20 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

LTHV will have a licence pretty soon. That's not to mention the thirteen junior and amateur clubs joining this year (at present headcount) of whom half a dozen at least aren;t just there to make up the numbers but to push on as much as they can.

I think you're maybe misconstruing the WoS feeder argument. It's an area soaked in football clubs yet the only one without direct access to the LL; the need only arose with the creation of the LL. As you rightly point out Glasgow/ Ayrshire clubs have joined the league in the recent past, but it's probably unreasonable to expect SoS to absorb 12-16 clubs in one fell swoop. I doubt any new WoS league will be a "closed shop" for D&G teams wishing to take part in it, either.

The final point surely is that "prosperity" has to be understood in context. For many teams in the SoS competing in that league to a good standard is prosperity. Fair enough. However, should such a league be just one step below the Lowland League? The formation of a WoS may see that question asked seriously.

‘The need only arose with the creation of the LL’ ! The West Juniors along with their counterparts in the rest of the country chose not to be part of the Pyramid during its inception several seasons ago but now seem keener to participate and I’d assume a lot of that is to do with the financial situation available in senior football and the opportunity to open new avenues !

I don’t for one second think that the traditional big Junior Clubs particularly need to follow this path but a few are beginning to choose this option as a way to climb the ladder whereas the rest are simply jumping on the bandwagon as they feel securing a ‘quick licence’ will provide financial stability ( Scottish Cup ) and a platform to expand further.

To answer your final point why would you assume if the EOSFL can absorb all these new sides that the South couldn't do likewise and either go down the geographical split or simply garner individual attitudes to see who wants to compete and succeed and who simply is content to participate at their own perceived level where they can hold their own in their eyes 

1 hour ago, south fan 5 said:

I believe that the gap between the LL and the SOSFL is huge as shown last night when Dalbeattie beat abbey vale 5-0 and it could of been more from what I heard. This compares to a much smaller gulf in quality in the EOSFL where kelty hearts have competed with the better teams in the league on two occasions this season. 

It was indeed very one sided last night. No disrespect intended to Abbey Vale at all but I don't think the gulf in quality is so large between the bottom of the Lowland and top of the South though as Dalbeattie's after extra time win over Lochar Thistle in the cup a few weeks back would maybe suggest.

7 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

Is this just slate the south of Scotland league. Can we not be positive?

Aye there's some cracking players and indeed teams in the South league

8 hours ago, south fan 5 said:

I believe that the gap between the LL and the SOSFL is huge as shown last night when Dalbeattie beat abbey vale 5-0 and it could of been more from what I heard. This compares to a much smaller gulf in quality in the EOSFL where kelty hearts have competed with the better teams in the league on two occasions this season. 

Kelty destroyed everyone in the East as they would had they done had they been in the South bar one solitary loss to LTHV so your comparison isn’t too accurate really is it ! Earlier in the season Star only beat Annan 3-1 who were with all due respect second bottom in the SOSFL and as stated their game with Lochar was close. On their day the best teams in the South could certainly give the the bottom end of the LL a decent game as I’m sure their stronger East counterparts could likewise ! Try to make a reasonable point in future rather than just take pot shots for the sake of it as Beardyman has suggested - have a nice evening south fan 5 with your 3 posts in total , please try to be constructive if you could in future my good man ( don’t want to be presumptive ) 

1 hour ago, south fan 5 said:

I wasn’t meaning to slate the south in any way, I was just stating an opinion that I believe is true. The SOSFL have some cracking players and teams as stated above but I do think when the the likes of Dalbeattie are on their day there is a gap in class. Games that have been played throughout the season have shown that the south teams can hold their own which is good for the league.

To be fair to you South Fan 5 - Dalbeattie we’re always one of the best teams in the South during the 80s and 90s before they went East and now the additional income / finance they have secured during recent seasons in the LL have all but insured there really should be a gulf in class ( in general ) between themselves and the SOSFL.  The League was very competitive for a long while with barely double figures of points separating the top 8 or 9 at one point before the stronger squads began to eventually pull away and fight for the title. I’ve really enjoyed the closer competition this year and hopefully if any new arrivals come on board with the returning Wigtown we can look forward to another tremendous battle here in the South 

Archived