KELLO SECURE OBJECTIVE

Seventies Man

THE SUPER K

Last night Kello Rovers’ players made the long trek to Troon straight from work to play Troon Juniors in the Mcbookie.com

Super First Division. A lot was at stake. A Rovers win would have secured them a place in the second tier of the new four tier league structure being introduced next season which would be a quite remarkable achievement for a team with such limited resources.

Unfortunately, the Rovers had a number of big players missing through injury and Troon Juniors had a lot to play for as well. A win for Troon Juniors would have made them favourites to secure a place in the first tier next season.

Troon has a population of 14,000 and has a marina, a harbour, a municipal golf course, the Royal Troon Open Golf Course, four banks and five primary schools.

Kirkconnel has a population of 2,000 and a chip shop.

Troon scored no goals.

The Rovers scored one goal.

Second tier, HERE WE COME!

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

And you've already been in the 2nd tier all this season.

But well done anyway. emoji16.png

Thank you for the 'well done' though you appear not to have got your head round the new league structure coming in next season and thereby the significant difference in being in the second tier this season and being in the second tier next season. :)

Thank you for the 'well done' though you appear not to have got your head round the new league structure coming in next season and thereby the significant difference in being in the second tier this season and being in the second tier next season. [emoji4]

Eh, I think you'll find I have. [emoji16] Congratulations, you've made it from the top 26 in the West to the new top 32. [emoji106]

I'm genuinely only teasing though, Kello have done very well to survive this season, you have stayed up with a bit to spare.

League reconstruction has worked in your favour, as normally four teams would be going down, but with games still to be played you may well finish outside the bottom four anyway, time will tell. Although I reckon you'll lose to Cambuslang next Saturday.

20 hours ago, Seventies Man said:

THE SUPER K

Last night Kello Rovers’ players made the long trek to Troon straight from work to play Troon Juniors in the Mcbookie.com

Super First Division. A lot was at stake. A Rovers win would have secured them a place in the second tier of the new four tier league structure being introduced next season which would be a quite remarkable achievement for a team with such limited resources.

Unfortunately, the Rovers had a number of big players missing through injury and Troon Juniors had a lot to play for as well. A win for Troon Juniors would have made them favourites to secure a place in the first tier next season.

Troon has a population of 14,000 and has a marina, a harbour, a municipal golf course, the Royal Troon Open Golf Course, four banks and five primary schools.

Troon scored no goals.

Well done to Kello for securing their place in a very competitive league.

However, it really doesn't matter what facilities exist in a village or town, it's 11v 11 on the park which counts.....and hardly any of them will be locals anyway. If it came down to all that, Talbot would be in the ADL.

A wee bit of respect to your opponents might win you some more pals.

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Well done to Kello for securing their place in a very competitive league.

However, it really doesn't matter what facilities exist in a village or town, it's 11v 11 on the park which counts.....and hardly any of them will be locals anyway. If it came down to all that, Talbot would be in the ADL.

A wee bit of respect to your opponents might win you some more pals.

Out of the current pull of players we have at Kello only 5 players that aren’t locals.. Graeme Ramage, Gregg Millar, Ross Costello, Jordan Quinn and Jack Anderson (who’s been injured this season unfortunately) out of a squad of 17.. 

21 minutes ago, Kello Rovers said:

Out of the current pull of players we have at Kello only 5 players that aren’t locals.. Graeme Ramage, Gregg Millar, Ross Costello, Jordan Quinn and Jack Anderson (who’s been injured this season unfortunately) out of a squad of 17.. 

You have 12 players in your squad of 17 that live in Kirkconnel ? That's impressive.

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

You have 12 players in your squad of 17 that live in Kirkconnel ? That's impressive.

Out of the top of my head we have one....that's with an Academy.for all age groups and an under 21 team...who have a few good locals......population 20.000 so you have done a big service to your community.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

50 minutes ago, outsider said:

Would local not include Kelloholm and Sanquhar? 

On 5/6/2018 at 13:04, Seventies Man said:

THE SUPER K

Troon scored no goals.

Hello jimbaxters,

Firstly thank you very much for your kind comments about our achievement this season which are genuinely appreciated. It has indeed been a very competitive league and one which has been a real credit to Junior football. Every single game has been a battle from start to finish with no evidence of any teams throwing in the towel. It is remarkable how even bottom clubs like Maryhill and Shettleston have been beaten by just a single goal in so many matches.

Turning to the other points you make in your post I would suggest that a prescription for light hearted pills would be to your advantage. The post was not designed to be offensive to any other team but rather to reflect what has been a magnificent achievement by Kello Rovers this season, a club which has very limited resources.

You say it is 11 v 11 on the park which counts. Try telling me and other Celtic supporters that the next time we play Barcelona in the Champions League. You imply that Messi is up there with Brown.

You refer to facilities that exist in villages or towns. These were light hearted comments but the reference to population was not, it was for real and I note that you made no reference to population. Population means that East Fife will never finish further up the league than Rangers. And population means that Kello Rovers and Lugar will very rarely finish above Irvine Meadow in the league. Population generates more income and more players to choose from. We are not talking about analysis of World finance here.

You say hardly any of our players will be local. Eleven local boys have played for Kello Rovers this season. By jings, according to my arithmetic that is a full team. I wonder how many other Junior teams could boast that statistic. I suggest a wee bit more research in future before you tuck into your Pie and Bovril!

The bottom line is that a club’s success almost always relates to two things: a) Tradition and b) Population. There will always be a few anomalies and the tradition of Auchinleck Talbot permits them to buck the trend. They are a special club with special supporters. We would all like to replicate their success but they are an anomaly.

I turn again to the main point which is population. As we travel around we hear of some clubs who have very generous sponsorship deals with companies in heavily populated areas. More importantly, we see so many clubs who have licensed premises, unlike us. Some of us were even knocked out to see that some of the clubs we played against had weddings and funeral teas in their licensed premises – weddings for goodness sake! Give us the takings from ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’ and we wouldn’t have to scrimp around all year trying to raise a penny from ticket draws and a multitude of other ways we have to fight for to win every penny.

Kello Rovers has a proud record of showing respect for fellow Junior clubs and if my post came across as offensive then I readily apologise. That was most certainly not my intention even if players from Troon F.C. had described our home venue as a ‘sh.t hole’ just a couple of weeks earlier when they were down in Kirkconnel. 

You are absolutely correct in saying that a wee bit more respect for opponents wins more pals and so I very much hope the relevant Troon players will read your post.

We need to see how the league pans out but we would certainly be most keen to welcome Troon down to our ‘sh.t hole’ again next season to see if we could beat them again. It’s not every week we beat a team who has a population of 14,000, a marina, a harbour, a municipal golf course, the Royal Troon Open Golf Course, four banks and five primary schools.

Best wishes to the Talbot. I have shouted them on many times over the past thirty years in the 'Scottish' when the Rovers have not been playing.

Seventies Man

Archived