Arbroath v Dumbarton | Dumbarton v Arbroath | Championship Play Off Semi

First leg Wednesday at Gayfield, second leg Saturday afternoon through at the Rock.

I’m sure every fan will remember the last time we met in the play offs. Dumbarton fans for all the right reasons and ourselves for all the wrong reasons. Particularly painful considering we finished 2nd by a distance whilst 1st/3rd and 4th went up.

Dumbarton have since enjoyed some fantastic success whilst we’ve had our ups and downs.

Stephen Grindlay... thankfully he will not be playing. [emoji1]

Anyway. No idea how this will pan out, Dumbarton seem to have fallen to bits lately conceding a silly amount of goals. But as they have shown at times this season they can produce some fantastic results, maybe the recent form is purely down to them already knowing their fate and with nothing to really play for.

We found out what that can do the hard way on Saturday in the hiding at Hampden. Dumbarton have also been playing against some very good sides.

I would go;

Hutton

Ricky Little
Thomas O’Brien
Colin Hamilton

David Gold
Scott Martin
Mark Whatley
Gavin Swankie
Bobby Linn

Michael McKenna
Ryan Wallace

Dropping Denholm as he was so far off it on Saturday, could be a useful sub. David Gold will give us more defensively too.

All I hope for is to still be in the game come Saturday, not expecting much from these play offs. I think we have a very good side on our day that’s capable of getting through them, just hope we can deliver.

I’ll go for a sneaky Home win.

1-0 Arbroath.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I would go;

Hutton

Ricky Little
Thomas O’Brien
Colin Hamilton

David Gold
Scott Martin
Mark Whatley
Gavin Swankie
Bobby Linn

Michael McKenna
Ryan Wallace

Agree with that team aside from I'd have Denholm in for Gold. Denholm obviously offers us far more, and in big games like this I feel we simply have to play our best team.

Whatever happens, we simply cannot justify starting Omar ahead of Linn or Denholm. Saturday was yet another 45 minutes where Omar was absolutely miles off it. Over the last 3 months he's been utterly appalling, and he averages less than one cross into the box a game. I repeat, a winger who puts less than one cross into the box per game on average. Every player goes on a bad run of form, it doesn't make them a bad player and I do like Omar but he has been absolutely appalling in the last few months, absolutely stinking games in the vast majority and zero contribution as a winger.

I feel like we simply have to start Denholm/ Linn. If either of them haven't beaten the opposition full back and put a cross into the box 3/4 times before the hour then I'd hook them. That's their game, and if they're not doing it then hook them and put Omar/ David Gold on (defensive minded wide midfielders rather than wingers), but for the love of god don't start the game defensively minded out wide with Omar or Gold who are both struggling massively for form.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Can Arbroath afford to go up?

:lol:

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Hopefully Craig Charleston isn’t the ref

I was just thinking about that actually. Everyone remembers Shay's Gadget Arms performance in the second leg, but nobody really mentions the fact that we were only 2-1 up because of a refereeing mistake.

A passback when (Mark Baxter?) sliced a clearance directly into the air :lol:

I was just thinking about that actually. Everyone remembers Shay's Gadget Arms performance in the second leg, but nobody really mentions the fact that we were only 2-1 up because of a refereeing mistake.
A passback when (Mark Baxter?) sliced a clearance directly into the air :lol:

I thought it was Kieran McAnespie. Either way it was a horrendous decision which cost us dearly

Just now, lichtie23 said:

I thought it was Kieran McAnespie. Either way it was a horrendous decision which cost us dearly

It could well have been. I'm sure it was on the right though, which made me think Baxter.

Hopefully it was McAnespie given he's now a Bankie :lol:

This should be in the Championship forum as it's the Championship play-off but I'll let you Smokies away with it because I quite like you.

All depends on who we have fit/not suspended really, but if rumours are to be believed we might be okay. I would like to see:

Gallacher

Smith -- Dowie -- Barr -- Dick

Hutton -- Carswell

Burt -- Froxylias -- Stirling

C. Gallagher

Controversially adding the SeaGall in there but that's purely down to his scoring record against lower division sides, he'll work hard too. Obviously if Stewart is fit and raring to go he should start up there but Gall probably isn't the worst to have up front for this game. I doubt we'll see Burt, Froxy and Stirling all start, but I think that's the best 3 we have available. Would take a 0-0 now and get back to our place still in the game.

Fair play to the club and the trust, they're trying manfully to put some positive spin across social media on what is a pretty miserable state of affairs. It's not difficult to fear the worst.

On the face of it we have a squad that should at least be able to compete in these playoffs but after 6 weeks of mounting evidence there's now real concern around what will happen if we endure a setback, concede an early goal etc. Are this group liable to fold completely?

With that in mind I'd go with a creative line-up and re-introduce the likes of Froxylias. I'd expect him to stand out much more against our fellow part-timers. Get some goals before the slump.

Were any of Arbroath's current squad around in 2012? They'll be looking to right a few wrongs I should imagine. 

This should be in the Championship forum as it's the Championship play-off but I'll let you Smokies away with it because I quite like you.
All depends on who we have fit/not suspended really, but if rumours are to be believed we might be okay. I would like to see:

Gallacher

Smith -- Dowie -- Barr -- Dick

Hutton -- Carswell

Burt -- Froxylias -- Stirling

C. Gallagher

Controversially adding the SeaGall in there but that's purely down to his scoring record against lower division sides, he'll work hard too. Obviously if Stewart is fit and raring to go he should start up there but Gall probably isn't the worst to have up front for this game. I doubt we'll see Burt, Froxy and Stirling all start, but I think that's the best 3 we have available. Would take a 0-0 now and get back to our place still in the game.

I'd go for similar. Is McLaughlin definitely out? If not I'd be tempted to shift Dick to right back and have him starting at left back.

My fear about the likes of Stewart and Froxy is that they've had such limited game time recently that they may be short of match sharpness.

I full expect Aitken to start with Handling and Walsh, two guys I'd have nowhere near a playoff battle.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd go for similar. Is McLaughlin definitely out? If not I'd be tempted to shift Dick to right back and have him starting at left back.

My fear about the likes of Stewart and Froxy is that they've had such limited game time recently that they may be short of match sharpness.

I full expect Aitken to start with Handling and Walsh, two guys I'd have nowhere near a playoff battle.

Not sure about McLaughlin, would do the same as you if he's available. Agree on Stewart and Froxy, but in the case of the latter, he's capable of pinging one in at any time, so in a knockout match he should be in the team. If Handling starts I'll cry.

Can Arbroath afford to go up?
Unsure what you mean?

From a financial point of view, if Arbroath were to go up, we would earn a minimum of £166k in prize money alone. Which is just more than double what he have recieved for finishing 4th in League 1 which was £81k.

If we dont go up then we have 6 home games against Montrose, Brechin and Forfar which will be a boost. But nowhere near as what we would get for being in the Championship. But we would have a good chance of challenging for the title though.

Big question is can Dumbarton afford to go down?

Fair play to the club and the trust, they're trying manfully to put some positive spin across social media on what is a pretty miserable state of affairs. It's not difficult to fear the worst.
On the face of it we have a squad that should at least be able to compete in these playoffs but after 6 weeks of mounting evidence there's now real concern around what will happen if we endure a setback, concede an early goal etc. Are this group liable to fold completely?
With that in mind I'd go with a creative line-up and re-introduce the likes of Froxylias. I'd expect him to stand out much more against our fellow part-timers. Get some goals before the slump.
Were any of Arbroath's current squad around in 2012? They'll be looking to right a few wrongs I should imagine. 

I think Swankie was with us before jumping ship to Forfar.

Nick Walsh in charge of this one, which seems as good a time as any to remind everyone on here that he described me as 'a role model to the class' in my 4th Year report.

Hope he remembers how good a pupil I was when he's thinking about any backpass decisions.

Archived