St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle 28/04/2018

Second up on Maclean and Mannus' farewell tour is Partick Thistle at home. Another game that means an awful lot more to the opposition than it does to us, and another game where we have exceptionally limited attacking options, albeit we're boosted slightly by Scougall's return from the bench against Dundee. 

In terms of the rest of the squad. Kane, McMillan, Johnstone, Alston and Easton will all still out injured and Davidson will be missing as he serves the final game of his suspension.  You never know I suppose - Scougall appearing on the bench was a nice surprise, so perhaps McMillan or Easton will appear on the bench for this one too.

In terms of the team, I quite like the 3-5-2 but we don't seem to score very often with it. We also have the added difficulty of playing an attacking midfielder out of position or play Robertson who looked lively in his brief cameo on Saturday. I'd be tempted to go for a 4-2-3-1 as I think the players we currently have available suit that formation better than the 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 which maybe suits the squad better as a whole when everyone is fit.

I'd quite like to see us go;

Mannus (it'll be Clark)

Shaughnessy Kerr Anderson Tanser

Millar Willock

Wotherspoon Scougall Williams

Maclean

Tanser, Williams and Scougall linking up on the left would be simply divine. Wotherspoon has been poor for most of the season but there's not really any better option on the right and this team shoehorns in our best available players into positions where they are all at least comfortable.

I suspect this'll be an away win. The game just means more to Partick Thistle than it does ourselves. We did give a spirited account of ourselves on Saturday all things considered, but I think that's because Neil McCann and Tommy Wright fell out in the lead up to the match. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve beaten Saints 3 times already this season. Saints have got lots of injuries and nothing to play for. Thistle are pretty much full strength and need to get something from the game.

Taking all these things into consideration... 2-0 St Johnstone.

I have a feeling our exciting stylish brand of football which is essentially just cross deep balls straight into an area where the goalkeeper can claim them won't work as effectively in this game as it did against a Hamilton side incapable of claiming 2nd balls. 

In Thistle's last 35 away matches against top flight opposition (since October 2016), they have won just six games, four of them at McDiarmid Park. In the last 14 months, it's four away wins (against top division teams) and three of those have been against Saints. Ridiculous on our part.

This is undoubtedly the away game they'd have picked if given the choice for the post-split fixtures.

27 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I have a feeling our exciting stylish brand of football which is essentially just cross deep balls straight into an area where the goalkeeper can claim them won't work as effectively in this game as it did against a Hamilton side incapable of claiming 2nd balls. 

You clearly haven't seen a lot of Saints.. 

Baws oot football pls, otherwise I'll struggle to care about this match at all. We looked completely toothless without Kane so need to get more players forward. 

Mannus

Comrie - Kerr - Gordon - Tanser 

Wotherspoon - Willock - Millar - Williams 

Scougall 

MacLean 

Won't even be close though. 

Comrie and Gordon need tested to see how they go. Willock can't be properly judged until he has a run. 

Interesting to see if the players can bring their second half performance to the plate on Saturday.

Saints don't have much to play for aside from keeping ahead of Motherwell in the race for 7th place money.

Either a dispiriting 1-0 defeat or a morale boosting 2-1 victory for the Jags.

Free buses laid on so might see a decent away crowd.

FB_IMG_1523392154707.thumb.jpg.dc9514dab9f51c769f7a86b74e891c58.jpg

1 hour ago, Radford said:

In Thistle's last 35 away matches against top flight opposition (since October 2016), they have won just six games, four of them at McDiarmid Park. In the last 14 months, it's four away wins (against top division teams) and three of those have been against Saints. Ridiculous on our part.

This is undoubtedly the away game they'd have picked if given the choice for the post-split fixtures.

This has all come after us being unable to beat St Johnstone away for about 30 years. Football makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

McMillan getting a run out for the U20s tonight. Just in time for him to get another rap in the puss from Cerny.

Scougall starts too, with Hendry on the bench. 

Just in time for some game time before this awful season ends. 

1 hour ago, Thistle4eva said:

Are St Johnstone actually safe yet ?

12th is impossible, but they could finish 11th. They won't be anywhere near, but it is still mathematically possible. For example, if Saints lose all their games, Accies & Thistle win all their games, Dundee lose to Accies & Thistle but beat Well & County, you would be left with a table of:

Well 42 - Accies 42 - Thistle 40 - Dundee 39 - Saints 38 - County 30

There are other permutations which could see them finish 11th as well. But the likelihood of them even going into the last day still in danger must be a fraction of a percent, let alone them actually finishing 11th. St Johnstone are safe.

Archived