Travelling people and YouTube “beefs”

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

So you find it completely acceptable to talk about a minority group using slurs to describe them?

Who, said it was a slur? 

Before you go all he said they said, you can shove it.  I've worked and have very close associated with "Pikeys" They could not give a shite what you "tag" them. I don't think the morning meetings are what we want to be called this week.

21 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Who, said it was a slur? 

Before you go all he said they said, you can shove it.  I've worked and have very close associated with "Pikeys" They could not give a shite what you "tag" them. I don't think the morning meetings are what we want to be called this week.

I did, then you agreed. 

Aye thats right, the travellers don't give a shite what you call them. Away and don't talk pish! You do not have the first idea.

23 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

post in the "you got beef" thread. I'll set up some c**t to batter you up and down the Tay Bridge.  

Aye ok. "I'll get the bigger boys on you!" Fanny.

4 hours ago, mathematics said:

My dad married a gypsy (not my mum) and they called themselves gypsies, or travellers. 

My sister-in-law, daughter of a gypsy and for full gypsy stock called them gyppos: she wasn’t proud of her heritage.

I’m married to a Romany Gypsy. We’ve both led for the most, a gorgia life, but obviously mixed the two. She’s proud of her family heritage, but at the same time has very little time for some of the ways. Johnnys right though, gypo and pikey is generally seen to be offensive and I have seen the consequences of using these terms many times 

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

No, it is a negative slur. Basically means thief.

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

As I said correct,  prove  me wrong.

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Their is no bigger boys Johhny, why you talking about us like that..you know the truth.

I never agreed on nothing, you're putting words in my mouth now.

John, you and your family need to give some respect some time

I was not putting words in your mouth, maybe your poor English has confused things.

The rest of your post makes no sense at all.

56 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

I’m married to a Romany Gypsy. We’ve both led for the most, a gorgia life, but obviously mixed the two. She’s proud of her family heritage, but at the same time has very little time for some of the ways. Johnnys right though, gypo and pikey is generally seen to be offensive and I have seen the consequences of using these terms many times 

Thank you.

It just seems to be one of the few minority groups that folk seem to think they can degrade openly without any backlash.

28 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Thank you.

It just seems to be one of the few minority groups that folk seem to think they can degrade openly without any backlash.

Aye as soon as a few trailers pull on somewhere nearby, everyone loses their shit, they lock their doors and go onto social media and slag away to their hearts content.  Society has come a long way, but the travelling community are still deemed fair game for public insults. 

1 minute ago, heedthebaa said:

Aye as soon as a few trailers pull on somewhere nearby, everyone loses their shit, they lock their doors and go onto social media and slag away to their hearts content.  Society has come a long way, but the travelling community are still deemed fair game for public insults. 

I agree totally.

I think it stems from the nosiness of the general public thinking they have a right to know what goes on in peoples private lives, because Travellers are very private folk and are quite good at it, joe public doesn't like it and attacks the unknown.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Probably doesn't help dispel this uneasiness that because travellers keep to themselves the only interactions other people have with them are antagonistic. Certainly true for my own experience.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I think Travellers come across this way is because the decades of persecution they have had to endure (and still do) has installed a distrust with folk not of their own kind.

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Probably doesn't help dispel this uneasiness that because travellers keep to themselves the only interactions other people have with them are antagonistic. Certainly true for my own experience.

That , and the fact that just about every town or city in Scotland will at some point have  had the dubious pleasure of so-called travellers having pitched up on some vacant piece of land and left it in an absolutely filthy state, with no regard for the non-travelling community

32 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I agree totally.

I think it stems from the nosiness of the general public thinking they have a right to know what goes on in peoples private lives, because Travellers are very private folk and are quite good at it, joe public doesn't like it and attacks the unknown.

Their lifestyle has certainly become more difficult, with more and more settling down, themselves to blame really. I used to love a day out hawking, a night at a camp fire, the summer fairs, but there’s always the piss takers in amongst any community that spoils it 

24 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

That works both ways though. For every traveller to blame, there’s an equal amount of non travellers also. I’m in no way sticking up for them, there’s very little or no trust between either