tv coverage of Scottish Cup

bendan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.png.31cc9c2fb17bfc84f5ceaaaf25068577.png

Can remember once in the pre-mobile phone days doing a live report on a Clyde v Stranraer game for this lot from a phone box outside Shawfield.  Had to hold the door shut with one hand to prevent an angry wifey interrupting.  She was annoyed at how long I had been using the phone.

I could imagine it earlier, the most Scottish thing ever being:

"and do you Harry, take Meghan to be your lawfu..."

***We interrupt this broadcast to bring you extended pre-match coverage of the Scottish Cup final, beginning with Round 1 highlights from Civil Service Strollers versus Strathspey Thistle. The Royal wedding will continue on the BBC News channel, channel 107 for Freeview users***

(The way it f***ing should be)

2 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

I'm looking forward to the day when Liam McLeod stops being the BBC's #1 commentator. 

I'd prefer to watch games without being shouted at by a spitting hyperbolist. 

I only regret being unable to give more than one greenie to this.

The next contract could be interesting. I think Sky have only taken the Scottish Cup in the past as a package deal with Scotland qualifiers, but they don't need to do that now because those are sold centrally by UEFA. Scottish Cup is of limited value to Sky, because you don't know if there will be any games that are good for ratings (although the SFA have tried their best by drawing OF and Edinburgh derbies every season for the last god knows how many years), they can't show replays now (thanks to UEFA) and the final has to be on free-to-air TV in Scotland.

I think it will end up on BBC, with some of the early rounds shunted off to the new channel or ALBA.

5 hours ago, bendan said:

Is there a reason nothing has been announced? Is it somehow linked to who gets the new SPFL deal for 2020 onwards?

It isn't linked to the SPFL contract, because the Scottish Cup belongs to the SFA. I think it will be one of the first things on Ian Maxwell's to-do list. Regan going is probably one of the reasons it hasn't been done already.

The Scottish Cup is basically the only TV rights the SFA has to sell, but it's value is quite limited. Only five rounds (with Premiership teams involved) each year, you can't show replays because of the UEFA rules, you aren't guaranteed attractive fixtures and the final has to be on free-to-air TV in Scotland. Some of those problems don't apply to the League Cup, which BT took last year, because games are played to a finish and its final doesn't have to be on free-to-air.

When Sky took the Scottish Cup in the past, they were doing it as part of a wider deal with the SFA to get Scotland games. The other "home nations" are fairly valuable to Sky because they don't normally get England games, but all the qualifying games are sold centrally by UEFA now.

48 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

It isn't linked to the SPFL contract, because the Scottish Cup belongs to the SFA. I think it will be one of the first things on Ian Maxwell's to-do list. Regan going is probably one of the reasons it hasn't been done already.

I realise the rights are separately owned, it's just that it's odd for nothing to have been agreed by now. The SPFL deal for 2020 is expected to be agreed in the autumn of this year, so I was wondering if broadcasters (or the SFA) were waiting to see which way that went before concluding the cup deal. No matter what, you'd expect the BBC to be part of it.

A lot of the money paid out to teams in the cup comes from the TV deal, but now this is completely separate from the international matches, there's a danger funding could drop significantly.

There’s no UEFA rules about showing replays, and there never has been.

There was a memorandum of understanding between the EPFL and UEFA that means no top division or national cup games would be televised against the Champions League. But this MOU has now expired without a replacement, so as it stands there is nothing to stop cup replays being shown on Champions League nights. It’s unlikely there will be a replacement as well, given the current strained relations between UEFA and the European leagues.

As for the money, the TV deal for 2014/15-2017/18 was signed after the centralisation of qualifier rights. It’ll take a lot to convince me that Sky paid the bulk of their £56m for seven friendlies (a number not even guaranteed).

8 hours ago, The Master said:

There’s no UEFA rules about showing replays, and there never has been.

There was a memorandum of understanding between the EPFL and UEFA that means no top division or national cup games would be televised against the Champions League. But this MOU has now expired without a replacement, so as it stands there is nothing to stop cup replays being shown on Champions League nights. It’s unlikely there will be a replacement as well, given the current strained relations between UEFA and the European leagues.

As for the money, the TV deal for 2014/15-2017/18 was signed after the centralisation of qualifier rights. It’ll take a lot to convince me that Sky paid the bulk of their £56m for seven friendlies (a number not even guaranteed).

Looking back at that, it was a great deal for the SFA / terrible deal for Sky. The SFA got a bit more money for a lot less content.

The SFA can't even offer them the friendly games now as (in theory) the Nations League should take up most/all of those dates. There are a couple of friendlies coming up v Belgium and Portugal, but that's because we happened to get drawn in a three-team group.

Without Scotland games, there's no way that Sky will keep paying the SFA 14M a year just to show the Scottish Cup. That's almost as much as what BT and Sky pay for the whole league!

2 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

Looking back at that, it was a great deal for the SFA / terrible deal for Sky. The SFA got a bit more money for a lot less content.

The SFA can't even offer them the friendly games now as (in theory) the Nations League should take up most/all of those dates. There are a couple of friendlies coming up v Belgium and Portugal, but that's because we happened to get drawn in a three-team group.

Without Scotland games, there's no way that Sky will keep paying the SFA 14M a year just to show the Scottish Cup. That's almost as much as what BT and Sky pay for the whole league!

The previous deal before that (which didn’t include qualifiers) was £60m a year.  That suggests (not accounting for inflation) Sky valued the competitive Scotland home rights at only £4m. What do you think that makes the friendlies worth?

Are you suggesting that the SFA somehow managed to extract more out of Sky than the rights were worth? Excuse me while I go and laugh my arse off in the corner. 

7 minutes ago, The Master said:

The previous deal before that (which didn’t include qualifiers) was £60m a year.  

:huh:

Don't you mean "which included qualifiers" and "£60m over four years"?

The amount paid for 2014-2018 does seem high in the context of the value Sky put on league games at that time, but I suppose there was competitive bidding for the SFA rights whereas the SPFL rights have been suppressed by the nature of the deal signed in 2012.

57 minutes ago, The Master said:

The previous deal before that (which didn’t include qualifiers) was £60m a year.  That suggests (not accounting for inflation) Sky valued the competitive Scotland home rights at only £4m. What do you think that makes the friendlies worth?

Are you suggesting that the SFA somehow managed to extract more out of Sky than the rights were worth? Excuse me while I go and laugh my arse off in the corner. 

Yes, that is what I'm suggesting.

This season, Sky showed nine games in the Scottish Cup.

• Fraserburgh v Rangers
  • Hearts v Hibs
  • Ayr v Rangers
  • Aberdeen v Dundee Utd
  • Celtic v Morton
  • Rangers v Falkirk
  • Motherwell v Aberdeen
  • Celtic v  Rangers
  • Celtic v Motherwell

The two games in bold were also shown on BBC Scotland, so Sky only had seven games exclusively.

You think that lot is worth £14M? There's only two of the exclusive games that are even remotely attractive to TV. No wonder the SFA is having difficulty agreeing a new contract.

46 minutes ago, bendan said:

:huh:

Don't you mean "which included qualifiers" and "£60m over four years"?

Yes, apologies.

£60m over four years reinforces my point, however, since the new deal was £56m for the same time period.

1 minute ago, JamesM82 said:

Yes, that is what I'm suggesting.

This season, Sky showed nine games in the Scottish Cup.

• Fraserburgh v Rangers
  • Hearts v Hibs
  • Ayr v Rangers
  • Aberdeen v Dundee Utd
  • Celtic v Morton
  • Rangers v Falkirk
  • Motherwell v Aberdeen
  • Celtic v  Rangers
  • Celtic v Motherwell

The two games in bold were also shown on BBC Scotland, so Sky only had seven games exclusively.

You think that lot is worth £14M? 

Well, no, because the rights do include the price of Scotland home friendlies, however small. But there's one game in there that also artificially boosts the value of the rights, whether we like it or not. 

I find it bizarre that in a thread primarily about how poorly TV deals are negotiated in Scotland, you're suggesting the SFA managed to pull a fast one on Sky - a broadcaster that notoriously tries to pick up rights at a knock-down price (EPL excepted, since they aren't in control). 

It's not even as if there was a bidding war, because BT were only just finding their feet when this deal was struck which left Sky as the only realistic broadcaster left. 

1 minute ago, The Master said:

Well, no, because the rights do include the price of Scotland home friendlies, however small. But there's one game in there that also artificially boosts the value of the rights, whether we like it or not. 

I find it bizarre that in a thread primarily about how poorly TV deals are negotiated in Scotland, you're suggesting the SFA managed to pull a fast one on Sky - a broadcaster that notoriously tries to pick up rights at a knock-down price (EPL excepted, since they aren't in control). 

It's not even as if there was a bidding war, because BT were only just finding their feet when this deal was struck which left Sky as the only realistic broadcaster left. 

Why is it that bizarre? Sky were paying the SFA £15M pa already, which is chump change to Sky. SFA approach them with a deal that cuts that down to £14M pa. Some junior exec at Sky forgets to check the small print, signs off the deal and fucks off for lunch. Done.

Just now, JamesM82 said:

Why is it that bizarre? Sky were paying the SFA £15M pa already, which is chump change to Sky. SFA approach them with a deal that cuts that down to £14M pa. Some junior exec at Sky forgets to check the small print, signs off the deal and fucks off for lunch. Done.

How could anyone possibly argue against such amazing insight. 

garry-468533.jpg 

8 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

I think these friendlies are compulsory and are part of the centralised TV deal rather than being sold separately.

On 23/04/2018 at 14:01, bendan said:

Yes, the lack of interest in the early rounds is annoying. William Hill (or perhaps it's the SFA) put out some decent round ups on Youtube this season, but it would be nice to see our public service broadcaster showing more interest.

William Hill didn't even take bets on the early rounds last year iirc.

Archived