Picking players for Peru/Mexico matches

25 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

No, he's 20 years old, fit as a fiddle, has had lots of rests recently, has already missed out on several caps and has the next month after these games off.  I'd start him in both.

I’m fairly sure he has a week off after these games.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, woof! said:

I’m fairly sure he has a week off after these games.

I think you'll find its more than that.  And if he's getting burnt out (which he's not given he's missed loads of games recently) then perhaps Celtic should look after him better.  I would give him at least an hour in both games.

52 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I think you'll find its more than that.  And if he's getting burnt out (which he's not given he's missed loads of games recently) then perhaps Celtic should look after him better.  I would give him at least an hour in both games.

in February he had supposedly played more games than any other player in the world in the previous year. It’s not good for a young player.

18 minutes ago, woof! said:

in February he had supposedly played more games than any other player in the world in the previous year. It’s not good for a young player.

Well celtic should look after him better then.  But it was actually outfield player in Europe, and he's hardly kicked a ball since.  Was out for four weeks then another two.  He's well rested. Experience is very good for a young player.

2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Well celtic should look after him better then.  But it was actually outfield player in Europe, and he's hardly kicked a ball since.  Was out for four weeks then another two.  He's well rested. Experience is very good for a young player.

I wouldn’t be surprised if his injury was fatigue-related. Celtic should indeed look after him better, but it doesn’t mean Scotland should be irresponsible with him.

13 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

No, he's 20 years old, fit as a fiddle, has had lots of rests recently, has already missed out on several caps and has the next month after these games off.  I'd start him in both.

He's already played over 50 games for Celtic alone this season why risk playing  more in friendlies?

Scott Brown, a player who is more naturally fit, admitted he really struggled to play the extra games that Celtic required in his autobiography when he moved from Hibs. His form suffered because of it.

I can understand picking the likes of Hendry,Armstrong, Gordon but why risk injury to a player who is fatigued when it can bite Scotland on the arse when it really matters.

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He's already played over 50 games for Celtic alone this season why risk playing  more in friendlies?

Scott Brown, a player who is more naturally fit, admitted he really struggled to play the extra games that Celtic required in his autobiography when he moved from Hibs. His form suffered because of it.

I can understand picking the likes of Hendry,Armstrong, Gordon but why risk injury to a player who is fatigued when it can bite Scotland on the arse when it really matters.

Bullshit.  He's just had six weeks off and no proof he is fatigued.  He is also naturally fitter than brown.  If Celtic are worried about burnout they need to look after him better, two games for Scotland never burned anybody out.

22 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Bullshit.  He's just had six weeks off and no proof he is fatigued.  He is also naturally fitter than brown.  If Celtic are worried about burnout they need to look after him better, two games for Scotland never burned anybody out.

He really isn't, he had multiple injuries as a teen including a broken leg as well. Being injured unprovoked would indicate a sign of fatigue. Add in to the broken jaw he had tail end of last season he has a hardy player mentality but his body isn't that of top athletic type quite yet. Two long distance friendlies are a needless risk.

21 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Also that's the life of a top player if he wants to be one that's 50 games a season plus international for the next fifteen years.  

Due to his talent and mentality he will play 50 games a season (injury pending) as he is practically un-droppable but where possible he does need rest as his body has proven in the past it is susceptible to injuries. Some Top players are renowned for missing friendlies so I don't know where you are coming from really. There are also examples of 'top' players being overplayed as youngsters and not getting back to the same level because of injury, Michael Owen being a prime example

16 hours ago, gannonball said:

Funny you should say that, given that Celtic picked him in 5 friendlies this season.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Funny you should say that, given that Celtic picked him in 5 friendlies this season.

As in the pre season games he played to get up to fitness after breaking his jaw? :blink: Also just had a look and could only see him play in 4.

He played against Linz, Rapid Vienna, Slavia Prague, Shamrock Rovers and Sunderland.  So to be clear, friendlies for Celtic won't contribute to burnout, but those for Scotland will?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He played against Linz, Rapid Vienna, Slavia Prague, Shamrock Rovers and Sunderland.  So to be clear, friendlies for Celtic won't contribute to burnout, but those for Scotland will?

those were pre-season games to get fit. If Celtic are abusing this player, it doesn’t mean that Scotland should do it too.

22 hours ago, gannonball said:

He really isn't, he had multiple injuries as a teen including a broken leg as well. Being injured unprovoked would indicate a sign of fatigue. Add in to the broken jaw he had tail end of last season he has a hardy player mentality but his body isn't that of top athletic type quite yet. Two long distance friendlies are a needless risk.

Due to his talent and mentality he will play 50 games a season (injury pending) as he is practically un-droppable but where possible he does need rest as his body has proven in the past it is susceptible to injuries. Some Top players are renowned for missing friendlies so I don't know where you are coming from really. There are also examples of 'top' players being overplayed as youngsters and not getting back to the same level because of injury, Michael Owen being a prime example

Absolute shite.  Tierney is obviously a more natural athlete than brown who is shaped like a fkn monkey.  And would it fkn indicate fatigue you fkn clown there's a million ways you can get injured.  Everyone's body is susceptible to injury you moron.

If he needs rests then Celtic should rest him.  It's not Scotland he's playing 50 times a season for.  I would start him in both games he needs the experience.

You're an anti Scottish racist always on here spouting your pish, get yourself to fk.  In a year when he's at man utd he won't be your concern anyway he doesn't play for Ireland.

Archived