gone are Brady, Galt, Donnelly, Docherty, Orr, McVey.
Loans finished Kenna,Gullan and Leitch although he has been released by St Mirren. 
Still there at the moment.
White, Millen, Foy, Cummins, Nimmo, McClaughlin, Burns, Gibson, Summers, Fotheringham, Mortimer, McPherson.
Young's guys Magee, Ruth, Miller. 
Although Ruth was on trial with Rangers. 
Anyone heard anything about anyone else leaving.
This is a hard season for Gus he has to totally rebuild our squad to ensure we are competitive. Lot of work to do between now and pre season.
Only one I have heard is a possible return if McKernon. 

It’s worth remembering players are leaving other clubs too. We’ve had loans from Hearts, Hibs, Morton, Thistle and St Mirren recently.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It’s worth remembering players are leaving other clubs too. 

When other clubs lose players they either get transfer fees for them or at worst it frees up wages to replace on a like for like basis. If we lose players then more often than not it's with less experienced players who need longer to hit the ground running, so spider 1867's quite correct in his observations. It's all very well to suggest that we can bridge the gap with a few loans here and there, but in my opinion that's short term thinking and doesn't help to create a squad that will be capable of developing over the course of next season into one that can realistically challenge for the title the season after that.

History has taught us that the second season in a higher league is a major hurdle for us, as is the re-grouping season that follows a relegation, and I have serious concerns about the season ahead. However Gus is well versed in this by now, and if anyone can assemble a completely new squad with meagre resources then it's him.

2 hours ago, The Spider said:

When other clubs lose players they either get transfer fees for them or at worst it frees up wages to replace on a like for like basis. If we lose players then more often than not it's with less experienced players who need longer to hit the ground running, so spider 1867's quite correct in his observations. It's all very well to suggest that we can bridge the gap with a few loans here and there, but in my opinion that's short term thinking and doesn't help to create a squad that will be capable of developing over the course of next season into one that can realistically challenge for the title the season after that.

History has taught us that the second season in a higher league is a major hurdle for us, as is the re-grouping season that follows a relegation, and I have serious concerns about the season ahead. However Gus is well versed in this by now, and if anyone can assemble a completely new squad with meagre resources then it's him.

We'll see how it plays out. I doubt very much if Gus will be worrying too much about the following season, for two reasons. Firstly, if he's learned anything it'll be that players use us as a springboard to someting better so there's always a risk that it doesn't get past season 1. Secondly, if it doesn't go well and we drop down Gus most likely will be letting someone else have a go. 

As for squad development, the change to U17-then-Development was catstrophic for us. As we'll no doubt see in the Right Said Fred cup lower league Colts teams will get trampled. Hopefully the new set-up for 18s and the return of The Strollers will help clubs like ours make the transition better. Three cheers for young Malky.

On the upside, expectations are so low right now it could be an enjoyable season, in parts at least.

On 20/05/2018 at 22:57, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Ahem! Hoops. Stripes are the uniform of commoners. Looking forward to it myself. Would love to see the IRN BRU colours back for the second strip too.

No, no, no, stick with the red for the 2nd strip.

1 hour ago, Marshall13 said:

Heard a rumour Muir was coming back any truth in it ?

More than competent goalkeeper but if true then he's clearly using us, so as a matter of principle I'd tell him where to go. Doubt if there's anything in it though as it would clearly be an act of desperation on his part to be seeking a safe haven for a third time.

7 minutes ago, Marshall13 said:

How come ?

Just the regularity with which he’s signed and left etc. Would take him back in a heartbeat btw. With a decent defence and playing every week, there’s not many better keepers in the bottom two leagues.

53 minutes ago, an86 said:

Just the regularity with which he’s signed and left etc. Would take him back in a heartbeat btw. With a decent defence and playing every week, there’s not many better keepers in the bottom two leagues.

53 minutes ago, an86 said:

What was the reason he left ??

7 hours ago, The Spider said:

More than competent goalkeeper but if true then he's clearly using us, so as a matter of principle I'd tell him where to go. Doubt if there's anything in it though as it would clearly be an act of desperation on his part to be seeking a safe haven for a third time.

It's probably just another shitey rumour.... but what if he and Gus have had a sit down and patched up their differences? I'd take him back, no problem at all.

By the way, I wouldn't hold it against him on how he returned to us the first time  i.e  his reasons for signing for East Fife then coming back. These things happen and his performances were one of the major reasons we stayed up that season.

Edited by Mick1867

On 22/05/2018 at 00:36, Spidersmad said:

It was to consist of "red cap, black and white inch stripe jersey and stockings, and white knickerbockers."

I seem to remember I was present at that meeting!!!!!!!! That said, ma heid is spinning with aw they big words. 

Look forward to the red caps at some away games.

Edited by williebraveheart

4 hours ago, Marshall13 said:

What was the reason he left ??

Filthy lucre M13, filthy lucre. Happy to give any player a second chance, but no matter how good any player is taking Muir back yet again would be sending out entirely the wrong message. Do we really want to get into the habit of allowing players to come and go as they please mid-season, and how did that work out for us last season?

We are a club with proud traditions that were put in place for good reason, so forgive me for not joining the clamour to encourage the return of someone who has already treated us contemptuously.