Thistle v County

1 hour ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

A disproportionate amount of St Johnstone fans wishing ill upon Partick Thistle. Very odd.

You'll find it was completely a Partick driven thing.  If you look at any of the threads where we got papped out of Europe over the past couple of seasons, there were more Thistle fans than anyone else lapping it up. Then in mid-season, when we went months without a win and looked to be in freefall towards a play-off place, again it was our friends from Maryhill who were all over the Saints threads revelling in it. Like Dundee, they only take any interest in us when we're struggling. Apparently we're irrelevant when we're doing well :)

Previously I'd never known Saints fans have any particular emotion towards Thistle either way.

Poor result for both teams tonight, felt either had to get a win to stand a chance of pulling clear.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felt thistle were there for the taking tonight. Actually disappointed not to win. Will be raging if (when) we end up in different divisions next year tho because inn deep followed by the woody might be the best away day in the country. 

You'll find it was completely a Partick driven thing.  If you look at any of the threads where we got papped out of Europe over the past couple of seasons, there were more Thistle fans than anyone else lapping it up. Then in mid-season, when we went months without a win and looked to be in freefall towards a play-off place, again it was our friends from Maryhill who were all over the Saints threads revelling in it. Like Dundee, they only take any interest in us when we're struggling. Apparently we're irrelevant when we're doing well [emoji4]
Previously I'd never known Saints fans have any particular emotion towards Thistle either way.

Poor result for both teams tonight, felt either had to get a win to stand a chance of pulling clear.

Or when we pumped you 3 0 in cup.
Such a meh team you are

Well that’s us blown 10th, which we’d have had a decent chance of with a win today. Given the standard of performance we’ve been putting in all season and in these post split games, it would’ve been an absolute piss-take if we’d pulled that off anyway.

The game itself was a dirge, the referee having to blow for a foul about once a minute and, besides our goal, only really scrambles from set pieces to talk about. The worry is that I definitely don’t come away thinking we’re better than County. Of all the teams I’ve seen this season, we’re still comfortably the worst. Obviously they’d rather be in our position now but I really have no confidence in us to make the advantage count.

And best of all, it looks like we’ll be relying on a back 4 of McGinn, Devine, Barton and Elliott to keep us up. Kill me.

We deserve to be relegated purely because our fans decided it was appropriate to air a chorus of ‘Alan Archibald’, five minutes before the end of a game where we had just been bodied by the worst team in the league for the best part of an hour.

We have a loser manager, we’re run by losers and we’re supported by losers.

I don’t blame the Perthtards for laughing at us.

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

Well that’s us blown 10th, which we’d have had a decent chance of with a win today. Given the standard of performance we’ve been putting in all season and in these post split games, it would’ve been an absolute piss-take if we’d pulled that off anyway.

The game itself was a dirge, the referee having to blow for a foul about once a minute and, besides our goal, only really scrambles from set pieces to talk about. The worry is that I definitely don’t come away thinking we’re better than County. Of all the teams I’ve seen this season, we’re still comfortably the worst. Obviously they’d rather be in our position now but I really have no confidence in us to make the advantage count.

And best of all, it looks like we’ll be relying on a back 4 of McGinn, Devine, Barton and Elliott to keep us up. Kill me.

I don’t know about that - you must be pretty strong in the belief that you’re better than us. You’ve ridden us mercilessly 3 times and the game we did actually win I seem to remember leaving the ground thinking we’d been pretty lucky. 

I’ve not seen much of Thistle outside of the games against us (I’ve been to all 5 this season) but I struggle to comprehend that your 9 points behind us on the basis of how well you’ve played against us and how poorly we have faired in the matches. Admittedly you looked pretty poor tonight. 

Taking Ryan Edwards off last night was possibly the worst decision in management history!! 

Thenn. 

Thenn he takes off Doolan when we need a goal. 

Spittal has talent but he’s far too fucking slow!!!

Storey is some one I’d like to repeatedly hit on the head with an Iron. He’s fucking rank rotten

f**k off Archie .. thanks

8 hours ago, tintax said:

That's us gone. Desperately poor again. Same shite tactics and play going forward. 

Don't give up yet.  Keep the faith until Tuesday night at least :)

What’s happened to Thistle? You were brilliant last season and now with more or less the same squad, you’ve turned to utter dung.  Was Liam Lindsay the sole reason for last seasons performances? 

You’re doing an ICT; comfortable to Championship in a season.  The worrying thing is that you don’t lose 1-2 players to Aberdeen a season like we do. 

Christ knows what’s happened to Storey too.  He had the cigars out in 15/16 for us.

6 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

Chris Sutton is an uber-WUM, everyone knows this.

But he's also often correct. A must-win game for Ross and well, not good enough. Also predicted Jags into play-off and I'm going with that.

See when it's neither half of the old firm, and it's not you're own team involved, I think the BT coverage of Scottish football is great. The panel are a hundred times more interesting than the bland pish you get for other matches, I.e. Lampard, Ferdinand and Steve Gerrard.  I like the way they try to be positive about our game.

Agree with you on what Sutton said, County had to throw everything at that as a draw was no good at all. It was as if both teams had an eye on the safety net of the play-offs and not losing was the priority, rather than trying to catch tenth and pull clear altogether.  Understandable I suppose.

All momentum was lost after Edwards' needless booking. We'd been snapping into tackles up until that point, but were toothless afterwards.

Piss poor from us last night. First 20 minutes we had the better of the game without really doing anything. Erskine was terrific though. After we got the goal, we did the usual sit back and let’s try not to concede routine (which has obviously worked so many times before) and County getting the goal just before half time was suicide. Second half was just atrocious. Created absolutely nothing until the last 5-10 minutes.

Archie’s substitutions were baffling. Perhaps Doolan wasn’t fit enough to play 90 minutes, but moving Storey out wide instead of staying with 2 up front when we were needing to win the game was stupid as f**k. Edwards being taken off, despite being one of our better players, was also unreal. Elliott had the worst game I’d seen him have in a long, long time, and Sammon was awful as well. Danny Devine was Danny Devine, and the sooner he gets to f**k, the better. I’ve never known a footballer who is so unable to kick a football properly. If he gets a new contract next season, regardless of what league we’re in, Archie needs sectioned.

A point doesn’t really do anything for us except consign is to 11th at best, which is far more than we deserve this season. These next two (four if we’re lucky) games are going to be a slog.

County will rightly feel pissed off not to have won that in the end. Decent enough fist half then utterly shite in the second from us. So many shite players in that team that need to get to f**k starting with Miles Storey who is an absolute imposter. Closely followed by Spittal, Devine and Barton. And of course the manager.

If he gets a new contract next season, regardless of what league we’re in, Archie needs sectioned.

We’re not seriously contemplating that he’ll still be around to concern himself with such matters, are we?

Survive or not, we need a change of manager IMO.

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

I don’t know about that - you must be pretty strong in the belief that you’re better than us. You’ve ridden us mercilessly 3 times and the game we did actually win I seem to remember leaving the ground thinking we’d been pretty lucky. 

I’ve not seen much of Thistle outside of the games against us (I’ve been to all 5 this season) but I struggle to comprehend that your 9 points behind us on the basis of how well you’ve played against us and how poorly we have faired in the matches. Admittedly you looked pretty poor tonight. 

We just match up well against St Johnstone for some reason. Whether it’s the players or Archibald just getting the better of Wright, it’s just something that seems to have been the way for the last 3 years.

I wish we had more teams we could unexplainably beat regardless of how good they are and how shite we are.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

What’s happened to Thistle? You were brilliant last season and now with more or less the same squad, you’ve turned to utter dung.  Was Liam Lindsay the sole reason for last seasons performances? 

You’re doing an ICT; comfortable to Championship in a season.  The worrying thing is that you don’t lose 1-2 players to Aberdeen a season like we do. 

Christ knows what’s happened to Storey too.  He had the cigars out in 15/16 for us.

Very good questions.

Lindsay was, with hindsight, a bigger loss than the management anticipated. He has just been voted Barnsley POTY by his fellow players. In a team strugling to stay in their league, that's quite an accolade.

We started the season the way we ended last season, badly. A depleted squad due to long term injuries. Management put all their eggs into the 'wait until the players are fit' basket and failed to strengthen significantly. This was disastrous. We went most of the season without playing the same team in two consecutive games. Square pegs in round holes on many occasions.

We have relied too heavily on ageing players. Doolan and Erskine have been great but are coming to an end. Management have failed to bring players in who might begin to replace them.

Poor signings year on year by the management.

If you do a word count on this post, you might find the root cause of our problems. Management.

21 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I wish we had more teams we could unexplainably beat regardless of how good they are and how shite we are.

Still, you've got us on Tuesday night. Thistle's record against Motherwell at Firhill is stupidly good. 5 games played 4 wins and a draw.

The 5-1 in 2014 was the last time we won there I think?

Watched the game on BT last night and thought Thistle were fairly comfortable and it was a lovely goal from Erskine. County's equaliser was absolutely criminal. After that Thistle's bottle just seemed to collectively crash.

Seems funny to say this seeing as we finished in the top 6, but, there were large parts of last season when I felt we were anything but brilliant to be honest.

Don’t know if it was tainted by the amount of times we threw away points (something we still haven’t addressed) or just that some of the football in general wasn’t the best.

14 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Very good questions.

Lindsay was, with hindsight, a bigger loss than the management anticipated. He has just been voted Barnsley POTY by his fellow players. In a team strugling to stay in their league, that's quite an accolade.

We started the season the way we ended last season, badly. A depleted squad due to long term injuries. Management put all their eggs into the 'wait until the players are fit' basket and failed to strengthen significantly. This was disastrous. We went most of the season without playing the same team in two consecutive games. Square pegs in round holes on many occasions.

We have relied too heavily on ageing players. Doolan and Erskine have been great but are coming to an end. Management have failed to bring players in who might begin to replace them.

Poor signings year on year by the management.

If you do a word count on this post, you might find the root cause of our problems. Management.

I responded to a similar question on Twitter and I ran out of characters before I knew it. 

It seems to be a buzzword in the sports media recently but we lack character throughout the team. Everybody seems too nice. Oh for a headbanger and a couple of proper hard bastirts...

Osman fading away with a whimper has compounded the loss of Lindsay. 

Constant chopping and changing of the lineup is a sign the manager still doesn’t know his best eleven. 

We've had about six different right backs so Im not too surprised at Keown’s drop off in form.

We were warned about Danny Devine...

Last night was yet another example of playing well enough in one half then totally dropping off in the next one.

I could go on...

Archived