Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

People in higher income brackets are more likely to binge drink and more likely to consume alcohol.  Will increasing the price deter them?

Perhaps they won't be able to get into the habit when they're young.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

Because working class people can earn more than middle class people. Without owning a company, before you start.

f**k me that's circular logic. My point is that income and wealth define class, not culture or job description. Earning more puts a person in a higher socio-ecnomic group, ergo your working class person in that example is actually the middle class person. 

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

You didn’t but everyone else can understand when someone says that income is the first and primary definition of class that you can work out from there how students who are largely financially dependent on their parents are judged accordingly on that basis.

So there are other factors other than income.  That's pretty much what I was saying.

I didn't say anything about being supported by wealthy parents.  We've been told that income = class.  Students are therefore all working class.  QED.

It’s that level of analysis that’s missing from my Verso collection.

1 minute ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Tend to only really drink wine in the house.

If i'm i'm planning on stocking the fridge with lager for a BBQ, Christmas or whatever i'll travel the 25 mins down to Carlisle.

How much is that in petrol and how much will you save?

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

People in higher income brackets are more likely to binge drink and more likely to consume alcohol.  Will increasing the price deter them?

On the face of it, unlikely - depends how they binge I suppose. I wonder if it would push more people into pubs where they might in the long run consume less. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

f**k me that's circular logic. My point is that income and wealth define class, not culture or job description. Earning more puts a person in a higher socio-ecnomic group, ergo your working class person in that example is actually the middle class person. 

So brickies and plumbers are middle class in your definition and admin staff are working class.  That's what I said.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

So brickies and plumbers are middle class in your definition and admin staff are working class.  That's what I said.

Yes, because income and wealth define your socio-economic standing. Not your culture, job description or education, although all can be accelerating factors to earning more or less income.

11 minutes ago, renton said:

Yes, because income and wealth define your socio-economic standing. Not your culture, job description or education, although all can be accelerating factors to earning more or less income.

My point being your socio-economic standing doesn't define your class.  Either way, minimum pricing is still about saving lives not persecuting any particular class.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Why wouldn't a plumber be middle class? 

I made the point that it's a "traditionally" working class job but has a "middle class" income.  I'm trying to say that class has nothing to do with income.  In fact, while I do believe the rich are definitely exploiting the lower orders, I don't think class exists in the traditional sense at all.

5 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

My point being your socio-economic standing doesn't define your class.  Either way, minimum pricing is still about saving lives not persecuting any particular class.

Socio-economic standing is class.

Had a look at the booze when I was in Asda earlier and with the exception of Captain Morgan’s which has went up £1.50 everything I drink is the same so not bothered too much at the moment. My concern is I fully expect the minimum price of 50p to increase in the coming years.

From what I looked at the most notable price increase was your larger boxes of beer and cider, such as a 24 pack of Budweiser is now £16 something where it used to be £12. 

27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Why wouldn't a plumber be middle class? 

Apparently some people say that if you do any kind of manual labour at all then you are working class. 

Presumably that includes Formula 1 racing drivers as well as all those highly paid footballers and other sportsmen.

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Ok, please post the incomes that define working class, middle class and upper class, please.

Ok, based on the 7 class system developed here: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0038038513481128 then the average household incomes and household savings for each is the following:

Class: Income/savings

Elite: £89,082/142,458

Established middle class: £47, 184/26,090

Technical middle class: £37, 428/65,844

New affluent workers: £29, 252/4,918

Emergent service workers: £21,048/1,138

Traditional working class: £13, 305/9,500

Precariat: £8, 252/792

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Ok, based on the 7 class system developed here: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0038038513481128 then the average household incomes and household savings for each is the following:

Class: Income/savings

Elite: £89,082/142,458

Established middle class: £47, 184/26,090

Technical middle class: £37, 428/65,844

New affluent workers: £29, 252/4,918

Emergent service workers: £21,048/1,138

Traditional working class: £13, 305/9,500

Precariat: £8, 252/792

I've got loads of money but am spending it all on binge drinking.  Hopefully minimum alcohol pricing will see me reduce my outgoings and ascend to my rightful place in the Elite.