The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

15 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

That guy is mental, not the first time he's went on a signing binge. Meth is a hell of a drug.

I've not even looked at SRE but I'm guessing that it's Ally Morrison? Guys a total lunatic.

1 hour ago, sjc said:

15 hours ago, somerset_lad said:

Thats never a good idea

A massive overhaul means that the squad needs time to gel and also means you’re taking longer trying to find loads of players that are good enough.

When Dunfermline, Morton and Livi went up not every single player was Championship standard. They didn’t overhaul the squad. They made key changes and over time they have made changes.

That’s what we need to be doing.

Aye, and we were fucking shite until we started to overhaul the squad, we weren't far away from you lot last Christmas. 

There's evidently allot of sentiment going on in this thread, your squad, and in particular your defence, needs a massive overhaul. Moffat and Shankland would be fine at championship level, not sure about your midfield though. Crawford has been absolutely dug meat everytime I've watched him, has he improved massively? 

Edited by Grant228

I know it sounds heartless, but I would rather we started preparing for next season as soon as possible. We don't want to end up chasing the players no-one else wants again.

Yeah same

I’d expect a list of players we’re releasing out maybe this week. Good thing is I can’t see McCall taking much of a break and will have an idea of who he wants to bring in straightaway.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Have to disagree, Clubs have all ready started announcing who will stay and go. We need to be quick off the mark to give us the best possible chance of having a successful season.

Well that's fair enough, but I'll let McCall worry about it. Saturday night was unbelievable and when I was walking down Ayr High Street in the sunshine on my lunch break, I still felt on top of the world, definitely wasn't agonising over next season's defence. Not ready to move on yet.  Champions.

ayr

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I know it sounds heartless, but I would rather we started preparing for next season as soon as possible. We don't want to end up chasing the players no-one else wants again.

It’s not heartless, it’s spot on. We need 6-10 players to have any kind of chance at survival and that’s just fact. I love this squad to bits for what they’ve achieved but as hard as it is, you can’t let sentiment cloud your objectives. 

That doesn’t mean however I want every one of them gone, we need to keep some kind of continuity and build from there.

I think that often the step from League 1 to Championship can be underestimated. It’s colossal. 

14 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

It’s not heartless, it’s spot on. We need 6-10 players to have any kind of chance at survival and that’s just fact. I love this squad to bits for what they’ve achieved but as hard as it is, you can’t let sentiment cloud your objectives. 

That doesn’t mean however I want every one of them gone, we need to keep some kind of continuity and build from there.

I think that often the step from League 1 to Championship can be underestimated. It’s colossal. 

I love this squad but there's no room for sentiment in football. IMO we need at least a LB, two CBs, a RB, at least one new CM, a winger and a keeper.

I'd definitely keep:

Rose

McDaid

Shankland

Hart (but NOT as first choice keeper!)

Moore

Forrest

Crawford

Docherty (if he can stay injury free)

Moff, Adams, Bell and Geggan stay as squad players for their versatility.

Everyone else goodbye and good luck!

Was it him last year who was suggesting we re-sign Graeme Brown?
The same Graeme Brown who only scored two goals for us nearly 15 years ago. 
The same Graeme Brown who is retired and currently is a lawyer.

Would do a job imo

I'd like our starting 11/Bench to resemble something like this next season:

New GK

Geggan

Rose

New CB

New LB

McDaid

New CM

New CM

Crawford

Moffat

Shankland

Subs:- Hart, Reid, Higgins, Bell, Kerr, Forrest, Moore

Just seen that St Mirren have released Josh Todd.

Was he not on McCalls radar the last time we got promoted but went to Dumbarton?

Some St Mirren fans seem surprised to see him go and think he was a pretty decent player.

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Looking at the average attendances from last season we should really be looking to beat Morton and sit around sixth - giving us a much better chance of survival if our budget is better.
IMG_0184.jpg

Take away our two games with them and that average will be down to 1684 - happy to help!

Edited by btb

I love this squad but there's no room for sentiment in football. IMO we need at least a LB, two CBs, a RB, at least one new CM, a winger and a keeper.
I'd definitely keep:
Rose
McDaid
Shankland
Hart (but NOT as first choice keeper!)
Moore
Forrest
Crawford
Docherty (if he can stay injury free)
Moff, Adams, Bell and Geggan stay as squad players for their versatility.
Everyone else goodbye and good luck!

You're an ayr fan and you're saying there's no place for sentiment? Read the chairman's message again and see if there's no room for sentiment.

Don't be so daft.

Yes there's a big difference between the leagues and yes we need to strengthen but players are not robots. They perform differently in different teams.