The 2018 Play-Off Thread

Play-Offs  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It’s that time again so keep all your play-off chat here.

Championship

11th May - Derby County vs Fulham

12th May - Middlesbrough vs Aston Villa

14th May - Fulham vs Derby County

15th May - Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough

26th May -

League One

10th May - Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town

12th May - Scunthorpe United vs Rotherham United

13th May - Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic

16th May - Rotherham United vs Scunthorpe United

27th May -

League Two

12th May - Lincoln City vs Exeter City

12th May - Coventry City vs Notts County

17th May - Exeter City vs Lincoln City

18th May - Notts County vs Coventry City

28th May -

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a historical precedent for #3 in the Championship bottling it in the play-offs (think West Ham were the last to beat that statistic), so I've little faith in Fulham. Derby or Boro to grab that final promotion spot.

17 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

There's a historical precedent for #3 in the Championship bottling it in the play-offs (think West Ham were the last to beat that statistic), so I've little faith in Fulham. Derby or Boro to grab that final promotion spot.

As much as I would like to see Fulham go up, I think Derby will do it.

34 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

All starts tonight. Should be a fun couple of weeks

Dutch play-offs move into the semi-finals today; four games, one each at 12:30, 14:30, 16:45, and 20:45 for a whole day of tense footy. I'm surprised the Football League hasn't opted for something similar, starting the day with the League 2 promotion play-off (or Hell, Tranmere - Boreham Wood even), and then moving up to the Championship games in the evening.

10 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Dutch play-offs move into the semi-finals today; four games, one each at 12:30, 14:30, 16:45, and 20:45 for a whole day of tense footy. I'm surprised the Football League hasn't opted for something similar, starting the day with the League 2 promotion play-off (or Hell, Tranmere - Boreham Wood even), and then moving up to the Championship games in the evening.

12.30 and 14.30 on a Thursday? Are people not at work? 

Large swaths of continental Europe celebrate Ascension day/Holy Thursday today, which is considered a bank holiday over here. I figure the British Isles don't have that same luxury, but such a play-off schedule running throughout the whole day would still be neat during the weekend.

poor effort by the Superboeren against Telstar - but a couple of away goals going in to the second leg is something; not too bothered, mind, as they'll lose to RJC even if they do get through...

gotta love the Dutch system with the added relegation jeopardy from the top flight - would be great if there was a similar thing over here !

not so sure about the "period champions" thing, though, including teams who had a decent run six months ago but have been shite ever since seems a bit bizarre...

DB - d'you know if Katwijk or Kozakken Boys opted for promotion ???

50 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

DB - d'you know if Katwijk or Kozakken Boys opted for promotion ???

None of the amateur teams opted for promotion; this is because our backwards FA demands them to upgrade their stadiums and have 16 full time contracted players, which is financial suicide for these teams. Achilles '29 was the first and last to accept promotion, they were then promptly tossed out by the FA last year, are hundreds of thousands of Euros in debt, and have been confirmed for relegation to the fourth tier this season. Hardly inspires confidence from other teams, and the FA doesn't mind as they prefer to fill our second tier with colt teams (of PSV, Ajax, AZ, and Utrecht this season, Ajax strolled to the title).

The Period Champion thing was devised decades ago to keep things interesting in the lower rungs of the second tier as we are the only European country to not have relegation at that level. Means you always have something to play for, but also saw 16th-placed second tier Sparta be on the doorstep to promotion a couple of years ago. Sparta ahead 0-1 at Dordrecht as we speak, I swear if they don't get relegated I'm gonna blow a gasket at having to hear their fans gloat for ANOTHER season.

They are. Four games this Saturday on Sky at 12, 3, 5.15 and 7.45.

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

You, an idiot: West Ham v Manchester United

Me, an intellectual: Charlton v Shrewsbury 

Me, a grumpy cynic: Play-off first legs are typically shite. 

Just now, accies1874 said:

Me, a grumpy cynic: Play-off first legs are typically shite. 

They do, unfortunately. Charlton have started this one quite brightly, in fairness. Hopefully it doesn't fall off a cliff. 

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Carlton Morris :wub:

He ultimately kept us up in 2016. From what I saw in Shrewsbury's cup tie against West Ham, he hasn't changed much; great with his back to goal and linking play. 

Archived