Stenhousemuir -vs- Queen's Park, Queen's Park -vs- Stenhousemuir

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's had Galt at right back a couple of times this season. It's never worked out well ...  I suppose looking at the substitutes available options were limited. Overall a disappointing end to a disappointing season with a very disjointed performance this afternoon. Brady was much missed  in what turned out to be a poor midfield. Well done Stenny, you deserved the win.

Hope Millen is ok, he took a sore one.

There wasn't much between the teams at all, but I agree that Stenny wanted it more, in fact we looked very tired. We were not really in with a shout of getting past Peterhead, and I'd be very surprised if Stenhousemuir do. QP MOTM for me was McLauchlan, and hope we can hold on to him. It's disappointing to go out on a poor display but it's not lack of commitment, effort or desire throughout the season, and you can see that from the post match interview with Sean Burns. Our defence has been in development or makeshift all season and the loss of McGeever, Berry and McKernon was a bigger blow than I imagined.

I expect there will be a big debate about Gus now. I can see the argument about certain decisions, but he has a level of knowledge and experience that isn't easy to find in League 2. Whoever has to build a team over the close season will be drawing from their contacts and the same pool from the juniors....which is a total lottery.

30 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Hope Millen is ok, he took a sore one.

There wasn't much between the teams at all, but I agree that Stenny wanted it more, in fact we looked very tired. We were not really in with a shout of getting past Peterhead, and I'd be very surprised if Stenhousemuir do. QP MOTM for me was McLauchlan, and hope we can hold on to him. It's disappointing to go out on a poor display but it's not lack of commitment, effort or desire throughout the season, and you can see that from the post match interview with Sean Burns. Our defence has been in development or makeshift all season and the loss of McGeever, Berry and McKernon was a bigger blow than I imagined.

I expect there will be a big debate about Gus now. I can see the argument about certain decisions, but he has a level of knowledge and experience that isn't easy to find in League 2. Whoever has to build a team over the close season will be drawing from their contacts and the same pool from the juniors....which is a total lottery.

Ok, i'll agree that Peterhead will go into the tie as favourites but why would you be "very surprised" if we beat them given the fact we've been victorious 3 times already this season? 

12 minutes ago, Sarge Bullman said:

Ok, i'll agree that Peterhead will go into the tie as favourites but why would you be "very surprised" if we beat them given the fact we've been victorious 3 times already this season? 

Really only on the strength of a 22 points difference in league position and a goal differential of 31.

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Sadly, his decision to replace Millen with Galt snatched hope away. Nimmo on to centre back, Burns to right, Gibson left. Positions they are all familiar with and they all think like defenders.

Yep, it was a change that occurred to me too. I can only think Gus didn't want to disrupt the Gibson / McLaughlin centre back pairing, but the result was a total failure to bother the Stenny defence for the rest of the game. As I said - Galt at right back has never worked before, so I have no idea why Gus thought it would do the biz  this afternoon.

Deserved to go down after that second half. It was like everyone ran out of steam. Apart from Gerry and Gibby who did the best they could 

All the best Stennie, better team won 

Raw emotion from Sean. Fair play to him doing the TV right after the game. He was one of just a few who applauded the fans after the game.

Here's the highlights. I've frozen it four times now for the second goal. Striker was offside.

Excellent quality on those highlights. I’ve watched the last goal 4 times as well. What a run from Paton and what a finish from McGuigan.

Football is a pretty simple game. We let in far too many and didn’t score enough. The league table tells no lies. If you win two out of eighteen at home in the league, you’re probably going down. We got what we deserved in the playoff as well. 

Losing McGeever and McKernon was a bigger blow than I had anticipated. We lacked leadership and dig. However, given our status, it’s difficult to find guys who’ll come in ready for this level without wanting a couple of quid. Most, if not all, of our central defenders either weren’t good enough, aren’t ready or are injury prone.

It should be a touch easier to recruit next season. The jump from junior to League Two is manageable, whereas I’m not sure the jump from junior to League One is manageable for most. There’s also not that many players I’d let go. We’ve done ok in spells, but the moments of absolute stupidity have killed us.

In terms of the manager, the criteria for next year is firstly to stay as far away fron the trap door as possible and then think about the top four. We have a manager whose record in League Two in his two full seasons is 2nd (playoff final loss), 4th (promotion.) Are we going to find anyone with better experience or a better record? It’s unlikely. We’re also in a situation where the club really doesn’t need to be taking any risks. If Gus is to leave at this point, the only person making that decision should be him.

9 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

If Gus is to leave at this point, the only person making that decision should be him.

Here's hoping...

Be careful what you wish for. Players will have been scouted all season and are probably lined up. A new guy would come in, having laid no groundwork and probably half a squad to play with. Not difficult for that to go horrendously wrong. 

4 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Based on that line of thinking looks like we're stuck with Gus for good?

No. If things are going horrifically, things will need to change. Being relegated from League One, whilst being disappointing, is not wholly unexpected and would only be a sackable offence if we did a Brechin City or something close to it. We'll be relegated if we're promoted again as well, whether it's Gus in charge or whether it's someone else.  If next season isn't a good one, then we probably part ways. This will be his fifth full season, which is pretty long serving in the modern game. Everyone does have a shelf life, but I think it'd be borderline madness to get rid of him now. It's a risk we don't have to take, particularly when there's a manager in the dugout with an excellent record in the division.

On 05/05/2018 at 22:12, Velvet Donkey said:

We'll take Gus if you're finished with him.

Archived