Dunfermline v Dundee United | Dundee United v Dunfermline

United definitely the favourites, but would hardly be a huge upset if we won. Both teams will want to avoid extra time/penalties, given one of us will have to go again on Monday.

Hopefully we’ll get another competitive game. Although, Willie Collum usually likes to be the headline, when it comes to big games.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

If you are assuming that Laszlo will stick to a 4231 then Friday's team for me should be -

Mehmet

Ralston

Murdoch

Mohsni

Robson

Stanton

Flood

McMullan

Fraser

King

McDonald

More than a few below par performances last night but on paper this team, if it turns up, has enough to win the tie. The 'turning up' is the difficult bit. 

Spot on team selection.

My prediction is a hard fought win for United by the odd goal over 90 mins on Friday, followed by us being too knackered to play again on Monday thus getting pumped by a well rested and injury free Livi team.

Can’t fucking wait.....:unsure2:

Just now, MacArab said:

My prediction is a hard fought win for United by the odd goal over 90 mins on Friday, followed by us being too knackered to play again on Monday thus getting pumped by a well rested and injury free Livi team.

Can’t fucking wait.....:unsure2:

One can only hope.:thumsup2

Love how many people who've commented haven't kept themselves up to date on the rules.

The automatic red card for 'Denying a goalscoring opportunity' was written out of the rules nearly two years ago (summer 2016) by IFAB and UEFA. Unless it's for an intentional handball or what would be considered a professional foul (cynical challenge with no attempt to get the ball) then it's not a red card, and should be treated as a foul would be anywhere else on the park, removing the clumsy judgement of most referees of what a goalscoring opportunity is.

Looking at the replay both Ashcroft and McDonald are attempting to get the ball, and (in my opinion) McDonald tries to use his short stature to get in underneath and draw the foul when he realises he's not getting the ball. Ashcroft's arm comes across him but there's no intent and certainly no elbow so I wouldn't say it qualifies for a red under violent conduct either. Even if the foul is given (which is debatable),  the distance from goal would have negated the 'DOGSO' argument anyway.

Problem here is the referees nowadays haven't a clue of the rules themselves, and Madden isn't exactly known for being consistent.

7 minutes ago, JimmyMirren said:

Love how many people who've commented haven't kept themselves up to date on the rules.

The automatic red card for 'Denying a goalscoring opportunity' was written out of the rules nearly two years ago (summer 2016) by IFAB and UEFA. Unless it's for an intentional handball or what would be considered a professional foul (cynical challenge with no attempt to get the ball) then it's not a red card, and should be treated as a foul would be anywhere else on the park, removing the clumsy judgement of most referees of what a goalscoring opportunity is.

Looking at the replay both Ashcroft and McDonald are attempting to get the ball, and (in my opinion) McDonald tries to use his short stature to get in underneath and draw the foul when he realises he's not getting the ball. Ashcroft's arm comes across him but there's no intent and certainly no elbow so I wouldn't say it qualifies for a red under violent conduct either. Even if the foul is given (which is debatable),  the distance from goal would have negated the 'DOGSO' argument anyway.

Problem here is the referees nowadays haven't a clue of the rules themselves, and Madden isn't exactly known for being consistent.

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • spitting at an opponent or any other person
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
  • receiving a second caution in the same match

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

A player, sent off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee's permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence

The following must be considered:

• distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders

The change applies to incidents inside the box, where a penalty would be awarded.

The change applies to incidents inside the box, where a penalty would be awarded.
Thought about posting that myself then decided to wait until Skyline Drifter bodied him.
Yours is sufficient tho.

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I think you should double check that...

Denying a goalscoring opportunity anywhere on the park is NOT an automatic red card... the offence should be taken on it's merits but the position on the park and whether its a goalscoring opportunity or not shouldn't be taken into consideration. What you've quoted is  the 'Triple punishment' clause instead, which stopped a team effectively being punished three times for an offence in the box, with the penalty, the red, and the suspension. 

12 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)

In theory what you've quoted implies that any foul where the player is moving in the general direction of goal should be instantly red carded, in which case Moshni wouldn't have lasted longer than ten minutes on the park, and Willo Flood would be in a permanent state of suspension til the day he retires. 

Out of interest, which rule book did you quote from...the same one Jim McLean used to slap journos with?

2 minutes ago, Weegie Arab said:

It is the most disunited and uninspired huddle ever, why even bother!? 

Providing the players can hear each other who says you need to link arms? Easier to converse the way the players have done it without the need to do a "Celtic Huddle". 

21 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Scott McDonald should've rolled about and held his face a bit more after that horrific assault IMO. 

I was thinking that myself when I watched the highlights. I think it is a red card by the letter of the law but what a laughable reaction from MacDonald rolling about holding his face as if he'd received a People's Elbow to the chops.

Providing the players can hear each other who says you need to link arms? Easier to converse the way the players have done it without the need to do a "Celtic Huddle". 

Just think it gives off the wrong impression and looks uninspiring. I can see why fans aren’t happy, looked awkward from the away end, bizarre.

JimmyMirren bringing shame to the Jimmy brand. 

As for the huddle, we haven't lost a single match since we started doing it. I'm not saying it's the sole reason for our unbeaten run, but it's the only reason we haven't lost a match. 

1 hour ago, JimmyMirren said:

I think you should double check that...

Denying a goalscoring opportunity anywhere on the park is NOT an automatic red card... the offence should be taken on it's merits but the position on the park and whether its a goalscoring opportunity or not shouldn't be taken into consideration. What you've quoted is  the 'Triple punishment' clause instead, which stopped a team effectively being punished three times for an offence in the box, with the penalty, the red, and the suspension. 

In theory what you've quoted implies that any foul where the player is moving in the general direction of goal should be instantly red carded, in which case Moshni wouldn't have lasted longer than ten minutes on the park, and Willo Flood would be in a permanent state of suspension til the day he retires. 

Out of interest, which rule book did you quote from...the same one Jim McLean used to slap journos with?

Straight out of the IFAB law book.

In theory, and in practice, what you have posted is bollocks.

Archived