Picking players for Peru/Mexico matches

IF..... Celtic , Aberdeen , Rangers And hibs are our European representatives for next season (I expect Celtic to beat Motherwell)

Should McLeish be picking players from the above clubs as the UEFA competitions for these clubs will begin around 10-12 July for 3 of them (2nd place  will be 2 weeks later if Celtic win cup)

Aberden , Rangers And Hibs will finish on 13th May with Celtic 6 days later.

We then have these 2 pointless games many didn’t want on the 29th May and 2ndJune with the press and fans questioning just how many players will pull out?

The SFA clearly didnt think this through as for the 4 teams mentioned it means these players won’t get much rest before they have to start preseason again (clubs will prob want at least a month before resuming training and a month before the 1st European game)

the co efficient is continually falling so surely for these games our European representative should be given adequate time to get ready for these games especially as they are friendlies and not qualifiers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, RangersScotland18 said:

IF..... Celtic , Aberdeen , Rangers And hibs are our European representatives for next season (I expect Celtic to beat Motherwell)

Should McLeish be picking players from the above clubs as the UEFA competitions for these clubs will begin around 10-12 July for 3 of them (2nd place  will be 2 weeks later if Celtic win cup)

Aberden , Rangers And Hibs will finish on 13th May with Celtic 6 days later.

We then have these 2 pointless games many didn’t want on the 29th May and 2ndJune with the press and fans questioning just how many players will pull out?

The SFA clearly didnt think this through as for the 4 teams mentioned it means these players won’t get much rest before they have to start preseason again (clubs will prob want at least a month before resuming training and a month before the 1st European game)

the co efficient is continually falling so surely for these games our European representative should be given adequate time to get ready for these games especially as they are friendlies and not qualifiers.

These games are not pointless.   Rangers 'European run' however is utterly pointless because they'll be papped out before the end of the Summer holidays.    Perhaps Rangers should do the right thing and not accept entry to the Europa League?  

Well, he's right.  The games aren't pointless, and I dare say the SFA put them above what clubs do in Europe in terms of importance.

Blaming the SFA or the Scotland team for one of our sides going out in May to a team of butchers, bakers and candlestick makers is the pointless thing.  A professional football team should be able to beat the sides that they're likely to face early on.  If Rangers (or Hibs, or Aberdeen) get put out by another Progres type side, it won't be because a couple of players decided they'd rather advance their international careers rather than head off on holiday for a few days more.

I agree that the clubs should win their first games but in recent season this has shown not to be give case .

The games recieved widespread criticism when they were announced from fans a press alike as we are not involved in the Finals. 

It will be Interesting as expected when so many pull out for these games. To be honest I do t blame the players , it’s a daft time to have 2 friendlies the other side of the world for which is seen as a jolly for the SFA.

These games hold far more importance to me than whoever Rangers draw in a competition they cannot win.    Thankfully non-Rangers fans tend to have more respect for Scotland.    Folk like Leigh Griffiths .

“Obviously they are two difficult games but they are exciting ones as well.

“The travelling is a bit of a nightmare but I would be able to come back and still get a decent rest before we start pre-season.

“I have not spoken to Alex McLeish or my manager here about it. As the season draws closer to an end hopefully we will sit down and have a chat.

“If Mr McLeish got on the phone to me and explained he was wanting me for the summer friendlies and that I was going to get game time I’d be delighted to go.”

These games should be for English- based players who don’t start till August. Exceptions might be Griffiths and Armstrong who’ve missed a lot of the season through injury and don’t need to rest. Make no mistake, players do need a break and we’ll rue dragging them to Peru and Mexico if they then miss  qualifiers due to fatigue-type injuries.

I see Rangers are being singled out when obv by my name that I am a gers fan. I did mention our 4 clubs who probably will be in European competition. 

The English based players was what u was thinking aswell and prob some fringe players to from Scotland. 

It will be interested who’s selected and if McLeish will give those in possible European selection a bye for these games. That is my point irrelevant of what team I support.

i suspect many will pull out too prob on advice from clubs too. 

Andy Robertson almost certainly out of this DBL header as the squad flies out before the CL final.
I imagine that if Celtic are - as expected - going to be dicks about releasing players then Tierney will be the prime candidate to miss out there. McGregor and Forrest too probably. Gordon, Hendry, Armstrong and Griffiths you could argue have had plenty of injury-enforced or non-selection based rest so perhaps McLeish and Rodgers might reach a compromise over them (play 1 game each or something).
Burke has been named in the U21s for the Toulon tourney so he won't be in - tho I'd have been tempted to have him along.

So bearing that in mind, I'd go for a squad of:

Gordon
Archer (deserves a run out here, possibly even to start both games)
McLaughlin

McKenna
Hendry
Berra
Hanley
Souttar
Lyndsay
Douglas
O'Donnell
Paterson

McTominay
McGinn
Fletcher or MacArthur
Morgan (sounds like McLeish is considering this)
Henderson
Armstrong
McGeouch
Phillips
Fraser

Griffiths
McBurnie
Snodgrass

Guest DAVIDB69

They should not even consider the fact that our clubs need to play in Europe early July. They play at this time because they are not good enough

They should not even consider the fact that our clubs need to play in Europe early July. They play at this time because they are not good enough

Why would we not consider that? Given it means our Celtic contingent would not really get a break at all - then meaning they won’t be as fresh when we need them for competitive games.

In what way would Celtic's players "not really get a break"?

Mexico v Scotland is on June 2nd, they'll play some minor club in CL QR1, and QR2 1st leg isn't until July 25th: they can quite happily give Scots internationalists 4 weeks off and have them in for 4 weeks of pre-season if desired.

This whole "outrage" scenario is dreamt up by the media. If this was an odd-numbered year with international qualifiers they'd actually be 1 week after the Peru / Mexico games. Anyone they have at WC won't even start until 2-3 weeks after the Peru / Mexico games, and finish 3-6 weeks after. Celtic's CL ties (of which the first is a formality) aren't any earlier than EL or LC groups.

On 05/05/2018 at 10:00, Gordopolis said:

Andy Robertson almost certainly out of this DBL header as the squad flies out before the CL final.
I imagine that if Celtic are - as expected - going to be dicks about releasing players then Tierney will be the prime candidate to miss out there. McGregor and Forrest too probably. Gordon, Hendry, Armstrong and Griffiths you could argue have had plenty of injury-enforced or non-selection based rest so perhaps McLeish and Rodgers might reach a compromise over them (play 1 game each or something).
Burke has been named in the U21s for the Toulon tourney so he won't be in - tho I'd have been tempted to have him along.

So bearing that in mind, I'd go for a squad of:

Gordon
Archer (deserves a run out here, possibly even to start both games)
McLaughlin

McKenna
Hendry
Berra
Hanley
Souttar
Lyndsay
Douglas
O'Donnell
Paterson

McTominay
McGinn
Fletcher or MacArthur
Morgan (sounds like McLeish is considering this)
Henderson
Armstrong
McGeouch
Phillips
Fraser

Griffiths
McBurnie
Snodgrass

Don’t  you think it’s better for Tierney that he has a rest?

30 minutes ago, woof! said:

No, he's 20 years old, fit as a fiddle, has had lots of rests recently, has already missed out on several caps and has the next month after these games off.  I'd start him in both.

No, he's 20 years old, fit as a fiddle, has had lots of rests recently, has already missed out on several caps and has the next month after these games off.  I'd start him in both.

It's probably going to be his only chance of getting a start at LB as well!!!

Archived