Cove v's Cowdenbeath / Cowdenbeath v's Cove

5 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Even the BBC were biased against Cowden then? 

There couldn’t have been a better outcome. Cove players and manager talking themselves up all week in the local press. Slagging off all things Cowden. 

I had a lot of sympathy for EK last season but absolutely nil for Cove and their fans who were whining all game and calling the ref a cheat from the kick off for every decision he gave against them. We don’t need that in fitba. Good riddance.

I go to a few HL games a season and I always get the impression of a sense of entitlement around Cove and their fans.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The issue I have with no automatic relegation is that from after last season's survival fans and directors etc stating that they will kick on the next season. One year on,same place, still as poor and not in any way punished for it. Automatic relegation is the way to go IMO. I'm a few years hopefully the pyramid below the lowland league will be set up properly.
It needs to be set up for this season. Over 20 teams in the EoS as it stands!

11 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Have a look at their Facebook page. A bunch of Neanderthals.

i go to loads of highland league games.dont think ive ever seen more than a dozen cove fans together before,that was all just glory hunting hangers on yesterday with very few exceptions

12 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Their Facebook page took it well..IMG_1526201826.374958.jpg

I am appalled at that, they should be ashamed of themselves. What sort of idiot would do that? An apostrophe ess means it belongs, no apostrophe means plural. Shocking, nothing worse than poor grammar and spelling on social media.

The issue I have with no automatic relegation is that from after last season's survival fans and directors etc stating that they will kick on the next season. One year on,same place, still as poor and not in any way punished for it. Automatic relegation is the way to go IMO. I'm a few years hopefully the pyramid below the lowland league will be set up properly.

Cowdenbeath still hanging in there obviously waiting for the inevitable showdown and big payday with Kelty, which will happen eventually!!!

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:

Essentially I agree with this but it could mean a properly run club has one bad season and they're history. When East Stirling went I felt it was justice as they'd lost/sold their ground years ago and been lodgers at  Stenny and been bottom for a few seasons IIRC, meanwhile most other small clubs struggle to keep their stadiums up to scratch. 

Cowden are lodgers at the stock car track I believe and if they finish bottom next year again then I believe they should receive automatic relegation. I'm sure that was one of the factors which brought about relegation from the league with the likes of East Stirling and Montrose constantly down there every season for a while. Montrose have improved (greatly) so deserved to avoid it.

If I appear biased or smug I am not as when I started supporting the Loons as a nipper we were bottom regularly along with Brechin and East Stirling before the Archie Knox revolution. If they'd brought this in then Forfar would have been long gone or certainly not in the position of reaching national cup semi finals and beating Rangers like I have enjoyed in my lifetime.

100 years ago: from the "Aberdeen Evening Express".  This after City destroyed them 3-0 at Inverurie. 

"Cove earned a 1-1 draw in the return at Meadowbank on Saturday but Sheran had no complaints and said: “We just can’t afford to give any team a three-goal start, particularly one which plays five at the back, sits in and tries to hit on the break.

“We made ourselves second favourites to progress after that first leg and today we just couldn’t get going throughout this match.

Cove manager John Sheran on the Meadowbank touchline on Saturday. Picture by Colin Rennie
Cove manager John Sheran on the Meadowbank touchline on Saturday. Picture by Colin Rennie

“If Connor Scully’s goal had stood it may have been a different story, and I couldn’t see why it wasn’t allowed, but so be it.

“Edinburgh City’s style of football is not my brand, I think it is negative football, but it works really well for them and they are very well coached.

“They deserve to go through.”

Negative football... where are you now you bunch of embittered sheepshaggers? 

Some Monday morning reading for us Cowden fans - 

John Sheran -

I really don't know where we get these officials from.

I don't know if they don't like teams from the Highlands - I think Buckie had similar problems last year.

The referee was completely biased towards Cowdenbeath.

It was a tackle. But he gets assaulted by Cowdenbeath players from behind - they were in the technical area. You've got two players - Cox and Gilfillan - sitting in there attacking our player on the park, and they're off the park. How can that be allowed and they get to stay in the technical area? It's ridiculous.

I'm going to say my words carefully here; we feel cheated by the system and by officialdom. It is extremely frustrating. All the Cove people have travelled and we've played a hell of a lot of games this year.

I'm not calling anybody a cheat, I'm just saying we feel cheated by the system and four officials missing that block. You would've been better playing rugby.

After what I've said they will probably want to call me up and fine me. The referee decided to send myself and Mr Bollan to the stand for absolutely nothing.

That melee resulted from the referee's complete loss of control of the game. He had lost it long before that and if you keep making continual mistakes then my other players get frustrated. From my point of view, it looked like he was wearing a blue shirt.

The Aberdeen Evening Express

In horrible, unsporting scenes afterwards, the Blue Brazil players stood taunting the Aberdeen team’s fans.

The Press & Journal

At the final whistle, several Cowdenbeath players goaded the disappointed Cove fans as a fiery contest came to an end.

tenor.gif?itemid=8292187

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

Essentially I agree with this but it could mean a properly run club has one bad season and they're history. When East Stirling went I felt it was justice as they'd lost/sold their ground years ago and been lodgers at  Stenny and been bottom for a few seasons IIRC, meanwhile most other small clubs struggle to keep their stadiums up to scratch. 

Cowden are lodgers at the stock car track I believe and if they finish bottom next year again then I believe they should receive automatic relegation. I'm sure that was one of the factors which brought about relegation from the league with the likes of East Stirling and Montrose constantly down there every season for a while. Montrose have improved (greatly) so deserved to avoid it.

If I appear biased or smug I am not as when I started supporting the Loons as a nipper we were bottom regularly along with Brechin and East Stirling before the Archie Knox revolution. If they'd brought this in then Forfar would have been long gone or certainly not in the position of reaching national cup semi finals and beating Rangers like I have enjoyed in my lifetime.

Good point.

Throughout the history of Scottish football there have generally been times when one team in particular has finished bottom of the lowest league for an extended period.

Albion Rovers, Forfar, East Stirling, Brechin, Montrose and quite a few other teams have spent quite a few years struggling at the foot of the table. If we had automatic relegation every season how many of them would exist now ?

Don't forget that only a few years ago Cowden were a Championship side. Maybe in another few years they will be again, who knows ?

The play-off system is designed to give a lower league team the opportunity to get up into the top leagues, if good enough. I think that's fair enough at the moment.

Cove have form for the type of behaviour we witnessed on Saturday. I'm sure it was Turriff away (circa 2016 when Buckie pipped them to the title) they lost the head and similar scenes occurred. I'm sure that was because everyone was also against them then!! Strange so many people are against a pretty insignificant club from the North East!

The game was very eventful on Saturday and at half time I fully expected us to lose the tie. Cove just never showed up second half and didn't know how to play the occasion. They will know deep down that they have missed a great chance here and probably should have win over two ties. All that hard work to end like that :)

The scenes at the end of the game were great fun however for Sheran to blame anyone but his own players is laughable. Watson (shock) approached the dug out and threw punches at an injured Bryan Gillfilan. No other way to put it. They are bad losers as they simply aren't used to losing due. It will surprise no one to learn they aren't liked in the HL.

EDIT: The relegation play offs need changed. 10th HAS to go down automatically however moaning on this thread about it isn't really going to change much and it certainly isn't Cowdenbeath's issue.

Yeah, they’d three sent off along with the manager as they scraped a draw at Turriff when they needed to win.

Sheran comes across as having issues. I think it was last season he claimed to have seen a photo of a disallowed goal at Fraserburgh showing the ball crossing the line, only for us to see it after and notice it showed nothing of the sort.

They were disliked in the SHFL because they won all the time. Now they are actually disliked because of this kind of crap.

Archived