Abortion  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 infants at 23 weeks, 4 died, 23 survived to discharge, 22 survived to 2 years of age, 11 had no moderate/severe disability.

60 infants at 24 weeks, 1 died, 40 survived to discharge, 36 survived to years of age, 23 had no moderate/severe disability.

None of those numbers would tell me to just give up on a 23 week old without a fight.

Edited by ayrmad

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

38 infants at 23 weeks, 4 died, 23 survived to discharge, 22 survived to 2 years of age, 11 had no moderate/severe disability.

None of those numbers would tell me to just give up on a 23 week old without a fight.

Could you share the source for those statistics, please?

Edited by Gaz

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

None of those numbers would tell me to just give up on a 23 week old without a fight.

And herein is where you've failed to grasp the point. Medical professionals don't just give up because statistics tell them to. They would look at the individual in question, assess on that basis, and make decisions from there. They don't simply say they aren't going to bother. How do you think the research was carried out? The fact the mortality rate isn't 100% should have been a big enough clue. 

1 minute ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

And herein is where you've failed to grasp the point. Medical professionals don't just give up because statistics tell them to. They would look at the individual in question, assess on that basis, and make decisions from there. They don't simply say they aren't going to bother. How do you think the research was carried out? The fact the mortality rate isn't 100% should have been a big enough clue. 

You've failed to grasp the point that you butted in about viability.

If we're putting it in the context of abortion then I don't agree that children are aborted at 24 weeks while babies can survive at 22 weeks, the cutoffs should be the same.

We've been here before, some kids being helped to live at 23 weeks and others left in a kidney dish to die, it doesn't and never will sit well with me.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

You've failed to grasp the point that you butted in about viability.

If we're putting it in the context of abortion then I don't agree that children are aborted at 24 weeks while babies can survive at 22 weeks, the cutoffs should be the same.

We've been here before, some kids being helped to live at 23 weeks and others left in a kidney dish to die, it doesn't and never will sit well with me.

You really can't see a difference between those two situations? That speaks volumes about your understanding and makes it clear why your opinion in the whole debate counts for f**k all, even if it were an issue that affected you directly. Thankfully. 

7 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

You really can't see a difference between those two situations? That speaks volumes about your understanding and makes it clear why your opinion in the whole debate counts for f**k all, even if it were an issue that affected you directly. Thankfully. 

No, one is wanted and the other is not,  that's the difference, make the cutoffs the same and that is taken out of the conundrum.

1 minute ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

I'm not going to have sex with any of you. You may feel free to white knight ayrmad if you wish, starting now. 

I'm not into white knighting, for better or worse I fight my own corner.

2 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

I'm not going to have sex with any of you. You may feel free to white knight ayrmad if you wish, starting now. 

Shite. In that case I have sympathy for reducing the time limit for most abortions from 5 1/2 months to say 18 weeks, unless the health of the Mother is at risk. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Definitely for worse.

I'm doing fine, nobody has proved that children aren't viable before 24 weeks because they can't.