Heroism

A shooting at a Waffle House in the Nashville has lead to one customer being labelled a 'hero'.  James Shaw Jr tackled the gunman when he paused to reload his automatic rifle and succeeded in disarming him.  Shaw was grazed with a bullet and burned his hands during the struggle.  He has denied he is a hero, saying he acted to save himself and broke down when asked about it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43862504

Famously Scotland had several heroes including John Smeaton who tackled an attempted suicide bomber at Glasgow Airport.  

Have any P&Bers ever been a hero?

Have any P&Bers ever tackled a nude man armed with a machine gun (the shooter was nude btw)?

Have any P&Bers ever been to a waffle house, they sound amazing, do they have them in the UK?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Disappointing lack of Armed Forces personnel in this thread.

Never heard of anyone in the armed forces shooting nude, health and safety nightmare, spent cartridges all up in your business. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Never heard of anyone in the armed forces shooting nude, health and safety nightmare, spent cartridges all up in your business. 

I just assumed that someone, somwhere, would have shouted "Naked Bar" at an inappropriate moment.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve seen comments on here before about Smeeton being a Walter Mitty character who actually did f**k all, although I’ve no idea where those stories have come from.

He did stand by and let his club die, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. 

13 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

You see these people on the news all the time being all humble and playing down their actions. I'd be like "YOU'RE FUCKING RIGHT I'M A HERO, DID YOU NOT HEAR WHAT I DID?"

Wheelchair races at Ninewells doesn’t qualify.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve seen comments on here before about Smeeton being a Walter Mitty character who actually did f**k all, although I’ve no idea where those stories have come from.

Best thing to do in a situation like that is to repeat said stories, imho.

I saw a baggage handler claim that Smeaton was nowhere near the incident.

30 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Best thing to do in a situation like that is to repeat said stories, imho.

It’s a very vague memory of someone, possibly @Rugster, saying Smeeton was a liar and then people agreeing with him. I have no idea tbh and I may have just imagined the whole thing and am besmirching the good name of Smeeto. 

From memory it was one of the other baggage handlers who booted the fiery suicide failure in the balls. Smeaton was just on hand with the "This is Glasgow, we'll set about ye" soundbite, which ended up getting all the publicity and making him synonymous with suicide bomber ball bootings.

21 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s a very vague memory of someone, possibly @Rugster, saying Smeeton was a liar and then people agreeing with him. I have no idea tbh and I may have just imagined the whole thing and am besmirching the good name of Smeeto. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1581846/Glasgow-hero-John-Smeaton-branded-a-fake.html

3 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I once saw two naked rugby lads tackling a fully clothed fella to the ground before pulling his shorts down and licking his arsehole. 

Was that part of their trial for Clyde? 

Archived