St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle 28/04/2018

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For an end of season game with little at stake for us, I got really annoyed at our second half performance. Just absolute carelessness time after time in attack or from midfield to attack meant we wasted the ball every time.  Thistle were wide open in the second half and with a bit of quality Saints should  have been a few goals ahead.

Was anyone really surprised thistle equalised? I thought it was coming for a while simply because we spent the last 20 minutes wanting the game to be over. We were crying out for a change but Wright did the old just wait they might not score rather than be proactive routine.

Thats the second week running we've been the better side and wasted the opportunity to take points.

On the plus side, we looked comfortably better than thistle for the first time in a while, Willocks is beginning to look like a decent midfielder, and he and Spoony showed there might be life after Midge and Muzz after all.  Williams looks pacey, tricky and makes good runs in behind but I want to see end product off him over the next few weeks. The number of times I thought today (and last week) that it nearly came off for him, or he nearly got the break of the ball... I'm hoping this isn't going to be the norm.

Feel a bit sorry for Ando being stuck out on the left side of defence as his distribution in the first half was awful at times. Tanser did okay but he's got to be more positive in getting a touch past the full back to get his cross in.

Credit to Tommy Wright and the Saints players for the past two games. We've had little to play for but still put everything into the matches when other teams might have been half arsed in our position. Would like to see a few more fringe players involved in the next couple of weeks, give a couple of young lads a start now we're mathematically safe.

The Thistle defender not being booked for pressing Maclean's head down into the ground when he was on top of him summed up another abysmal refereeing display. But Maclean pulling himself up by the neck of the Thistle player's jersey was tremendous. Fair play to the thistle kit manufacturer, can't believe it didn't rip!

Decent Thistle support through, big game for them next week.

Never seen a support celebrate a draw at Perth with such vigour! Must be a huge scalp after all 

You can’t have been to many games then. Every team that scores late to get a draw celebrates as if it is a win. Doesn’t matter how wee the scalp is

Fair play to The Saintees. Their programme was a good read and there wasn't too much fucking about getting out of the car park for once. The steak pie was not bad either.

I look forward to visiting on league business again next season.

8 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Fair play to The Saintees. Their programme was a good read and there wasn't too much fucking about getting out of the car park for once. The steak pie was not bad either.

I look forward to visiting on league business again next season.

:lol:

5ae587f6ed057_giphy(11).gif.58a2919ac6179e49f9a3a82a704d5738.gif

Not at our best but a point on the board is all that matters.

It felt like a St Johnstone goal was coming so it was no great surprise when it did; it was a poor one to concede nonetheless.

It was clear that we had to make the same formation change as last week and almost as soon as Sammon came on, I felt that we started to gain the upper hand. As much as it leaves us slightly open when the ball is turned over, it gives much more attacking threat and two up top is where you'll see the best of Sammon for my money.

We struggled to break down St J's two banks of defence and the goal didn't appear to be coming. I thought our switches of play were far too slow (Woods culpable) and when we had the ball wide, any delivery was just meat and drink for the likes of Anderson and Shaughnessy.

On balance , I thought it probably was a penalty; silly challenge from Craig to make. Expertly dispatched by Sammon. 

Christie had a fine game and if he can find a bit of consistency with his distribution, will be a very accomplished full back at this level. If he hadn't picked up a broken ankle earlier in the season, he'd have been well in the running for POTY.

It was surely only by virtue of Booth's injury that Spittal wasn't hooked. How he has completed 90 minutes in the last two weeks is quite staggering considering his overall lack of input. I reluctantly accepted his presence in the team as a (poor) set piece taker but Woods has commandeered that responsibility. We've got enough to do without carrying a player through a game.

If Jack Ross can get a tune out of Paul McGinn at this level, it'll surely confirm his Messiah status - that boy is fucking guff.

I really liked the look of Willock in midfield for St J who had a good battle with young McCarthy who again did himself no harm with another decent display. 

Square go on Friday.

f**k knows how we've scored three goals in two games, I haven't seen us this toothless since we were starting Jim Hamilton. A pedestrian midfield that takes an age to shift the ball, and an insistence on playing it wide despite having no presence in the box. The closest we came to having any joy was Elliott running inside after crossing the halfway line which at least led to involving Erskine a bit more, but that happened far too seldom. 

Performances continue to be a cause for concern, but you can't help but feel encouraged when you get an absolute gift like that penalty to keep our post-split results on track.  We probably need maximum points now for any chance of 10th, but I'd have taken a play-off going into the split and I still would. Biggest game in years on Friday.

If you'd offered me a win against Accies and a draw away to St Johnstone when the post split fixtures were confirmed I'd have taken it tbh. All hinges on us beating County on Friday but those 4 points gives us a decent chance at 11th. 10th might be too much to ask.

It's still been a shite season but 4 pts when we've been down 1-0 both times is a small mercy.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:50, RandomGuy. said:

Stonewaller I'm afraid. I'm officially fucking done with Liam Craig. Cruising to a win and he lunges in about three minutes late when a harmless ball is trundling towards goal. He's cost us at least two of the last three goals we've conceded, and offered nothing the other way. 

Apart from a tremendous assist for the opener.  Random wrong again shock.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived