My brother started his highers today, which meant that the house was awoken to the noise of him spewing. This is Geography, his best subject, so God only knows what he'll be like with maths.

I always quite enjoyed exam time because I was really good at memorising things and working on my own, and they didn't ever really stress me. It also meant I didn't have to bother going into school, which I absolutely hated by fifth year. He seems to be the opposite, always asking people questions around the house, and making up wee quizzes. His way of working is stressing out my Mum considerably more than my totally relaxed approach, and that's making the house a pretty damn tense place to be!

Any other P&Bers have relatives sitting SQA exams this year?

Any P&Bers actually sitting them?

Did they suit your style of working, or did they totally stress you out for a month?

My brother started his highers today, which meant that the house was awoken to the noise of him spewing. This is Geography, his best subject, so God only knows what he'll be like with maths.
I always quite enjoyed exam time because I was really good at memorising things and working on my own, and they didn't ever really stress me. It also meant I didn't have to bother going into school, which I absolutely hated by fifth year. He seems to be the opposite, always asking people questions around the house, and making up wee quizzes. His way of working is stressing out my Mum considerably more than my totally relaxed approach, and that's making the house a pretty damn tense place to be!
Any other P&Bers have relatives sitting SQA exams this year?
Any P&Bers actually sitting them?
Did they suit your style of working, or did they totally stress you out for a month?

Totally stressed me out, to the point that I decided to spread my higher subjects over two years in 5th and 6th year. Annoying as f**k because looking back, considering how well I performed in university, I should have absolutely tanked all of my highers. I left school with 5 highers and an advanced higher but I could have got better grades than I did.

Aye school exams are just a memory test more than anything else.

They're worth taking seriously since they will help should you wish to do further education, although if you fail them or perform poorly it's not the end of the world, as you can easily do a college course to get what you need.

I have never exactly been a clever b*****d but did enough to leave with 3 Highers, including English with which I was very chuffed and send me on the route I wanted to go.

I dislike(d) exams as much as everyone else does, but they didn’t make me ill, physically mentally. I do remember, though, being near breaking point when I went through Int 2 Maths in fourth year, f**k knows how but I scraped by with a C and that probably remains by proudest academic achievement to date, including my degree :lol:

I can understand why, in secondary school, they want to encourage children to leave with the best grades they can and not have any regrets later in life regarding sticking in etc, but there is too much pressure IMO. My school was really bad for almost insisting that you either went to uni straight away or your life was fucked. Many, many more people from different areas/schools that I’ve spoken to since leaving school have said the same.

16 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Totally stressed me out, to the point that I decided to spread my higher subjects over two years in 5th and 6th year. Annoying as f**k because looking back, considering how well I performed in university, I should have absolutely tanked all of my highers. I left school with 5 highers and an advanced higher but I could have got better grades than I did.

I don't think I could've kept myself motivated to do them over two years. By the end of my highers I couldn't wait to leave school, and I just spent sixth year playing football, learning how to drive, and occasionally turning up for Geography because it was a great class.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye school exams are just a memory test more than anything else.

They're worth taking seriously since they will help should you wish to do further education, although if you fail them or perform poorly it's not the end of the world, as you can easily do a college course to get what you need.

Best thing a teacher ever told me was "I'm here to teach you how to pass an exam, I'm not here to teach you Maths". After that I realised I didn't have to understand anything, all I had to do was find a way to memorise things. Which wasn't difficult at all.

Makes  a mockery of the system I suppose, but there you are. I actually took a look over my Int.2 Maths paper an hour or so ago, and I have no idea how to do any of it. I got an A and over 80% :lol:

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Best thing a teacher ever told me was "I'm here to teach you how to pass an exam, I'm not here to teach you Maths". After that I realised I didn't have to understand anything, all I had to do was find a way to memorise things. Which wasn't difficult at all.
Makes  a mockery of the system I suppose, but there you are. I actually took a look over my Int.2 Maths paper an hour or so ago, and I have no idea how to do any of it. I got an A and over 80% :lol:

Better man than I. I failed int2 maths in 4th year; best maths grade I have to my name is a 4 at Standard Grade General. Funnily enough; my job involves statistical analysis, go figure eh? [emoji23]

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I look back at exams now and piss myself laughing that I ever gave a f**k.  Complete waste of time.

Would agree with this, remember girls in our year spewing before going into the exam hall, becoming filled with anxiety and stress. 

I left school with a C in Higher English, A in Higher History, and a couple of Int 2's. 

Went to college for a couple weeks before getting a full time job and have never looked back. You are never going to get rejected from a job if you have the relevant skills and have proved so in previous work. 

So if you are about to sit them, try and do your best by all means, but it certainly isn't the end of the world if you do 'badly'. 

3 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Better man than I. I failed int2 maths in 4th year; best maths grade I have to my name is a 4 at Standard Grade General. Funnily enough; my job involves statistical analysis, go figure eh? emoji23.png

That only tells half the story. I got a 2/3 (overall 2) in Standard Grade, so got to do the Higher. I've never felt so out of my depth in a class so, like some sort of Maths version of Cameron Jerome, I stepped down to Int.2, got a teacher who knew exactly how I worked, and scooshed it.

See the thing about Maths, I love stats and things like that - practical maths with money, percentages all that sort of thing. I just couldn't bring myself to be in anyway interested in finding the equation of a line, or a perpendicular bisector (I mean, honest to Christ, what is that?)

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I look back at exams now and piss myself laughing that I ever gave a f**k.  Complete waste of time.

Depends whether you pass them or not, and what you do with them thereafter.

(Sent from my 31st floor private office with park views.)

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That only tells half the story. I got a 2/3 (overall 2) in Standard Grade, so got to do the Higher. I've never felt so out of my depth in a class so, like some sort of Maths version of Cameron Jerome, I stepped down to Int.2, got a teacher who knew exactly how I worked, and scooshed it.

See the thing about Maths, I love stats and things like that - practical maths with money, percentages all that sort of thing. I just couldn't bring myself to be in anyway interested in finding the equation of a line, or a perpendicular bisector (I mean, honest to Christ, what is that?)

Liz Hurley thread for that sort of innuendo...

I was okay with exams. I was clever enough to pass most them (think I only failed higher English and advanced higher business management) but didn’t really apply myself enough to get anything spectacular. Strangely proud of my B in higher History. Fucked around in the class a lot.

I’d say my biggest achievement was getting a 2 in standard grade chemistry. Even at the time, I could tell you absolutely f**k all about chemistry. No idea how I managed that. [emoji23]

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I remember them being quite bad, and then I also remember I'm defending my thesis next Tuesday and I've been stressed out for the best part of five years.