Raith V Alloa The championship decider

4 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Its far from over. Anything can happen on saturday, All the the teams in this league have shown they can beat each other. Games against alloa have been tight all season, so we are taking nothing for granted.

Apart from East Fife :)

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/04/2018 at 15:26, Number1IsJamieAdams said:

I am not saying Raith 'only' won because Stranraer lay down but I'm saying that it's a bit convenient that Raith who barely win away and I think have won 1 away game all season to a team in the top half of the league all season suddenly win 3-0. Don't tell me Stranraer tried to win or get anything from the game.

It’s irelevant how we performed against Stranraer or how they performed it was your own team who let you down regarding them not turning up in the first half and barely the second half rovers can only beat who’s put in front of them. Winning away proves nothing if we are top so we must be doing something right

It may well be down to water having been isolated due to lack of use.
There is a responsibility to maintain water quality whether it be through usage or maintaining min/max temperatures.
If the water requires reinstating, the pipework and storage tanks would have to be chlorinated and the cost is most likely prohibitive.

The cost of that water maintenances is relatively inexpensive. It probably costs more to switch the floodlights on for an evening kick off.

to be fair, and the more I think about it, we would need an attendance of somewhere near 5,000 folk to fill the main stand and south stand - its a sad state of affairs that I don't think we'll get 4,000, even with it being a league decider, so whats the point in paying for the extra stewarding and expense to open up other stands when the 2 we will have open is adequate.

4,000 would be good for us for a League 1 title decider.

How many did we get last time? 4300 for a guaranteed league title.

How many against Berwick Rangers back in 2003? Was it about 2500?

Personally, I’d only open the North Stand or Railway Stand if we want to keep Alloa to their own stand. Otherwise I’d just stick them in the corner as usual. I can’t see us filling the South Stand and Main Stand.

Don't think we've necessarily lost form. The Stranraer defeat was quite simply due to Shankland getting sent off. Stupid challenge which, as they say, gave the ref a decision to make. Viewed through my magic black and white specs, I thought a red was slightly harsh. And that ref had already stolen two points off us by giving Alloa a phantom penalty in our 3-3 draw at Somerset.  A mistake he later acknowledged. Thought the ref on Sunday had balanced the books by giving us what looked like a softish penalty. But there you go.

Not only did Shankland cost us the Stranraer game but significantly weakened us for the next two. We also lost Reid to injury early on, one of our two remaining fit full backs.  You might say a perfect storm.  So for the Alloa game we were without 5 first team players - Boyle, Reid, Docherty, Higgins, Shankland.  It should have been 6, as Geegan should not have been in the squad as he was not fully fit.  A calculated gamble that didn't pay off as he cost us both goals.

All teams get injuries obviously but our mini crisis has hit at just the wrong time. Chance the manager takes when he signs injury prone players. Alloa would have been tough even with our full squad available, so defeat was no surprise. Yet, at the end of the day we threw the draw, and potentially the league, away by missing a penalty. Can't be too harsh about Shankland and Moore given they've scored nearly 50 goals between them and helped immensely in getting us to where we were 2 games ago, with the league effectively in the bag. 

Talking about teams not trying, I don't think they consciously go out and decide they couldn't care less about the result.  But it definitely takes that edge away that you need to win tight games. Both Alloa and Stranraer needed points when we played them.  Stranraer didn't when you played them, barring some outlandish high scoring.  Alloa don't when you play them unless they have some preference between 3rd and 4th.  Also I honestly think they would prefer us in the playoffs rather than Raith, given they've beaten us twice this season and drawn once. See what paranoia can do to you.  And that's from someone whose forever slagging off online conspiracy theorists.

Finally, Raith have form when it comes to nicking the title off us.  Didn't you do it about 10 years ago when we drew with Alloa (them again !) and you beat QP. If I remember rightly, you had a storming finish that time as well with something like 8 wins in a row. Given our head to head games, Ayr would appear to be by far the better team.  But you've got to do it against the so called smaller teams as well and Raith have done that a lot better than us. Assuming luck evens out over a season the final table doesn't lie. Also, Raith can't hold a candle to us when it comes to conceding comedy goals.  Geegan's howler on Sunday was simply the latest in a catalogue of similar travesties throughout the season. I assume most of you have already had a quick gloat over the You Tube compilation somebody kindly put online. 

I confidently predict a comfortable Raith win on Saturday. It's only natural that you lot are a bit nervous about it. You might do what we did against Stranraer, for example. But don't worry, you won't.  If by some miracle you do drop points, it would be peak Ayr to emulate you. Albion still need a point to ensure 9th. so I think it's going to be a tough game. Ideally, you lose and we draw so we win the league on goal difference. A fitting reward for our magnificent goal difference. 

Don't think we've necessarily lost form. The Stranraer defeat was quite simply due to Shankland getting sent off. Stupid challenge which, as they say, gave the ref a decision to make. Viewed through my magic black and white specs, I thought a red was slightly harsh. And that ref had already stolen two points off us by giving Alloa a phantom penalty in our 3-3 draw at Somerset.  A mistake he later acknowledged. Thought the ref on Sunday had balanced the books by giving us what looked like a softish penalty. But there you go.
Not only did Shankland cost us the Stranraer game but significantly weakened us for the next two. We also lost Reid to injury early on, one of our two remaining fit full backs.  You might say a perfect storm.  So for the Alloa game we were without 5 first team players - Boyle, Reid, Docherty, Higgins, Shankland.  It should have been 6, as Geegan should not have been in the squad as he was not fully fit.  A calculated gamble that didn't pay off as he cost us both goals.
All teams get injuries obviously but our mini crisis has hit at just the wrong time. Chance the manager takes when he signs injury prone players. Alloa would have been tough even with our full squad available, so defeat was no surprise. Yet, at the end of the day we threw the draw, and potentially the league, away by missing a penalty. Can't be too harsh about Shankland and Moore given they've scored nearly 50 goals between them and helped immensely in getting us to where we were 2 games ago, with the league effectively in the bag. 
Talking about teams not trying, I don't think they consciously go out and decide they couldn't care less about the result.  But it definitely takes that edge away that you need to win tight games. Both Alloa and Stranraer needed points when we played them.  Stranraer didn't when you played them, barring some outlandish high scoring.  Alloa don't when you play them unless they have some preference between 3rd and 4th.  Also I honestly think they would prefer us in the playoffs rather than Raith, given they've beaten us twice this season and drawn once. See what paranoia can do to you.  And that's from someone whose forever slagging off online conspiracy theorists.
Finally, Raith have form when it comes to nicking the title off us.  Didn't you do it about 10 years ago when we drew with Alloa (them again !) and you beat QP. If I remember rightly, you had a storming finish that time as well with something like 8 wins in a row. Given our head to head games, Ayr would appear to be by far the better team.  But you've got to do it against the so called smaller teams as well and Raith have done that a lot better than us. Assuming luck evens out over a season the final table doesn't lie. Also, Raith can't hold a candle to us when it comes to conceding comedy goals.  Geegan's howler on Sunday was simply the latest in a catalogue of similar travesties throughout the season. I assume most of you have already had a quick gloat over the You Tube compilation somebody kindly put online. 
I confidently predict a comfortable Raith win on Saturday. It's only natural that you lot are a bit nervous about it. You might do what we did against Stranraer, for example. But don't worry, you won't.  If by some miracle you do drop points, it would be peak Ayr to emulate you. Albion still need a point to ensure 9th. so I think it's going to be a tough game. Ideally, you lose and we draw so we win the league on goal difference. A fitting reward for our magnificent goal difference. 
By far the better team? You guys beat us twice... We won one and drew the other. Hardly a massive gap between the teams(the table will back this up) . We have lost three games less and much better defensive record. Don't know where you ayr fans get that uz are by far a better team!! No point in scoring plenty goals if you can't defend .

By far the better team? You guys beat us twice... We won one and drew the other. Hardly a massive gap between the teams(the table will back this up) . We have lost three games less and much better defensive record. Don't know where you ayr fans get that uz are by far a better team!! No point in scoring plenty goals if you can't defend .

Yeah you’re top of the table are probably deserve to win the league but the results between the two teams show that we are a better team than yourselves.

It’s results elsewhere like vs Alloa and Forfar that have cost us this season.

In fairness to the Ayr fan he does make a good point. The league table often lies and the best side don't always win the title.

Take the Championship for example, Dunfermline are a much better side than St Mirren and we're currently 4th! 

If Raith do win the league they won't deserve it. Hopefully it'll be a catalyst for change and a fairer way of determining the best side over the course of a season. 

In fairness to the Ayr fan he does make a good point. The league table often lies and the best side don't always win the title.
Take the Championship for example, Dunfermline are a much better side than St Mirren and we're currently 4th! 
If Raith do win the league they won't deserve it. Hopefully it'll be a catalyst for change and a fairer way of determining the best side over the course of a season. 

I’ll give that 2/10.

:lol:

1 hour ago, somerset_lad said:

Yeah you’re top of the table are probably deserve to win the league but the results between the two teams show that we are a better team than yourselves.

It’s results elsewhere like vs Alloa and Forfar that have cost us this season.

What does that prove zilch, your statement is absolute drivel! Anyway you hold on to that as scant consolation that Ayrs better than Rovers because you have beaten us twice. Whoever finishes top is the best team and it could be Ayr still so Ayr will be the best team!

1 hour ago, Jimmy85 said:

Excellent post Jimmy85 

Ayr fans moaning about injures, every team gets injuries. We lost our first choice keeper before the season started, our backup is made of glass and plays a few then out for month's. The best centre half in this league, Benedictus was injured back in September playing Ayr and is yet to fully recover. Our only true recognised leftback has been missing most of the season and Scott Robertson our best midfielder has missed large chunks,of the season through injury. At some point in the season all these players were out at the same time.

To the Dunfermline fan, sorry but St Mirren have proved since January 2017 when they started there run that they are the best side in that league. 

3 hours ago, jm86 said:

Given our head to head games, Ayr would appear to be by far the better team.

On that basis, Alloa and Arbroath are by far better teams than Ayr? 

Archived