Alloa vs Raith Rovers

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a struggle to get any enthusiasm for this one. Will hopefully change by Wednesday. Not much between the two teams and think the tie will be settled by just a goal.

Hopefully Smith has realised that shelling the ball 70 yards to two 5 foot 9 strikers doesn’t work. Also, when a team is compact and organised you stretch them and make the pitch as wide as possible to drag them out of position. Not play 2 wingers on their ‘wrong’ side so they continually cut into the heavy traffic and make the play ridiculously narrow. 

Dont think Alloa will be as defensive as yesterday but not sure that’s real positive for us. Although their overall mentality was a bit defensive they still created as many good chances as we did. With a more attacking mentality I think they can hurt us. 

Would settle for a 0-0 on Wednesday but wouldn’t be surprised to lose. The thought of going up to the Championship with Smith in charge and a lot of these players is not something I’d look forward to.

I think it’s slightly unfair to say yesterday’s 0-0 was anything like the dire game in January. Both teams hit the woodwork a few times and had efforts cleared off the line.

We’ll see a very different Alloa on Wednesday night. They know they can frustrate us at home so they’ll go for goals I think. A draw isn’t a terrible result, especially with our general away record.

Can’t be arsed at all with it though, and I have absolutely no belief whatsoever we’ll get through this tie. I’d love to make sweeping changes after yesterday but the only one that’s absolutely obvious is Furtado into the team, and Zanatta surely can’t start. Spence, Bene, Matthews, Herron? Not convinced they’re much better than the alternatives.

Funny thing is if Alloa had just lost to Ayr last week I’d be very confident....

I’ve never been confident of a rovers victory in any match I’ve been to for the last 10 years.

Well apart from East Fife..

Not sure I’ll make any of the play-off games. See if the club wrote a letter to the SPFL and Alloa to just let Alloa go through, I wouldn’t even be that bothered..

How has anybody not beaten us In the league at home in 26 matches? It’s ridiculous actually.

Last season and this season have just been utter, utter meh. 

All we had to do yesterday was score one fucking goal. The way the game was going that would have been enough. To even have that chance was a joke really. 

If they do go up via the playoffs I’ll of course be happy with it, but really can’t be arsed. As long as the players don’t have the same attitude as me.... :lol: 

I think it’s slightly unfair to say yesterday’s 0-0 was anything like the dire game in January. Both teams hit the woodwork a few times and had efforts cleared off the line.

We’ll see a very different Alloa on Wednesday night. They know they can frustrate us at home so they’ll go for goals I think. A draw isn’t a terrible result, especially with our general away record.

Can’t be arsed at all with it though, and I have absolutely no belief whatsoever we’ll get through this tie. I’d love to make sweeping changes after yesterday but the only one that’s absolutely obvious is Furtado into the team, and Zanatta surely can’t start. Spence, Bene, Matthews, Herron? Not convinced they’re much better than the alternatives.

Funny thing is if Alloa had just lost to Ayr last week I’d be very confident....

That game yesterday was fucking awful. It was no better than the awful 0-0 draw I sat through in January. Only the weather was better. Anyone who says different has spent so much time watching dreadful lower league football that they’ve become inured to it.

8 hours ago, Oor Willis said:

How depressingly Rovers would it be for us to actually win this game, after needing to get a win for the league title last Saturday? 

It's a bit of a no win situation in a strange way. If we lose then we're going to be doomed to another season in league 1, while if we win everyone will say "why couldn't you do that last week!"

Absolutely must get it back to Starks with at minimum a draw. I don’t think I could sit through another 90 mins of watching us fail to break Alloa down. God knows how Smith picks the players up after Saturday, they looked completely broken at full time. Benedictus back in, Murray to full back, Furtado up front with Buchanan and Vaughan wide in place of Zanatta.

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Absolutely must get it back to Starks with at minimum a draw. I don’t think I could sit through another 90 mins of watching us fail to break Alloa down. God knows how Smith picks the players up after Saturday, they looked completely broken at full time. Benedictus back in, Murray to full back, Furtado up front with Buchanan and Vaughan wide in place of Zanatta.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Benedictus isn't the player he was (yet) and Wednesday isn't the time for his return. Besides, McHattie was okay at full back and the defence in general did fine. It's further forward that our problems lie so I'd punt Barr and Zanatta and add Herron or Matthews to midfield. I agree in playing Vaughan out wide and Furtado up front but I'd play Court before Buchanan simply because he's bigger and stronger.

Alloa will likely come out and try to get the goal(s) that they need knowing that they can park the bus at Starks. That might be what we need in all honesty. If they come out and play that it does at least open the game up which will allow us to play a little bit of football.

The 2 away games against them this season are completely different to one off games like this. If they frustrate us in the league games and get something from the game then they'll have taken that. Wednesday night is a game that they know they have to go for us or run the risk of keeping it tight and losing a goal and then having to chase.

I'm not overly concerned about this game but then again I'm not overly bothered about it either.

Alloa were excellent against Ayr and really took the game to them. I'm  also not convinced the two disallowed goals were correctly disallowed, and so 2-1 was the least Alloa deserved out that. 

No reason to suspect they'll sit in here - they get a lead heading back to Starks they know they can keep us at bay and stand a great chance of going through. 

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

No reason to suspect they'll sit in here - they get a lead heading back to Starks they know they can keep us at bay and stand a great chance of going through. 

They sat in on Saturday when they were already in the playoffs. 

If they bring any kind of lead to Stark's we'll get a repeat of the two lines of 5. 

Even if we're level for the second game I still wouldn't fancy them to have a go. 

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Alloa shitfest their way to two draws and take their chances with penalties. 

I doubt Smith is Savvy enough to even to have them practicing spot kicks just in case.

Most of these guys bottled it last season against Brechin, they bottled it this season at Somerset,  bottled it again at Arbroath, bottled it against Alloa on Sat, so what real evidence is there for a different outcome in the next 2 games?

Too nervy and canny handle the pressure.

Archived