Stenhousemuir -vs- Peterhead, Peterhead -vs- Stenhousemuir

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The phrase in boxing "styles make fights" is so apt for us and Peterhead. Whatever the styles are they absolutely can't play against us. Even in the game they won at Ochilview we were the better team.

Everyone within our club was confident of doing another job on them. Let's finish them and give them another doing on Saturday.

Very pleasing when a team throwing money at it, again, are handed their arse to them.

2 minutes ago, Neilly said:

The phrase in boxing "styles make fights" is so apt for us and Peterhead. Whatever the styles are they absolutely can't play against us. Even in the game they won at Ochilview we were the better team.

Everyone within our club was confident of doing another job on them. Let's finish them and give them another doing on Saturday.

Very pleasing when a team throwing money at it, again, are handed their arse to them.

Stenny manager on Sportsound stating that he intends to set his team up the same way at Balmoor and not to defend the lead.

Sensible. On their day, Peterhead can destroy anybody at this level. Their day hasn't come round much against Stenny, though, this season.

All things considered that was a pretty comprehensive victory. And we scored from a corner. Amazing.

Everyone played their part but shout out to Eddie Ferns. Hoping he wasn’t selected for a dope test.

That was a tremendous performance from Stenhousemuir FC this evening. It was our finest display of the season and it gives us a brilliant chance of winning promotion on Saturday. I'm taking nothing for granted - I cannot imagine Peterhead will play as poorly and as passively as they did tonight - but I think we're going up. As soon as we got into the play-offs, I believed we'd get promoted, and this evening has reaffirmed that.

While the whole team played well, Mick Dunlop stood head and shoulders above everyone else. His two goals - and subsequent celebrations - were fantastic. The second in particular was great, the big man steaming into the box unchecked to bullet a header into the net. Mick and his brother Ross were equally as impressive at the back and dealt with Peterhead's limited and one-dimensional attack with little fuss. Ross Meechan and Ruaridh Donaldson did well at full-back, Mark Ferry and Harry Paton largely controlled the middle of the park and Mark McGuigan and Jimmy Scott were both bothersome in attack.

The Blue Toon, meanwhile, didn't really offer much. Rory McAllister didn't look 100 per cent fit and eventually succumbed to a hamstring injury; Russell McLean was quite sparky until injuries elsewhere saw him playing at centre-back; Allan Smith ran a lot but barely saw the ball; and Willie Gibson never really had a grip on things in midfield. I was surprised Simon Ferry didn't make an appearance but I understand he can't (or won't) play on artificial pitches.

The first half was an absorbing contest with both teams enjoying spells of superiority. Stenhousemuir had a couple of penalty shouts turned down. The first saw Mark McGuigan latch on to a dreadful backpass and take the ball around Greg Fleming, and as the 'keeper dived, he appeared to make contact with the striker, causing him to stumble and run the ball out of play. The second saw Harry Paton stride into the penalty box before tumbling - referee Gavin Duncan looked like he awarded a spot kick but had only given a goal kick. There might have been a handball inside the box shortly afterwards too.

There was no disputing Peterhead's penalty - Mark Ferry kicked Allan Smith's foot just as he was about to shoot - but did Rory McAllister foul Ruaridh Donaldson beforehand? The big striker, normally so deadly from 12 yards, sent his shot wide; it was a really shit effort.

Stenhousemuir were the better side over the course of the second half but Mick Dunlop was the real difference. I lost my voice celebrating his first goal and damn near wept when he scored his second. His celebrations were great, running towards the supporters and letting them share in his glory. When Harry Paton dribbled from inside his own half and past David McCracken, I was screaming for him to keep on going but he (wisely?) knocked it wide to McGuigan to kill time in the corner.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. There was a good atmosphere at Ochilview, the yung team behind the goals were in strong voice, and we were rewarded with a great performance and two fine goals from our captain. There is still a lot of work to be done but we're almost there, and it feels fucking good.

McAllister handled a corner right in front of the linesman. Blatant handball, but the linesman bottled it. And yes, clear foul in the lead up to the Peterhead penalty. Justice was served.

46 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

While the whole team played well, Mick Dunlop stood head and shoulders above everyone else. His two goals - and subsequent celebrations - were fantastic. The second in particular was great, the big man steaming into the box unchecked to bullet a header into the net. Mick and his brother Ross were equally as impressive at the back and dealt with Peterhead's limited and one-dimensional attack with little fuss. Mark Ferry and Harry Paton largely controlled the middle of the park.

Didn't see that coming Ces, so I can only assume it was a step up from how Stenny played in the two games against QP where neutrals weren't that impressed with either team. As I've said before for purely geographical reasons I'd far rather Peterhead went up as I enjoy my trips to Ochilview, but on the other hand I'd be thrilled for the Dunlops, Fez and Jazzer (even though the latter seems to be surplus to your requirements in which case can we have him back please?)

Mick's goals were as rare as hen's teeth but he's still a legend down Mount Florida way, so amazing to hear he scored both your goals. Knows his heritage too, and it was noticeable whilst your guys were (rightly) waving to your fans after the final whistle at Hampden, Mick took the time to shake the hand (in a very sympathetic rather than celebratory manner) of every QP player as they came off the pitch.

Must be favourites to go through now, so does that bring extra pressure? We'll see very soon!

McInally taking it well. What an absolute state:lol:

"Everything that could have went wrong for us went wrong.

"I thought both teams were pretty poor and the quality of the game was poor.

"We've lost two goals from set pieces which was the defining part of the game because I think a draw would have been fair.

"We have a mountain to climb now and at the minute don't have a defender really, so will have to muster a team.

"Rory has pulled his hamstring so that will be him finished."

Great result stenny finish the job now Saturday.Golden balls missing a penalty as well....Oh dear.Was Willie Gibson giving it the big time Charlie or did he accept defeat?

Jim McInally in the play offs.

2008-09 - East Stirlingshire were defeated by Cowdenbeath in the semi final.  A 2-1 loss at Ochilview was followed by a 1-1 draw at Central Park. John Dempster equalising late on led to carnage - Michael Bolochoweckyj and Sean Anderson were both sent off disputing the equaliser and McInally too was sent off.  99% certain he smashed in a door after the match.

2012-13 -  Peterhead were defeated by East Fife in the final. A 4-1 aggregate victory over Queens Park meant the Blue Toon were confident going into the final. After a 0-0 draw in Fife a narrow 1-0 defeat thanks to a goal from David Muir saw East Fife avoid relegation and set up matches against Rangers.

2015-16 - defeated by Ayr United in the semi final.  Thrashed would be a better way to describe it than defeated.   A 4-1 loss at Balmoor was followed by a 2-1 loss at Somerset. Ayr went on to win promotion on penalties over Stranraer.

2016-17 - defeated by Forfar in the final.  Pumped would be a better way to describe it than defeated.  A 4-1 aggregate win over Montrose saw the League 1 side face the runners up in League 2. Despite taking an early lead away from home they crashed to a 2-1 defeat with 10 men. Not a horrendous score to take back to Balmoor. How did that match go?  Peterhead 1 Forfar 5.  Ouch.

2017-18 - to be confirmed but currently 2-0 down to Stenhousemuir.  

He's an awful manager who Peterhead really should have gotten rid off last season.

EDIT to add - 

2005-06 - Morton were defeated 1-0 on aggregate by Peterhead in the semi final.  Thanks virginton!

2 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Jim McInally in the play offs.

2008-09 - East Stirlingshire were defeated by Cowdenbeath in the semi final.  A 2-1 loss at Ochilview was followed by a 1-1 draw at Central Park. John Dempster equalising late on led to carnage - Michael Bolochoweckyj and Sean Anderson were both sent off disputing the equaliser and McInally too was sent off.  99% certain he smashed in a door after the match.

2012-13 -  Peterhead were defeated by East Fife in the final. A 4-1 aggregate victory over Queens Park meant the Blue Toon were confident going into the final. After a 0-0 draw in Fife a narrow 1-0 defeat thanks to a goal from David Muir saw East Fife avoid relegation and set up matches against Rangers.

2015-16 - defeated by Ayr United in the semi final.  Thrashed would be a better way to describe it than defeated.   A 4-1 loss at Balmoor was followed by a 2-1 loss at Somerset. Ayr went on to win promotion on penalties over Stranraer.

2016-17 - defeated by Forfar in the final.  Pumped would be a better way to describe it than defeated.  A 4-1 aggregate win over Montrose saw the League 1 side face the runners up in League 2. Despite taking an early lead away from home they crashed to a 2-1 defeat with 10 men. Not a horrendous score to take back to Balmoor. How did that match go?  Peterhead 1 Forfar 5.  Ouch.

2017-18 - to be confirmed but currently 2-0 down to Stenhousemuir.  

He's an awful manager who Peterhead really should have gotten rid off last season.

He also completely bottled the semi final of the first set of play-offs in 2005-06 with Morton., losing to Peterhead of all teams.  It must be a record within Scottish football. 

Archived