Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

Sat in pub. Finished my paper. Might as well start this.

We will (probably) lose 3 top performers from a crap season. Notman has retired, (presumably before his knees cave in). Rumours of him going to Edinburgh as coach will be interesting as he tries to polish Pat Scullion.

Mcrorie surely won't be back and although the gaffer will try and get Hamilton back again from Livi, surely that is unlikely.

The positive news is of the emergence of a young but very promising defence. Brennan looks much more confident in goal, and a back 5 of Cook, Fleming, Wilson, Todd, and Orru is something to hang on to. Todd and Orru in particular have leaped forward this season. Maybe the addition of a tad more experience, and the defence is kinda sorted.

Midfield and attack are big problems. O'Kane, Willis,  Phillips and Lavery need some quality around them. Even with Notty it is seriously iffy and creates shag all. Up front, if Hamilton goes and Ouzy See doesn't make a miraculous recovery, we need a whole new strike force.

Despite another feeble season, there is some promise in our youngsters they just need a bit of experience and on-the-ball quality around them.

The only ones I would be happy to say goodbye to are Stewart, Murrell, Thomson and Fairbairn.

• 2 weeks later...

Quiet off-season, really nothing much to report. The result of Cowden - Cove might set some things in motion, but I've faith in Horn to assemble a squad that can match this season's result (and I would be very satisfied with 8th place in 18/19).

I do have a wishlist though, which has just a single item on it; give Lavery a contract for life. Absolute ledge. Also looking forward to seeing some new kitty released by the club and Football Nation. I nagged for a nice green away top last year, would be brilliant to see it happen this year.

11 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Quiet off-season, really nothing much to report. The result of Cowden - Cove might set some things in motion, but I've faith in Horn to assemble a squad that can match this season's result (I would be very satisfied with 8th place in 18/19).

I do have a wishlist though, which has just a single item on it; give Lavery a contract for life. Absolute ledge. Also looking forward to seeing some new kitty released by the club and Football Nation. I nagged for a nice green away top last year, would be brilliant to see it happen this year.

This post sums up everything that is wrong with our club

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

This post sums up everything that is wrong with our club

So negative, , the lad is entitled to say what he wants, as are you, now go find a happy space somewhere, you're becoming a right grump

Wasn't that long ago when we'd only be "very satisfied "with finishing in the play offs as a minimum.As Btu says it sums up everything about us at the moment. Onwards and upwards...Hopefully.

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Maybe so. I'd describe being 'very satisifed' with 8th as pretty negative, too. 

Wih the trapdoor in place, do you honestly think we would return at the first time of asking if we drop out of the league? There's no way, which makes me very thankful for 8th. There's much work to be done off the pitch, and before the club is in a better place, anything but last place works for me.

The Berwick Booze Cruise, has a nice wee ring to it - maybe the Rangers can make a bit of money here by transporting cheap booze over the border and selling it on outside the grounds. The Clyde players would lap it up for one.

18 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

I would be very satisfied with 8th place in 18/19.

Dutch auto-correct bizarrely turning "absolutely fecking raging" into "very satisfied"

Surprised that we still haven't heard who is to be released.

Wih the trapdoor in place, do you honestly think we would return at the first time of asking if we drop out of the league? There's no way, which makes me very thankful for 8th. There's much work to be done off the pitch, and before the club is in a better place, anything but last place works for me.
[emoji38]

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

Dutch auto-correct bizarrely turning "absolutely fecking raging" into "very satisfied"

Surprised that we still haven't heard who is to be released.

We'll see, I'm simply expecting another shite season. Once news of retained and freshly-brought in players starts to trickle in I might see more reason to be optimistic.

Just announced. The obvious departures of loanees Mcrorie, Hamilton and Petkov, plus  the retirees of Notman and Fairbairn.

3 others going are Tommo, Mackinlay and Simpson. I guess that means others will be already on contract or will be offered terms.

We have the basis of a good young squad, but there needs to be some genuine quality in new signings.

49 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

We'll see, I'm simply expecting another shite season. Once news of retained and freshly-brought in players starts to trickle in I might see more reason to be optimistic.

Fair enough. Another 8th though will mean further failure. Not sure my liver would cope.

To the person above who said you would be happy right now with 8th next season, deary me. 

It’s a league of so little quality, at least aim a bit higher ffs.

Anyway you are signing or have signed the big strong centre mid from LTHV. He’s regarded as 1 of if not their best player.